Profile for Dr D > Reviews

Content by Dr D

Dr D (Cambridge, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Mens Slip on Canvas Summer Shoes (10, Denim Blue)
Mens Slip on Canvas Summer Shoes (10, Denim Blue)
Offered by Footwear Sensation

2.0 out of 5 stars Too small, £3 to return, 18 May 2017
I normally buy size 10.5 from Clarks, so after reading other reviews that said how big these shoes were, I ordered size 10. Too small - could not even get my foot in the shoe. It costs £3 to return. Ordered size 11. Too small - I could get my foot in the shoe this time but it was still too small both length-wise and width-wise. Another £3 to return.

I am six quid down and have no shoes... Do yourself a favour, get out to Sports Direct or something. They ought to have something similar for a tenner too.

JML Non-Stick Regis Stone Pan Set with Anti-Scratch Surface (Set of 2)
JML Non-Stick Regis Stone Pan Set with Anti-Scratch Surface (Set of 2)
Offered by JML Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars great buy, 28 April 2017
Three months of heavy use - still like new. Great quality, easy to wash. They do seem to take a bit longer to "warm up" than my previous Tefals. Of course you put a bit of oil on it.

I did not expect to like the little one that much - am trying to find little jobs for it whenever possible. Would definitely recommend.

The North Face Mens' Borealis Backpack - Blue (Urban Navy), One Size
The North Face Mens' Borealis Backpack - Blue (Urban Navy), One Size

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality but too heavy and narrow, 28 April 2017
I had to send it back. It is a quality backpack, nice and sturdy, but it is SO HEAVY!!! My old Nike airflow 30L backpack that I am using to commute to work weighs under 500 g. I do not carry a laptop with me, just a lunch box and a few bits and bobs of a combined weight of under a kilo. This Borealis backpack weighs 1.2 kilos empty. If you are carrying 5+ kilos, it probably distributes the weight better, but I am not prepared to carry extra 700 g every day just for that.

Despite being described as having a depth of 22 cm, it is too narrow to fit my 21 cm camera bag. A 20 cm tupperware does not quite fit in flat and has to be transported on its side. A football wouldn't fit in it. Aarghhh!!! None of these was a problem with my old bag. Not for me.

AFAITH Portable Folding Ultra Aluminum alloy Tripod Compact Desktop Macro Mini Tripod Kit with CK-30 Ball Head for Canon Nikon DSLR Camera -Black
Offered by AFAITHMALL

5.0 out of 5 stars my favourite tripod, 18 Mar. 2017
I wanted a small but sturdy tripod with a ball head to use for macro work and for occasional landscape shooting, for both of which my old full-sized video tripod was not ideal. The choice was mainly between this Cambofoto and a very similar Zomei model that comes with an additional bracket for a smartphone. I also considered a smaller and less expensive Slik tabletop and a bigger and more expensive Velbon model but both of them have their own proprietary quick release plates. I wanted a standard Swiss Arca clamp so I could use a tripod with my L-bracket that allows mounting the camera in either portrait or landscape orientation. It works great!

The best thing about this tripod is the modular assembly - you can reverse the central column to mount the camera upside down, remove the ballhead and use it independently with say a monopod, or add a focusing rail between the ballhead and the legs. Very versatile and well thought through.

The 28 mm ball head holds my 1.8 kg rig at any awkward angle just fine. It is easy to adjust and quite smooth in operation.

The legs are a bit tricky. If you put them close to each other, it is easy to tip the camera over. If you spread them apart, make sure the central column is touching the floor and supports the weight of the camera. Otherwise the legs flex a bit and the whole set up is rather wobbly. I mainly use the middle out of the three positions of the leg locks with legs fully collapsed - it is rock solid.

Note that the locks on the legs have a considerable amount of grease - you might want to give them a good wipe and wash your hands before handling your lenses.

Trespass Men's Edwin Jacket - Khaki, Large
Trespass Men's Edwin Jacket - Khaki, Large

4.0 out of 5 stars good materials, good design, messy stiching, 18 Mar. 2017
I got size L and it fits well as expected. The sleeves are quite long, perfect for people about 6'0" to 6'4" tall. After a month of wear the coat is still waterproof and did not fall apart. The coat is not particularly warm, perfect for about 5-10 degrees C, over a T-shirt and a jumper.

There are 5 pockets in total, all with zips: 2 main ones with fleece lining, one at the chest level next to the logo, one hidden right next to it (need to undo the velcro to access) and one internal pocket on the left (need to unzip the coat to access). The last pocket opens to the side, has mesh lining and is about as big as an A6 piece of paper, a bit useless.

The main gripe is the stitching that was sticking out all over the place and took about half an hour to trim with scissors and tidy up with a lighter.

Clynelish 14 Years Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 70cl
Clynelish 14 Years Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 70cl

5.0 out of 5 stars perfectly balanced and has a long warm finish - a perfect winter tipple, 9 Jan. 2017
I've currently got about 20 malts in my collection but somehow keep reaching for this one... Just poured a shot and thought I'd say thank you to people who make this nectar. It is very smooth, perfectly balanced and has a long warm finish - a perfect winter tipple.

Tefal Illusion 28cm Frying Pan
Tefal Illusion 28cm Frying Pan
Offered by AMAZINGTRENDS

1.0 out of 5 stars It is smaller than 28 cm, 7 Jan. 2017
This review is from: Tefal Illusion 28cm Frying Pan
I wanted to replace my old Tefal Intensium 28 cm Frying Pan with this Tefal Illusion 28 cm. It turns out that the new Tefal measures only 26.7 cm while the old one was 28 cm as expected. Had to take this frying pan back as the old 28 cm lid was far too big for it.

Whiskey Stones Gift Set. Best Performing Granite Drink Rocks. Great Chilling Quality Sipping Stone. Keep Your Beverage Cool For Longer With No Dilution. Perfect Gift For Any Occasion.
Offered by Drinking Rocks Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for single malts, 5 Dec. 2016
I can see how these can be useful for drinking Baileys, vodka or a cheap and rough blended whisky but who in their right mind puts ice in a single malt? Now you can buy special stones that will reduce the temperature of your whisky, freezing its aroma and making it taste dull. The clever part is to sell these as a gift set to people who don't know much about whisky. Marketing genius.

If you want to buy a present for a whisky drinker, buy a bottle of whisky. If on a budget, get a book or some tulip-shaped glasses or a whisky cake or something.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2017 5:35 PM BST

AmazonBasics Dual-Port Swivel Cigarette Lighter Adaptor in Black
AmazonBasics Dual-Port Swivel Cigarette Lighter Adaptor in Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Could not get it in, 14 May 2016
Could not get it in, so had to return it. There is a plastic ring on it that is supposed to wedge the metal bits out to stop the adaptor from coming loose. However, even with this ring unscrewed I still could not insert the flipping thing in the car socket. Either this product is not fit for purpose or Vauxhall fits unusually small cigarette lighter sockets in their cars.

Richardson Sheffield 17.5 cm Cucina Santoku Knife, Silver
Richardson Sheffield 17.5 cm Cucina Santoku Knife, Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars worth a punt for this price, 14 May 2016
The knife was not as sharp as I expected but it was definitely a good buy. The blade has a nice curve to it that makes it perfect for chopping, but it is too wide to do anything else. This is my first Santoku knife and I think I still prefer the classic chef 's knife with a narrower and more pointy blade.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3