Profile for C. Moorcroft > Reviews

Content by C. Moorcroft

C. Moorcroft (Sheffield, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Night Castle
Night Castle

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing to go mad about, 29 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Night Castle (MP3 Download)
I generally like my music grandiose. Like others here, I've read so much about them, so I bought this album to satisfy curiosity.
What a disappointment!

A mixture of unimagintive treatments of obvious popular classical standards such as O Fortuna and Hall Of The Mountain King, and songs that sound like Jim Steinman cast-offs.

Perhaps it works when you see TSO live with the spectacle distracting you from the weakness of the music.
Certainly this is nothing to go mad about.

JSG Accessories® Universal Bluetooth Headset with car charger and charging box
JSG Accessories® Universal Bluetooth Headset with car charger and charging box
Offered by JSG Accessories

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 19 July 2012
I bought this as a replacement for a similar type of Bluetooth earpiece.
I did hope that a bigger ear hook would fit better, but unfortunately it was too loose.
The headset also has to be closed into its charging box to charge it, instead of just plugging the cable cable directly into the headset - so that means you need to remove the ear hook to charge the headset.
The actual sound quality is clear, and it connects well enough with my phone. And at the price, it's a reasonable buy.
Overall it's a disappointing buy. So much that I'm going to keep this as a spare and go back to using my old one as first choice because it fits better for wearing all day.

Outrage [DVD]
Outrage [DVD]
Dvd ~ Takeshi Kitano

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK but he's made better, 8 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Outrage [DVD] (DVD)
I am a long-term Kitano fan of all his various films from his acting only appearances such as "Merry Xmas Mr Lawrence" and "Gohatto" to his many films as actor / director such as "Zatoichi" and his numerous gangster films.
As far as his gangster films go, this one is pretty routine. It has a couple of moments that were stylish, but otherwise this is very predictable and ordinary. Not one I'll be watching again in a hurry.

More Never Is Enough
More Never Is Enough

3.0 out of 5 stars Completists and souvenir hunters only, 27 Oct. 2011
This review is from: More Never Is Enough (Audio CD)
Yes, you must ask the question: why do we need two live albums from the one tour? Well, it's here now, so look on this as an official bootleg.

I suppose the Tilburg show was filmed as a backup to the London show that is the original Whirld Tour live set. The DVDs are only in stereo, not 5.1, but still sound good. You do get the extra encore played in Tilburg, "Return of the Giant Hogweed" - but the London live set already includes the High Voltage Festival performance of that song with guest Steve Hackett.

The CDs are supposed to be the complete Manchester show, but for technical reasons this is not strictly true. A CD is limited to 80 minutes, and that night "The Whirlwind" was over 82 minutes (yes, I was there, I did time it, so what?) so two minutes had to be sacrificed - namely the singalong of the Family Guy theme song that happened during "On The Prowl". However, "Stranger In Your Soul" is complete, so you get all of the extras, namely "Manchester, England", the bass pedal solo and "Smoke On The Water".

So, not a bad live album - if the London set did not exist. If you were at Tilburg or Manchester in May 2010, you will may well want this set as well.

Walk the Lines: The London Underground, Overground
Walk the Lines: The London Underground, Overground
by Mark Mason

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best eccentric travel books, 1 Aug. 2011
Many off-beat travel books that take the writer on unusual quests (all round the Monopoly board; to areas of the shipping forecast; cycling a complete Tour de France route etc) can be irritating - the writer finds himself in a difficult situation because of a lack of thought and planning and expects the reader to find this amusing. Fortunately, this is not one of those books.

It starts from a very simple premise: why not walk every tube line? Yet somehow it works very well.
I am not a Londoner but I do visit frequently, so a lot of the ground covered is very familiar to me, but there was much that I didn't know, and it made me think about areas that I was already familiar with.

This was such an enjoyable read that I couldn't put it down. One of the best travel books I've read in recent years.

