Profile for Mac > Reviews

Content by Mac

Mac

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Greek's Marriage Revenge: To have and to hold until truth do them part... (The Hendersons Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Annoying errors!, 23 Dec. 2015
Was a nice quick read, but was ruined by annoying errors such as heroines name flipped from Sophie to Sally and back again at the beginning, ages not consistent...

He's No Prince Charming (Ever After)
He's No Prince Charming (Ever After)

5.0 out of 5 stars It was nice to read a romance novel where you can see ..., 10 May 2015
I literally could not put this book down, as evidenced by my writing this more than a little blurry eyed and sleep deprived.

There was something extremely likable about the hero and heroine, she is strong without being pig-headed and he was just well... him (sigh). It was nice to read a romance novel where you can see why they were falling for each other, rather than love at first sight but nothing else which is commonplace in this genre.

An excellent debut novel, with some funny secondary characters, adventure and sweet moments - will definitely be looking out for future offerings from the author! I recommend you give this a go, perhaps don't start this at night and when you need to be somewhere to be in the morning...

Hard Bitten: A Chicagoland Vampires Novel (Chicagoland Vampires Series)
Hard Bitten: A Chicagoland Vampires Novel (Chicagoland Vampires Series)
by Chloe Neill

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Bag, 7 May 2011
I am a huge fan of the Chicagoland Vampire series and was literally counting down the days till the release of this book. So I'm a little disappointed with what I got after the roller-coaster that was Twice Bitten.

The book starts off well enough with murder and mayhem caused by underground vampire raves which Merit is left to investigate after an ultimatum from the Mayor. Things get a little bit more complicated when the Greenwich Presidium roll into town and Merit has to conduct her investigation under the radar. To me the tone of the book is different from the others, this one had some 24-esque slash Buffy moments slash True Blood moments - not what I've come to expect from Chicagoland and to be honest I found the middle of the book kind of slow and boring. Also, the dialogue kind of bothered me - whereas before each character had their own unique tone here everyone was kind of samey and inconsistent.

There were some sweet Merit-Ethan moments, you get to know newer characters better (Jonah) and some classic Mallory dialogue.

This book is very much about Merit growing up and coming into her own, but there was just too much Merit (Shocker! How could there be too much of our fave heroine?) - I thought the book could have done with a sub plot to really flesh out the book.

The ending was a corker and the only reason I gave the book 3 stars rather than 2 stars. The last 15 - 20 pages were fast paced and had some shocking revelations - I might not agree with them all it certainly left me wanting more.

This book is definitely for Chicagoland fans and fingers crossed that Chloe Neill can rein it all back and not take it in a Buffy - Jack Bauer direction.

Afterlight : The Dark Ink Chronicles
Afterlight : The Dark Ink Chronicles
by Elle Jasper
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars, an OK read, but missing something..., 29 Jan. 2011
Riley Poe is a former wild child, who cleaned up her act, owns a tattoo parlour and is single handedly raising her kid brother. After her brother Seth unwittingly gets caught up in some trouble, Riley finds herself thrust into a world she never knew existed and going back to a world she fought to leave in order to save her brother.

On paper, to me this sounds like my cup of tea - but upon finishing it it was only OK. I think the problem is this book has so much potential, but it was bogged down in places by repetitive dialogue/thoughts/actions which slowed down the pace of the book.

The author is amazing at capturing details on the surroundings - there were times that I could really picture what Savannah and the south must be like.

Riley makes an interesting heroine, she's got a past and is no nonsense, tough and fiercely loyal to those she loves. Although when you get down to the nuts and bolts, how different is she from other heroines in the genre? Not really that different, strong character - check, pretty (albeit in a slightly alternative way) - check, ability to deliver a verbal and physical b**ch slapping - check. But the best part of Riley is her softer side, the relationships that she has managed to cultivate despite her past and the fact that she would be willing to sacrifice herself for the ones she loves.

Another criticism is her relationship with Eli (the brooding hot vampire), in places it sizzles and others it repetitive. They face the usual obstacles, Riley having blood that is super yummy to vamps and Eli having a blood issue. However, they seem to get over it too easily. Also, the fact that at times Riley is quite focused on Eli contradicts the fact that the most important person to her in the world is her brother.

The book really picks up towards the end, but not enough to make me forget the slow pace two-thirds in. Would I read the sequel Everdark: The Dark Ink Chronicles - yes, as there were some threads that were left hanging that were interesting to me. I reckon the best is yet to come.

