Profile for Hugh > Reviews

Hugh

Face The Promise
Face The Promise
Offered by Fulfillment Express

3.0 out of 5 stars I didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped because it ..., 13 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Face The Promise (Audio CD)
I was looking forward to listening to this, not having heard a 'new' Bob Seger album for many years. I didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped because it is predominantly heavyish, rock tracks- a bit bassy, shouty and samey. I know Bob Seger has this side, and I'm sure many fans love it, but my preference is for his soulful, slower tracks with melody and heartfelt vocals. There were only a couple on 'Face the Promise' that worked for me and I wouldn't have bought it if I had known how few of these tracks there are.

Tell the Wolves I'm Home
Tell the Wolves I'm Home

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and moving, 29 April 2014
An engaging story of a young girl's 'growing up' following the death of her beloved uncle from HIV/AIDS. The author captures the ambivalent nature of adolescence- with desperate love in one moment followed by a disdainful 'whatever'.. The descriptions of place and mood are very good and I can recommend this as a good read, with many thought-provoking scenes.

The Garden of Evening Mists
The Garden of Evening Mists

5.0 out of 5 stars So much to think about; better on second and third reading, 27 Aug. 2013
I read this straight after finishing "The Gift of Rain". This has a similar story-line-- post-war Malaya and relationships between the Japanese and individuals that were interned/tortured during the occupation.
I wasn't quite so gripped with the start of this novel; I didn't find the characterisation clear and it felt unfocused. However, stick with it. The story unfolds and there are many twists and connections, which make more sense if you start reading again from the beginning as soon as you have got to the end!
I am still re-reading and pondering themes of memory and loss, guilt, survival, and addiction to pain in particular; I don't want to give any of the story away, but I can recommend it.

Silvine Book Keeping Notebook Analysis 32 Pages 7 Column A4 Ref SJA4A (SJA4A)
Silvine Book Keeping Notebook Analysis 32 Pages 7 Column A4 Ref SJA4A (SJA4A)
Offered by Megabrokers

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and price, 27 Aug. 2013
The notebooks came in 48 hours and were well-packaged and in good condition. The Silvine brand is a reliable one with quality pages and covers. Better price than I could find them in a stationer. A satisfied customer!

Anne of Green Gables Stories: 12 Books, 142 Short Stories, Anne of Green Gables, Anne of Avonlea, Anne of the Island, Anne's House of Dreams, Rainbow Valley, Rilla of Ingleside, Chronicles and More

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 10 May 2013
I can vaguely remember Anne of Green Gables from a TV show when I was a young child. The books are great, beautifully written in evocative language, with a sense of humour. In the first book, Anne arrives as a young, unwanted child at Green Gables; her exploits and friendships are described in language so flowery (in a good way) that I laughed out loud. The countryside is depicted expressively and the way of life at the time is described delightfully ( there is little gritty realism; although poverty and hardship are hinted at- it is more about blossoming flowers, babbling brooks, good morals and kindness, but that's what is so charming about it).
I am reading the second book, which I look forward to opening each evening; Anne is now a school teacher (although only 17) and has further adventures and relationships with Avonlea characters.
Highly recommended!!

The Sign of the Four (Sherlock Holmes Book 2)
The Sign of the Four (Sherlock Holmes Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great discovery!, 26 Mar. 2013
I had not read any Sherlock Holmes stories before, but they are a revelation. I've since downloaded the Complete Short Story Collection which is also recommended.
Elegantly written, with wonderful depictions of setting and character and plenty of humour.
Read and enjoy...preferably in a Holmesian armchair pulled up to the fireside (with a large cigar and small brandy optional!

The Tapestry of Spirit
The Tapestry of Spirit

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and fairly thought-provoking, 6 Feb. 2013
This kept me interested until the end although the storyline and concepts are not very original- young boy, adrift in the world when his mother dies, sets out on journey to find the 'meaning of life'/himself, and is accompanied by a wise old man. He meets a girl who is also on the journey, they stare deep in each other's eyes, part company and the book ends with the boy (who has now found himself and the meaning of life after several adventures and coincidences) setting off after her. The idea of a 'tapestry of spirit', with all things, people and events connected with webs of thread, etc. and how one good deed leads to good fortune and the opportunity to do other good deeds is a very pleasant and optimistic philosophy of life. Recommended!

THE ROAD FROM MOROCCO
THE ROAD FROM MOROCCO

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts well, but a bit long winded, 6 Feb. 2013
As a free ebook, this was worth reading but I wouldn't purchase it or re-read it. It is an in-depth life story of the author, which gets rather repetitive after a while. There isn't much analysis or sections that made me think or feel any emotion for the writer, and I found the second half which is mainly set in the U.S rather boring. I was hoping to learn about customs, history and the landscape (perhaps I was over-influenced by the cover picture) of Morocco. Instead there was lots of narrative about her wealthy relatives who seemed to fund all the travel and study,her work, jobs, her relationahip with her mother and her mother's illnesses, unhappy marriage, etc. I started skipping passages towards the end, which is never a good indication of an enthralling book.

Shadowmagic
Shadowmagic

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, 6 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Shadowmagic (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book and went on to purchase the follow-up to find out what happened next: I didn't want to leave the adventures in The Land! Shadowmagic is easy to read with a very likeable hero- a good mixture of teenage worries and comic one-liners. I really liked the natural landscape, the trees that can communicate, etc. and the references to older myths and Ancient Gaelic.
Highly recommended.