Profile for S. Green > Reviews

Content by S. Green

S. Green (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Philips LED Classic 5.5 W GU10 Glass Dimmable Spot Light (Replacement for 50 W Halogen Spot) - Warm White, Pack of 6

4.0 out of 5 stars Would have been five stars for light but only three for design, so split the difference, 13 Sept. 2017
Finally got around to replacing the six halogen bulbs in my kitchen ceiling light fitting with LEDs. However, anyone who has ever teetered on a chair or stepladder trying to fit or extract a GU10 bulb with the aid of a little plastic suction cap will know that it's a pain in the **** at the best of times. So it didn't fill me with joy when these arrived and I find that, unlike halogen bulbs, the surface of these is not completely flat but for some reason dips in the middle. This meant that my suction cap couldn't form a strong airtight seal and kept slipping when any pressure was applied to turn the bulb. Sadly after a couple of attempts it slipped off the bulb completely and my brand new (and not cheap) LED bulb fell on to the kitchen table and smashed.

I tried and tried again but couldn't even get one bulb secured in the fitting. Luckily I them turned to the good old web for advice and found someone recommended using a lump of Blu Tack instead of the suction cap. I softened up a good sized lump with my fingers, pressed it on the surface of the bulb until it was stuck then offered it up to the fitting and turned it and hey presto, worked like a charm. Peeled the Blu Tack off then repeated the method for the other bulbs and had all five fitted in a couple of minutes. Will never bother with a suction cap again to be honest!

The light they give out is fantastic and I'm looking forward to seeing the savings on my bill. Now I have to fork out money for a sixth bulb to replace the one broken.

Cable Mountain 1m High Quality Gold Plated 2x Phono to 2x Phono RCA Cable
Cable Mountain 1m High Quality Gold Plated 2x Phono to 2x Phono RCA Cable

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality cables at a reasonable price, 19 Feb. 2017
Bought these to run from a pre-amp to the AUX inputs on my mini CD system so I could play my turntable through it. I've bought this brand before so was pretty sure before buying that I could rely on the quality and I'm not disappointed. Good quality cables and a very reasonable price.

Behringer PP400 Microphono Ultra Compact Phono Preamp assorted colour
Behringer PP400 Microphono Ultra Compact Phono Preamp assorted colour

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bit of kit at a very reasonable price, 19 Feb. 2017
Have kept nearly all my vinyl from the last 40 odd years despite having (I thought) nothing to play it on for at least 15. Then just recently was surprised to unearth my old turntable that I bought in 1979! Only have a mini CD system without a phono option built in so needed a pre-amp to hook up between my turntable and the AUX input on my system. Saw the positive reviews for this and the price was very reasonable so went for it and glad I did. Works like a charm and now I'm reliving my youth trawling back through my old records.

Boneland (Weirdstone Trilogy 3)
Boneland (Weirdstone Trilogy 3)
by Alan Garner

2.0 out of 5 stars Concluding part of a trilogy? I don't think so..., 19 Jan. 2017
Read Weirdstone and Gomrath many. many years ago and loved them. Only just got round to reading this. To sell it as the concluding volume of a trilogy is in my opinion misleading. The links to the previous two books are tenuous at best, and border on non-existent. Given that, I really don't see how you can consider it part of a trilogy with the earlier works. That said, how does it fair as a standalone work? Not very well in my opinion. Much of the text, particularly in the "fantasy" segments, is dull and repetitive and quickly becomes tedious. And as for the "real life" segments, much of the dialogue is cringe-worthily bad, particularly Meg's. If you can't believe that real people would actually speak like that it makes it difficult to immerse yourself in the story. As you can probably tell I was very disappointed with the book. However, the number of positive reviews show that many other people loved it. The only way to find out is to read it for yourself I suppose. For me the best thing I can say about it is that it was mercifully short. In my opinion it's one for diehard Garner fans only.

19 Rupert Street
19 Rupert Street
Offered by jim-exselecky

4.0 out of 5 stars A piece of musical history, 3 Sept. 2016
This review is from: 19 Rupert Street (Audio CD)
I love this. Ok, the sound quality is not great, but let's face it if you know in advance, as I did, that it was taped in someone's front room then you shouldn't be expecting studio quality. It's a piece of musical history. Two musical friends playing some favourite tunes together and enjoying themselves. As such it is to be treasured despite its shortcomings. If you approach it in that frame of mind you won't be disappointed.

