Profile for James M. George > Reviews

Content by James M. George

James M. George "Paperhouse" (South Wales)

Palladium Mens Pampa Sport Cuff WP2 High-Top 03087-057-M Black/Dark Gum 8 UK, 41 EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, comfort and style!, 28 Mar. 2016
I spotted this brand whilst away in Amsterdam a few years back and thought they looked great. The design, the brand identity, it's a very clear aesthetic. Unfortunately I was on a tight budget that holiday and had to look at them wistfully through the shop window, but I made a note on my phone of the name Palladium.

Fast-forward to a few months ago and I was looking for some boots for work, something smart but waterproof. Now I've bought many boots over the years and where I usually struggle is the wearing-them-in stage. Days, sometimes weeks of sore heels or little toes. It might have been because I was used to compromising a little and opting for cheaper the choice out of my shortlist. This time though, I though no, I'm not compromising. They're a bit more than I would normally pay but they look SO gorgeous and sleek, if they don't feel right Amazon have a great returns policy. And man was I glad I bought them!

Hands down THE most comfortable boots I've ever owned. Zero wearing-them-in stage, straight to pillowy comfort.

And they look even better on than they do off.

The product oozes quality, from the manufacturing, to the materials, to the packaging. I can't stress enough how much of a revelation this brand is for me. I have previously been a Skechers boot buyer and they are renowned for comfort, but never again. These are miles better and the quality and durability is in another league.

I've also fully tested the waterproofing in work and can safely say they are watertight. I must also add that they're so comfortable that I don't just wear them for work...I have to stop myself wearing them constantly!

Don't hesitate, just get them!

Am-Tech Heavy Duty Dual Suction Cup
Am-Tech Heavy Duty Dual Suction Cup

5.0 out of 5 stars A great product, strong and sturdy., 28 Mar. 2016
I recently bought the Am-Tech Duty Dual Suction Cup to remove the glass from a 27'' iMac that I was refurbishing as a pet project. The product was packaged pretty basically, but being as robust as it is, it really didn't need anything extra inside. And robust it is! It feels sturdy and the suction really is industrial strength.

I had the screen off in a jiffy. I would highly recommend this to anyone needing to do carefully remove glass from such things as small windows, laptops and monitors. It really does give you confidence that the glass will stay put throughout removal.

A great product.

Denon AH-D510R Mobile Elite Over-Ear Headphones with 3 Button Remote and Mic
Denon AH-D510R Mobile Elite Over-Ear Headphones with 3 Button Remote and Mic
Offered by eHome

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleasantly surprised!!, 14 Mar. 2015
Obviously sound, like other senses, is in many ways subjective so these reviews shouldn't be taken as gospel, but I personally really got on with the audio quality of the Denon AH-D510R. I'm a massive audiophile myself but wanted some commuting headphones for morning walks to work, so even though I do only use these to listen to music from my phone, I listen to my songs in a lossless format rather than MP3s, which are in my opinion a horribly poor quality albeit conveniently small-sized format. I think maybe that's the problem with the Denon AH-D510R - they are aimed at iPhone and smart phone users, who on the huge majority will be listening to MP3 or AAC format songs with the average 256kbps bitrate, and therefore these people wont really hear the full potential of the hardware. I listen to ALAC and FLAC format music, and the audio quality on these headphones is excellent, especially for the price I paid. The lows don't have too much attack and therefore are not overpowering, the mids are open and precise and not muddy, and the highs are clear but not too bright. I have been using them without the aid of any EQs on my phone.

The build quality, yes, suffers from a little too much plastic overall, but they don't feel flimsy. They could do with a little more metal embellishment, and perhaps the Denon brand name would have more impact if it were embossed on the ear pieces rather than simply printed on, but all superficial criticism aside I was won over pretty quickly by the sound. I have owned many other over-ear headphones over the years, from Sony monitors to Sennheisers to bog standard JVC and Phillips entry-level pairs...but had never tried a Denon pair. I have a Denon turntable and thought I'd give them a risk on the merits of that. I've read some reviews on here that mentioned listeners of very bassy hip-hop and electronic music might not get on with the bass on these, and I do think that is a matter of personal taste. I have listened to some pretty bassy tracks without feeling I was missing any punch. The volume output is high, the quality is great, and yesterday I tried the hands-free mic on a phone call, and my girlfriend didn't even realise I was talking via anything other than my phone. She commented it sounded perfectly clear.

