Profile for S. Green > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
My Fathers Place
My Fathers Place

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for fans, 18 Nov. 2013
This review is from: My Fathers Place (Audio CD)
Absolutely first class live performance. The sound quality is surprisingly good. Tom's performance is assured and sounds heart felt. The backing band are great, particularly Frank Vicari on top form on tenor sax, who alone has made me feel like digging out my old jazz albums. So you've heard all the songs before but if you're a die hard fan you'll welcome these renditions.

The only slight negative - the usual whooping and hollering US audience, but it goes with the territory for live albums recorded there, particularly of that period. It's not bad enough to detract from the overall quality.

Well worth five stars.

TeckNet Gaming Mouse High Precision Programmable LED Mouse with 8 Button, OMRON Switches, Macros, AVAGO Optical Sensor, Extra Weight
Offered by Hippidion.Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent gaming and all round mouse, 30 Oct. 2013
Had to find another mouse after a Gigabyte gamer started playing up after only a few months. Did my research read the reviews and chose this and glad I did. Easy to set up and to adjust sensitivity. Quite light to begin with so adding the extra weights is a useful option. Seller service was very good. Item was despatched quickly and well packed.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Is it my nose or has something changed?, 21 July 2013
I have been buying Nag Champa for a while now, it's my favourite incense. But my latest box just smells different. Less spicy and exotic, more flowery and soapy. I did read that the formula has been changed due to increased scarcity, and therefore price, of one of the key ingredients. It would be such a shame. Perhaps it is my nose!

Hi-Tec Men's Auckland WP Brown /Yellow 06534-JT7 8 UK
Hi-Tec Men's Auckland WP Brown /Yellow 06534-JT7 8 UK
Offered by glamour007

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible build quality - Avoid!, 8 Oct. 2012
It's rare for me to quote my ex mother-in-law as we didn't often see eye to eye. But she was fond of saying "you buy cheap you buy twice" and in the case of these shoes she would have been spot on. I bought a pair of these a little under three months ago. I had a new dog and wanted some dog walking shoes that would be comfortable, provide good grip and be waterproof but without breaking the bank. When these first arrived I was impressed with them and on trying them out they ticked all the relevant boxes for me.

However, after less than 13 weeks wear the stitching on the suede panels on the uppers on both shoes has broken. I can now poke my fingers through and feel my feet inside, and rain and puddles can get through too. On inspecting them I reckon I've got a couple more weeks at most before they've come apart to the point at which they become unwearable. Let me emphasise this after 13 weeks, not hill walking in the Peak District but dog walking in London - hardly an arduous test for something that purports to be a walking shoe.

If they were an unbranded pair that I'd bought for £10 off a street market I'd still be a bit cheesed off but it would be more excusable. But for an established British "known name" company to be marketing something of this outrageously poor quality is simply inexcusable.

If you're thinking of buying these then take my advice and don't. Instead do what I should have done in the first place, and will have to do now, and spend more and buy something good quality that will do the job it claims to do.

Through Low Light And Trees
Through Low Light And Trees

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 9 July 2012
Saw the reviews and really expected something special and "new". I was really looking forward to hearing it. I don't know, perhaps they're better live but I've listened to this several times now and all I get is a cross between Clannad and Enya (artists I personally can't stand - all "Celtic lite" whimsy) with a few southern USA guitar riffs thrown in. I'd been anticipating this so much that I was willing myself to like it. It proved to be a real disappointment

Americana
Americana

4.0 out of 5 stars Is he 'aving a larf?, 28 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Americana (Audio CD)
Well I had to buy it being a fan - and thousands of others will have done the same. What's it like you say? Well to me nothing more than a bunch of (ahem) performance enhanced outtakes from an NY and CH jam session of 30 odd years ago. Discarded by more sober and clear headed record company execs saying "you're not using our money to release that!". Still it's Neil Young, one of the few musicians from the old days still keeping it real, so I couldn't award less than four stars. As to how many times I'll get it down off the CD shelf, dust it off and play it - well that's another matter. Personally I've bought it, listened to it and will now file under "novelty" - probably only to be brought out for my own enhanced listening sessions when I feel like playing some of the more curious parts of my collection. As I say, if your a fan you'll buy it anyway if you haven't already. As the pro reviewers probably say - "one for the completists only"
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2012 6:29 PM GMT

Sings The Harold Arlen Song Book
Sings The Harold Arlen Song Book
Offered by Bee-Entertained

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely sublime, 7 May 2012
Having started with just a couple of "best of" selections from the songbooks by Ella Fitzgerald I have now managed to gather together the full set without breaking the bank by going for the the full Verve box set (much as I would have like to). They are all superb, scaling heights of musicality that modern singers/musicians could only dream of. The Arlen set is in my opinion the cream of the crop, and in such company that's high praise indeed. The lyrics, the music, the arrangements, and of course the vocal performance of Ella itself combine to produce a performance so sublime it almost beggar's belief. A copy should be sent to modern day "singers" such as Beyonce and her ilk, plus contestants on such programmes as "The Voice" for them to listen to and learn the distinction between shouting (albeit in tune) and singing, and how to interpret a song and perform it rather than just belting out "money notes" for the gratification of a cloth eared audience who equate volume with talent. This is the real deal, listen and be amazed at what the human voice can do

Nilfisk C110 3-5 X-Tra Pressure Washer with 1400 W Motor (Old Version)
Nilfisk C110 3-5 X-Tra Pressure Washer with 1400 W Motor (Old Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars First class piece of kit, 6 April 2012
Very pleased with this item. having moved into a new home with a reasonably large paved patio that hadn't been cleaned in years i wanted something to do a quick clean up before the hosepipe ban kicked in but couldn't afford an expensive model. was searching and stumbled on this. the combination of reasonable price and positive reviews convinced me and I'm glad it did. I don't know much about pressure washers never having used one before but this one has robust, solid construction written all over it. My opinion having now used it is that it's solid and built to last using quality materials. I doubt you'll find anything better for the price

AnySharp Knife Sharpener with PowerGrip, Blue
AnySharp Knife Sharpener with PowerGrip, Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh sweet mystery of life at last I've found you..., 21 Jan. 2012
For years I've struggled with a variety of sharpeners, requiring varying degrees of effort. Most of them make a satisfying grinding noise but produce little by way of a lasting sharp edge. I've even flailed around with a Sabatier steel, the use of which can make you look fairly professional, but which in the hands of an amateur such as me probably does more harm than good to the knife. Then I found this amazing little gadget and my culinary life changed for ever. It's well made, simple to use, and with just a few light strokes produces a keen sharp edge. I tried it out on an old cook's knife of mine that I had never managed to get sharp enough and which was starting to struggle with cutting a sandwich in half. Now it has an edge like a samurai sword! Now I shall have to work on my hit and miss chopping technique as it was probably only thanks to my blunt knives that I can still boast a full set of fingers.

We're Only in it for the Money
We're Only in it for the Money
Offered by trec002

5.0 out of 5 stars they couldn't do it now..., 8 Oct. 2011
had this album on vinyl 40 years ago and it "blew my mind", along with (ahem) other things. Left the turntable behind many years ago and like many other favourites never got it on CD - until now. This stuff is iconoclastic dynamite, full of vitriol against the commercialisation of rebellion, and the phoniness (is that a word?) of those jumping on to and buying in to the superficial trappings of a movement they never truly understood. Probably the best showcase for Zappa's warped genius. Plus it turned me on to the works of Kafka, and how many rock albums can do that! Let's make the water turn black!...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3