Green Tea Morning Star Stick Incense & Holder (50 pack)
Green Tea Morning Star Stick Incense & Holder (50 pack)
Offered by Vectis Karma

5.0 out of 5 stars Consistently high quality incense, 24 Aug. 2016
My favourite incense. A bit more expensive than most but well worth it for the quality of the scent in which the green tea aroma is mixed with a kind of fresh green spicy woodiness (if that makes sense!). The best compliment I can personally give them is that they pass my test for incense to not smell "soapy". Can't stand incense that smells like the kind of lurid pink soap (often shaped like a rose) you used to get in gift sets at Christmas or Mothers' Day.

The sticks are tiny, only 12cm long, but they're solid incense rather than joss sticks (i.e. they have no wood in the middle) so they burn away completely. The quality is also consistent and reliable, every box being the same as the one before, unlike some other incense I've bought where the scent sometimes varies despite it being ostensibly the same product previously bought.

The little ceramic tile holder you get in each box is a bonus and is actually one of the best ways of burning them

Sekonda Gents Brown Dial Date Strap WR Watch 3882
Sekonda Gents Brown Dial Date Strap WR Watch 3882

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very nice watch at a very good price, 24 Aug. 2016
Beautiful watch. Surprisingly high quality for the price. I was a little worried about the size before buying in case it was one of those huge ones that seem to have been in fashion recently. Needn't have worried. It's bigger than you might expect the "standard" watch to be but not ridiculously big. The face is nice and clear and easy to read (apart from the date that is. As other reviewers have noted you'd need bionic zoom vision to read that). The brown colour really sets the display off well and matches with the high quality leather strap. I noticed the luminosity of the hands is pretty good in the dark, although that's something I'm unlikely to need myself.

Arrived very quickly, much quicker than expected, and already set to the right time.

All in all I'm extremely pleased with it and would recommend it.

lullaby and... The Ceaseless Roar
lullaby and... The Ceaseless Roar

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album from an artist not content to just rely on his past, 20 Aug. 2016
Rather belated review this as I bought it quite some time ago but I've recently been listening to it a lot again and it's prompted me to write. That said not a lot to add to what many others have already written other than to agree it's a fantastic album. Serves to reinforce why Plant has resisted persistent efforts from Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones to go back on the road as Led Zep. Much as I would love to see them myself he knows all to well they'd just be regurgitating the same old stuff (good as that is, don't get me wrong). He wants to keep moving forward and good on him, I for one am glad he does if this is the quality he produces.

Looking forward to his next release.

Gator GKC-1648 Stretchy Keyboard Cover For 88-Note Keyboards
Gator GKC-1648 Stretchy Keyboard Cover For 88-Note Keyboards

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cover for full size keyboard., 6 April 2016
Excellent cover. Fits my old Yamaha P-150 perfectly and keeps the dust off. Quick and easy to put on and take off. Very pleased with purchase.

Slat type Door Curtain,Bug Blind,Fly Blind,Strip Blind-TRADITIONAL MULTI COLOUR
Slat type Door Curtain,Bug Blind,Fly Blind,Strip Blind-TRADITIONAL MULTI COLOUR
Offered by Holland Plastics (UK) Limited

3.0 out of 5 stars Thin and flimsy not great on external door, 24 April 2015
I'd had one of these for a couple of years up at my back door to keep flies out, particularly when the door is left open in the summer. It had done the job well but it needed replacing as a few of the strips had been pulled out by the dog in his excitement to get out. Or at least I thought it was one of these as I'd also bought the previous one from Holland Plastics. However, when this one arrived it was soon obvious I must have bought a heavy duty one before because the quality of this one was so inferior.

Whereas my old one had nice thick plastic strips those on the new one are really thin and flimsy. Imagine really thin lightweight ribbon like you might use for decorating Christmas presents and that will give you some idea. This might not matter on an internal doorway but on an external one where the door itself is left open the slightest breeze blows them up in the air, leaving lots of wide open space for the flies to get in! Unfortunately I had to open it and unwind it to find this out, so no chance of returning it.

If you plan to use one of these on an external doorway where it will catch the breeze you might want to consider investing in the heavy duty one from Holland Plastics instead. My old one was really good and I think I shall have to buy another to replace this
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2017 6:53 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4