Twice Bitten: A Chicagoland Vampires Novel (Chicagoland Vampires Series)
Twice Bitten: A Chicagoland Vampires Novel (Chicagoland Vampires Series)
by Chloe Neill

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in the series so far - let there be more!, 24 Jan. 2011
This series just gets better and better! If you have read the other two novels, then you must get this book. If you haven't read this series before, please go and buy all three - you won't regret it.

This novel continues to build on the supernatural world with more of an insight into the shifter community within the Chicagoland world, with Merit and Ethan smack bang in the middle of all the action and drama.

What made this book for me was the developments between Merit and Ethan - they finally get together (sort of) and some of the scenes between them are simply wow - if I was a swooner, I would swoon.

Theres action, romance and the usual witty Merit one liners - whats not to love?

Plus you finally get to find out Merit's first name!

Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, Book 3)
Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, Book 3)
by Faith Hunter
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars The Yellowrock world gets bigger, 23 Jan. 2011
The third book in the Jane Yellowrock series does not disappoint.

The book starts off with the Supernatural world getting bigger with the Werewolves and Werecats coming out of the closet, this in turns throws out a bunch of problems for the Vamps and hence Jane. To top it off her boyfriend, Rick disappears whilst undercover.

I did enjoy this book, but there is quite a lot to absorb - new characters, new species, more lore, quite a few plot lines.

Annoyingly, this book had an amazing ending which leaves you wanting more - like right now!

If you liked the other books, then you will love this, maybe not just for the storylines, but for the character development and flashbacks/insight into Jane's past, oh and tensions between Jane and Bruiser.

I feel I must point out I'm definitely a Team Rick (despite some events in this book...)

Stolen
Stolen
by Lucy Christopher

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS BOOK!!!, 23 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Stolen (Paperback)
I absolutely loved this book, I couldn't put it down and finished it in a few hours.

The story is told from Gemma's point of view throughout her ordeal of being snatched from her life as she knows it and stuck in a land that is both alien to her and isolated.

Gemma makes a very good narrator, you can really feel her fear, pain, confusion and conflict. Its a bit of a roller-coaster of emotions, that by the end you as a reader are not sure what you should be feeling, whats right and the various shades of gray.

Kudos to Lucy Christopher for the creation of Ty - how on earth is she able to make you sympathise and love Ty, who is essentially a damaged, mentally ill villain?

I highly recommend you read this, you wont regret it and you won't want it to end. Suitable for all ages.

Abus  165/40  Combination Padlock
Abus 165/40 Combination Padlock

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Product, 23 Jan. 2011
Bought this for Gym use and I have to say it is well worth the money. Its very easy to set up the combination, fits the different types of lockers at my two gyms and is a very solid built product. Why take the chance with a cheaper product to protect your belongings?

Alpha (Shifters 6)
Alpha (Shifters 6)
by Rachel Vincent

4.0 out of 5 stars Bittersweet ending to a fab series, 1 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Alpha (Shifters 6) (Paperback)
I loved the series - each book was better than the last, so whilst I liked this book I didnt love it as much as the others i.e. Prey (Faythe Sanders - Book 4) (MIRA).

The book is very much all about Faythe, her struggle to grow up and the whole choosing between Marc and Jace. I would have preferred slightly more about the secondary characters - mention of secondary characters felt rushed just to wrap things up. There were parts where I was getting a little sick of Faythe, it was just a little bit too much me me me.

The pace of the book was fast and action packed, it starts with a bang and ends with one, with some really emotional scenes in between.

The book obviously ends with Faythe's choice, who she chooses is pretty obvious to me in the last few chapters which is why I was dreading the end, hoping desperately that somehow she would choose the other guy instead of whats-his-face - which is probably why I didnt like this as much! I am a big Team *a** fan (like I'm gonna give away the ending!)

On the plus side, whilst everything has been wrapped up (the big bad slain, boyfriend chosen...) there seems to be a lot more to tell, please Ms Vincent, can we have another book - pretty please?!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2011 4:26 PM BST

Business Economics
Business Economics
by Maria Moschandreas

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 14 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Business Economics (Paperback)
This book is very well written and very easy to understand in comparison to other business books out there. It contained a lot of information which allowed me to use it for two of my modules. Only drawback is that some subjects are not covered in as much detail as you would like, so check it out first.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4