If you're an audiophile and have decent quality tracks on your phone, say in a lossless music format, these are worth a lot more than their selling price in my opinion and you might find yourself as pleased as I was. If you listen mainly to MP3s and don't really know what sort of quality bitrate those tracks are, you might not fully appreciate these.

Different strokes for different folks as they say!

Macbeth Mens Matthew Vegan Synthetic Suede Low-Top MMF10016.050.08 Dark Grey/Cobalt 7 UK, 41 EU, 8 US

4.0 out of 5 stars Great shoes!, 12 Sept. 2014
After a day or two of wearing in, these now fit like slippers. They look awesome too. Very pleased!

Macbeth Mens London Switchfoot Studio Project Low-Top
Macbeth Mens London Switchfoot Studio Project Low-Top

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, hugely disappointed..., 12 Sept. 2014
I bought my first pair of Macbeth's recently, the Matthew Vegan style, and thought they were great. Took a day or two to wear in, but not they fit like gloves. I decided to buy these London Switchfoot Studio Project Low-Tops on the back of my first successful venture into the brand. Couldn't have been more different. The manufacturing quality is appalling, stitching is raised on the inside creating a LOT of discomfort when walking. There is also a lot of excess glue from the factory seeping out of the edges around areas where fabric attaches to fabric.

They look great from a distance, but up close they look cheap and low-quality. I bought them on Amazon a couple of months ago and kept them for a while before wearing them, so now I don't feel I can return them. If you want a comfy pair, avoid these and try a different style on in a store if possible to be on the safe side, because as I say, my Macbeth Matthew's were great!

Deep Cuts
Deep Cuts

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC., 29 July 2009
This review is from: Deep Cuts (Audio CD)
Let's start with INCREDIBLE...

I've just been reading through some of this albums reviews on here, and as far as I can gather, the majority of people seem hung up on comparing to the acoustic cover of 'Heartbeats' Jose Gonzalez released in 2005. Impossible. Both are great versions of the same song, but I feel it is wholly wrong to consider approaching The Knife with anything but an open mind. Essentially, they may as well be different songs because they take such completely different approaches to the melody.

As a big fan of all three Knife albums, and this years 'Fever Ray' (the solo release by Karin Dreijer Andersson), I must stress that The Knife are EXPERIMENTAL-electronic at it's most original! Listen to it with a mind free of all expectations, and you will pick up on the subtle quirks that give this band it's unique personality. I also highly recommend their eponymous debut album, and Silent Shout. There's a gradual shift in tone as the band ages, where the sound becomes darker and more dreamlike, and again this is notable in the 'Fever Ray' album.

If you have an open mind, you may very well fall in love with this band as I have. If you are expecting plain straight-forward mainstream pop, you are listening to the wrong band.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2014 5:44 PM GMT

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Trilogy of Four: A Trilogy in Four Parts
by Douglas Adams

5.0 out of 5 stars The Trilogy Of Four..., 15 Jun. 2008
When I first heard of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, I was under the impression that it was a vastly inaccessible universe that only true Sci-Fi loving readers could cling to. I was, however, 12 years old and the source of introduction was a friend who had only heard the radio show.
Years had gone by, and I found myself looking for a book to read, to see me through a 12 hour flight (not being a lover of Transatlantic In-Flight programming, I needed something to hold my interest). And there it was - The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy: Trilogy Of Four. What better way to begin my journey into the fantastical world of Douglas Adams masterpiece, than by reading the first 4 HG2G novels in one, giant omnibus.
When it comes to reading, I'm one of those people who knows if they're going to be able to finish a book within the first few chapters, and boy did I know...
I spent the first week of my holiday in Florida, drawn into this hilariously, mind-bending odyssey and soon enough I was nearing the end of the 4th novel, "So Long