Profile for David Bisset > Reviews

Content by David Bisset

David Bisset

ZD-V+ Vibration-Feedback USB Wired Gamepad Controller Joystick Support PC(Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10) & PS3 & Android (PS architecture) - [Black]
Offered by William_G

5.0 out of 5 stars Controller used with Windows 7 PC, 10 Jun. 2016
Purchased this controller to play FFX when it came out on steam as keyboard controls were horrible. It was effortless to get working on windows 7 - I plugged it in, waited for the installing drivers box to go away, launched the game and that was it! I've been able to use it via a USB hub in my monitor which means it's got heaps of spare cable, though the cable would have been long enough anyway in my case.

The controller feels well made, better than the original PS2 controllers. Inputs seem quick and accurate so far. I'll try it with my windows 10 laptop (still installing the game, slow internet!) and if I have troubles I'll update the review to reflect this.

A4 Tech KL-5 Mini Slim Compact Keyboard - UK Layout
A4 Tech KL-5 Mini Slim Compact Keyboard - UK Layout
Offered by Buyers Hub

3.0 out of 5 stars Small, good key layout, but poor key action, 31 Jan. 2014
Just received this as a replacement for a similarly prices Targus Compact keyboard that had been returned due to a key layout issue. On opening the box the first impression was good - the keyboard has a standard key layout which is exactly what I was after and it takes up a minimal amount of space. It also doesn't have some normal keys doubling as the numpad like the Targus, which saves having to turn off numlock every time before I'm able to log in.

However, it also has a downside. The key action is unpleasant and the keys feel both cheap and a bit wobbly. I've no idea how well it will last given I've just got it but I've not got high hopes.

If I wanted a cheap compact keyboard for normal use I'd recommend getting the Targus instead. If, like me, you want a cheap compact keyboard for gaming then this fits the bill, having the ctrl key in the bottom left corner as you'd expect.

The only other option I found in the price-range was a logitech k300 that was a bit more expensive and a bit bigger - however I've not tried it so can't compare :(
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2016 5:05 PM BST

Dell UltraSharp U2414H 23.8 inch Widescreen IPS LCD Monitor (1920 x 1080, 2M:1, 250 cd/m2, 8 ms, HDMI/DP/mini DP/USB)
Offered by Buying2day ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning monitor with minor flaws, 27 Jan. 2014
Have just received this monitor in the last few days. First impressions are excellent, the monitor is beautiful, the bezels are tiny, the colours are fantastic.

Being IPS the viewing angles are fantastic but there is a slight glow.

On first setting it up I dropped brightness significantly as by default for me it was too bright, but the response is nice and linear and the colours didn't change so this was no problem. I'm using the factory-calibrated mode as it looks best to me, much better than other IPS panels I've used. Compared with a wide gamut screen I use it holds its own, excelling for a 6+2 bit screen. The screen doesn't use PWM to control the brightness so is fine for those who notice the effects of this. Black levels are good for an IPS monitor but not great - though no IPS panels are great. If you're looking for great contrast ratios then go for a VA panel.

It was easy to set up, the stand is nice looking and doesn't waste loads of desk space while being easy to adjust. Build quality is mostly great, however there is some backlight bleed in the bottom left corner. In normal use this isn't noticeable so I'll not be sending it back or anything, however in dark scenes this is visible and could annoy some people. The anti-glare coating is light and inoffensive, giving a cleaner looking picture than the coating on the Dell U2313HM that I also have. As I have not used it in a high glare environment I can't comment on how well it does but no reflections are visible in normal indoor use.

Connectivity is more of a mixed bag - it has DisplayPort (I'm using this) and HDMI which is fine for me but may cause trouble for some nVidia graphics card users as these cards will think it's a TV and send a restricted colour range. Fixable, but irritating. Had they included DVI as an option then this problem could have been sidestepped. No VGA may be a problem for old laptops but most have come with HDMI for quite some time now and VGA isn't as good as the digital options anyway.

Pixel responsiveness is very good for the end user, as the overdrive is done well, making it faster in real-world transitions than my old TN panel despite double the quoted response time. An excellent result. I have no way of measuring input lag easily so couldn't comment on this though several reviews suggest it is excellent in this regard also.

I'd highly recommend this monitor to anyone wanting good colours and viewing angles in an attractive package. Being pre-calibrated it's a good option for those needing accurate colour who don't have their own calibration devices, but if you already own a calibration device you could go for the cheaper P2414H instead (though most likely you'll not be looking in this market segment at all)
It is a decent option for gamers who don't want to go for the poor image of TN panels. For the money I know of no better option.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2015 11:40 AM GMT

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute keyboard but layout not for me, 25 Jan. 2014
This keyboard arrived today, and as advertised it's nice and small. It's not as pictured as it's a UK layout (so e.g. the backslash key is in between the left shift and the z key) and to hit such a small form factor the space key is quite small too. The key action is fine for a dome keyboard, and the build quality was better than I expected.

As with most compact keyboards it has the numlock key enabled by default which could be surprising as it turns some letters into numbers but this is fixable in Windows.

Unfortunately they've chosen to deviate from 'standard' UK layout by placing the Function (Fn) key in the bottom left, pushing the Ctrl key in one. This would be fine for normal use but as this keyboard was to primarily be a portable addon for my gaming laptop this makes it unusable as the Ctrl key is an important key and isn't easily reachable when using the standard gaming hand position. As a result I'm having to send it back so I'll not be able to update this with how long it lasts.