Profile for Jimbob > Reviews

Turning Forty
Turning Forty
by Mike Gayle

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, 12 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Turning Forty (Hardcover)
What a load of utter drivel - Mike Gayle has lost his magic. Avoid it if you're expecting a good read, like most of his previous books.

From the Lowlands
From the Lowlands

5.0 out of 5 stars Another classic Tom album, 25 April 2013
This review is from: From the Lowlands (MP3 Download)
Tom McRae has released five studio albums over the course of 25 years. McRae's sixth studio album, From The Lowlands is a truly beautiful and compelling listen from start to finish. He seems to have poured all of the heartache, love and loss of a life changing broken relationship into these songs.

The general themes here are the sea, sailing, messages in bottles, whales, hurricanes and (as the name suggests) lowlands. Lately's All I Know and Nothing On The Dry Land open the album and set the tone perfectly. "Life goes on it's true, lately I miss you and lately's all I know" he sings in the ruminative acoustic and lap steel guitar first track. The backing vocals on the sombre Nothing On The Dry Land are provided by locals from his village. It's unique and very effective as they end the song with the repeated "my love, my love, my love".

All That's Gone is written as a brutally honest letter describing how good things used to be and what is now just "bits and pieces of a life". He writes of the past where "somewhere in our history the future's shining bright". This is moody, dark stuff, for sure. But sometimes, late at night, that's justwhat we need.

There are lighter moments to be found too in the form of F*** You Prometheus and a cover version of Sloop John B. The inclusion of Sloop John B seems to fit perfectly here (we are taken out to sea again). Prometheus was recorded outdoors and begins with a conversation between Tom and the hugely talented musician Brian Wright (Brian has recorded three albums of his own) and the sound of the wind and birds is clearly audible both in the introduction and throughout the song.

In the epic final song, The Alphabet of Hurricanes, we join the singer as he travels across America. It's a journey to grieve for the loss of the relationship that fills this album and on this journey he accepts that he "can't seem to change the way this story wants to play" and, therefore, it's time "to fall into the icy streams of different lives and different dreams". In the choruses the repeated refrain of "I go lightly on my way and you will go lightly on the same, yes you go lightly on your way" is heartbreaking yet, somehow, a release (albeit an obviously reluctant one).

McRae now lives and records in a farm in Suffolk. Hopefully, it's a place from where he can continue to send us his music - all the way from the lowlands

Life In Easy Steps
Life In Easy Steps

5.0 out of 5 stars Liverpool's Ryan Adans, 29 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Life In Easy Steps (Audio CD)
Wouldn't our journey through this mortal coil be much easier with a guide book to help us along our way? This is the question posed by Robert Vincent, a singer-songwriter from Liverpool, on his new album `Life In Easy Steps'. His blend of alt-country and rock has been compared to Van Morrison and Bruce Springsteen. His music sounds like Ryan Adams might sound if he'd have been born in Merseyside. These, however, are mere comparisons. In fact Vincent has his own striking individual sound and a style that is all his own.

Rob has been making music for several years. His previous band, Night Parade, were on the cusp of releasing their debut album but were prevented from doing so by Management issues. So, at the start of 2011 he decided to go it alone, write more songs and record his solo album with Grammy award winning co-producer Pete Smith, in Brighton.

The album contains a wide variety of musical styles. Thematically, it's about facing life's struggles and demons and coming out the other side stronger than you went in. It's also about celebrating life and making the most of the short time we have whilst being the best that you can be. On `The Passage' he sings "Don't you leave with nothing. Don't you wanna' have a memory or two? A clue to say that you were here".

'Light Of The Stars' opens the album in ethereal fashion with lightly strummed acoustic guitars and piano. It's a song written about the death of a close friend and how "in their dear constant ritual, the stars flicker the way".

`Riot's Cry' begins with electric guitars jumping out of the speakers and you know you're listening to something special. "You don't know the pain I've faced" he tells us - and we believe it.

The title track is a fast paced country rockabilly number that you can't help but tap your feet and sing along with. This sits along with slower paced numbers such as `My Pill' and `Who Are You To Say' with ease. The album is sequenced wonderfully.

Epic piano and strings led album closer 'Second Chance' brings a refreshing change to the usual boy meets girl, girl leaves boy, boy wants girl back ballad. It tells the story the end of a dysfunctional and damaging relationship. Rob sings 'you can say foul words that are spat with spite, you can try and break me but that's alright, 'cos I know the truth'. You can hear the struggle that he's endured but you are left feeling that he has become a stronger person for not giving this relationship gone bad a second chance.

Robert has said in previous interviews that music is his life "I know what I'm here for - to do this". If he continues to make music as good and as life affirming as this, then he has every chance of achieving his dreams.

The Bomb EP
The Bomb EP

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential listening, 30 July 2012
This review is from: The Bomb EP (MP3 Download)
For any fan of the singer/songwriter genre this is ESSENTIAL listening.

Buy it now, you won't regret it!

You can hear some of Rob's songs on You Tube too.

My Pill EP
My Pill EP

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome EP, 30 July 2012
This review is from: My Pill EP (MP3 Download)
For any fan of the singer/songwriter genre this is ESSENTIAL listening.

Check out Rob's videos on You Tube too.

Buy it now, you won't regret it!

All Maps Welcome
All Maps Welcome
Offered by Books-and-Sounds

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom is a legend!, 23 Sept. 2011
This review is from: All Maps Welcome (Audio CD)
Sublime, buy it now. Your life will be better with this record in it! All of Tom's albums are great.

Alphabet Of Hurricanes
Alphabet Of Hurricanes
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars McGreatness, 9 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Alphabet Of Hurricanes (Audio CD)

Call of Duty: Black Ops (PS3)
Call of Duty: Black Ops (PS3)
Offered by Revolution Media

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS!, 2 Dec. 2010
DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!

Unless you want to buy a new PS3.

Whenever you play it online it freezes and you have to reboot your machine. In the end your PS3 will break.

Dont believe me? Just search the internet and see how many others agree with me.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 10, 2010 6:26 PM GMT

The Catcher in the Rye
The Catcher in the Rye
by J. D. Salinger

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless Drivel, 27 July 2010
This review is from: The Catcher in the Rye (Paperback)
What a waste of paper!
I wanted to give 0 stars but the minimum was 1.

Sigh No More (Limited Edition Digipack)
Sigh No More (Limited Edition Digipack)
Offered by positivenoise

5.0 out of 5 stars Has to be the best cd of 2009, 7 Oct. 2009
Just buy it! Simple as that.

I took a chance with this after reading a couple of reviews on here and hearing the single. I played the first song and had to sit down. It blew me away.

Whilst I guess the lyrical content is largely about love and loss the album is not maudlin at all. It is actually very uplifting in places.

Anyways, 5 stars. Got to be the best cd I've bought this year.

Awesome