Profile for Kitty > Reviews

Henna Plus Permanent Hair Colour Powder - Auburn
Henna Plus Permanent Hair Colour Powder - Auburn
Offered by beautifully organic

5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy - lasts for ages., 11 Aug. 2014
This product is excellent and I don't regret buying it. I'd never heard of it before and was experimenting with different natural dyes so took the plunge. It lasts for ages. My hair is light auburn with grey - be careful not to leave it on over half an hour if you have light hair. I tried a section of hair for 10 mins. as a test the first time I used it and then left it a further 40 mins when I dyed it - so as a result one strand of hair was rather orange. Next time I left it only 25 mins and the colour was natural even on the grey bits and it still seems to be lasting for ages. Nor do I use anywhere near all the powder - it's not necessary unless you want a really strong colour. An excellent buy - will be getting it again.

Mark for Everyone (New Testament for Everyone)
Mark for Everyone (New Testament for Everyone)
by Tom Wright

5.0 out of 5 stars Accessible - and serious read, 19 Jan. 2014
An accessible yet serious read - picking up on, and elaborating on, themes from Wright's marvellous 'Christian Origins and the Qu. of God' series. A good format - each section begins with an anecdote, explanation of text and then relevance to us today. I am now reading the Luke text - I'm just hoping for similar texts on Isaiah and Daniel and other OT books. Unfortunately - or fortunately, as the case may be - he has become my NT authority - he sweeps other scholars under the carpet.

Jesus and the Victory of God: Christian Origins and the Question of God: v. 2 (Christian Origins & the Question of God)
by N T Wright

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book - full of clarity and commonsense, 1 Nov. 2013
This is an amazing book and NT Wright writes with a strange authority and a depth of knowledge that is staggering. It is not an 'easy' read, but always accessible and totally compulsive. Anyone - whether Jewish or Christian - should read this; Wright plunges Christians straight back to their Jewish roots where we can at last come to know something of the real Jesus. Now for the next volume...

The God Delusion
The God Delusion
by Richard Dawkins

1.0 out of 5 stars One star for Effort, 24 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The God Delusion (Paperback)
This must rate as one of the most boring books I've ever read. I was expecting some great revelation full of conviction and all I got was a hotch-potch of ill-assorted, half-baked 'arguments' (if they merit that description). I was really shocked that someone of this sort of academic calibre could - 1) produce such ill-digested, illogical 'analysis' and 2) resort to controversy and blatant ridicule. It's a soft option - sneering at everything.

This book is simply a scrapbook - a lifetime's collection of negative anecdotes about religion - from books, complaints in old magazines from unknown authors, dodgy cinema films, obscure academics, tv celebrities etc. etc.. Far too many soft options, undeveloped ideas and sloppy reasoning. It might work at the level of 2 minute tv chat shows - Prof. Dawkins Chucks Some Cabbages at the Catholics - but not for those with a serious interest in the subject.

I was thinking of reading some of his other, more scientific books, but if this is the level of Oxford professors, perhaps not. I think I owe it to myself to read the other side's argument - from someone clearheaded, logical, passionate, rational - and humane. Someone like Thomas Crean.

Nor did I like the rudeness, smugness and superiority that came across in this book.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 18, 2013 10:42 PM BST

God is No Delusion: A Refutation of Richard Dawkins
God is No Delusion: A Refutation of Richard Dawkins
by Thomas Crean

5.0 out of 5 stars ESSENTIAL COMPANION TO DAWKINS, 19 Feb. 2013
A WONDERFUL READ - AND A NECESSARY ONE AFTER THE SLOPPY NON-ARGUMENTS OF DAWKINS. IT STANDS IN ITS OWN RIGHT, NOT JUST AS A REFUTATION OF DAWKINS IN PARTICULAR, BUT AS A REPLY TO ALL THE TREND-SETTING UNDIGESTED, TABLOID HOGWASH THROWN ABOUT IN THE MEDIA RE. FAITH AND RELIGION. THIS BOOK CAN BE READ ON ITS OWN WITHOUT WASTING HOURS OF LIFE ON THE 'DAWKINS DELUSION'. JUST READ CREAN.

IT'S ALSO A BEAUTIFUL LESSON IN LOGICAL THINKING, CLARITY, SINCERITY AND PASSIONATE, BUT POLITE, CONVICTION. READ IT CAREFULLY - ESPECIALLY THE PARTS ON THOMAS AQUINAS. IF YOU REALLY THINK ABOUT IT, THE LOGICAL CONCLUSION TO THE IDEAS OF AQUINAS IS EXTREMELY UNNERVING. I AM NOW OFF TO INVESTIGATE THE WORLD OF THOMAS AQUINAS. THANK YOU FR.CREAN.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 4, 2013 11:46 AM GMT

Handbook of Catholic Apologetics: Reasoned Answers to Questions of Faith
Handbook of Catholic Apologetics: Reasoned Answers to Questions of Faith
by Peter J. Kreeft

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally compulsive, 1 Feb. 2013
This is a wonderful book written with humour, compassion and great conviction. I don't have a background in theology or philosophy and found the early section on 'Faith and Reason' somewhat difficult, but be prepared to plug on, and don't be put off by the first section, and this book will pay dividends. I read it from cover to cover and found it totally enlightening.