Dynamic Headset Microphone with Elastic Headband and 3.5m Lead
Dynamic Headset Microphone with Elastic Headband and 3.5m Lead
Offered by Motionperformance - Waxacar

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value if all you want is a microphone., 24 Jun. 2011
This is simply a mono microphone on a headband with a lead 12 feet long and 3.5mm & 6.3mm plugs.
If you need a headset with at least one earphone as well, look elsewhere.

The manufacturer sells under the name The Singing Machine, so obviously its main market is karaoke accessories, but it will work nicely for presentations where you need a microphone and a reasonable amount of slack in the cord to work with.
If you are looking for an alternative to a handheld or tieclip microphone, this will do nicely.

I know others have given this a lower rating in their reviews, but that was useful as it confirmed that this would suit my needs.

Othello [DVD] [1990]
Othello [DVD] [1990]
Dvd ~ Ian McKellen
Offered by adfilms

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performances all round, wonderful atmosphere, 12 April 2011
This review is from: Othello [DVD] [1990] (DVD)
I was fortunate to see this production in the flesh in the old Other Place theatre in Stratford. This television version is a true representation of that staging. Yes the staging is minimal as it had to be for a small venue, but the atmosphere is all there, and all the performances are top class.

Giacomo Puccini - Tosca [DVD] [2007] [2008]
Giacomo Puccini - Tosca [DVD] [2007] [2008]
Dvd ~ Puccini

5.0 out of 5 stars As unconventional productions go, this is one of the best, 28 Feb. 2011
If you've seen the James Bond film Quantum of Solace, and wondered about the Austrian interlude, well, this is the opera production he visited. (For me that was the highlight of a weak Bond film but that's a different story.)

We're all familiar with the music, and its performed well enough. It's all down to the concept. As is apparent from the cover, it's about eyes - the obvious references in Act I to Tosca's eyes, and the colour of the eyes of the Madonna being painted by Cavaradossi, plus the idea of Scarpia's secret police being everywhere.

The central eye does feature in the staging throughout. I don't want to say too much to spoil the surprise for anyone seeing it for the first time, but it does open and change angle for different uses. Suffice to say, the whole height of the stage is put to good use.

The production is not tied to the normal period of Tosca: dress has been modernised. Many would disagree with the mass execution by the secret police at the end of the Te Deum. Arguably Tosca's demise is an anti-climax following what's gone on before but it is restricted by where she is at the time relative to the stage.

I suppose my review is from a certain perspective, that of an event souvenir. I was fortunate enough to see this production live and was suitably amazed. I still have pictures from this staging as the wallpaper on my computer and my phone.

For someone looking for a conventional Tosca, I would choose the Domingo / Malfitano "Time and Place" version. For something that shows what can be done outdoors when it is done well, try this.

Whirld Tour 2010
Whirld Tour 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain of the year, 14 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Whirld Tour 2010 (Audio CD)
Like most live albums and videos, this won't win any new fans. For those who do follow Transatlantic, this package is the bargain of the year - and we didn't have to wait the best part of two years for it this time (unlike the Live in Europe set).
Picture and sound quality are both excellent, and there is plenty of it.

I was actually at the last show in Manchester (the night after this was recorded), but we have our moments of glory (and last night silliness) in the excellent accompanying documentary.

For someone who saw any show on the tour this is a great souvenir. For anyone who had to miss out, this is a fine record of five musicians at the height of their powers with an enthusiastic crowd.

Ommadawn
Ommadawn
Offered by DVDMAX-UK

2.0 out of 5 stars A major disappointment, 24 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Ommadawn (Audio CD)
I have always loved this record, especially the final section of part one, and I was really looking forward to the 5.1 mix. What a major disappointment. Everything I loved about the original and hoped would be even better has disappeared so far down the mix as to be inaudible. The only section that sounds better is On Horseback! The stereo remix has the same problems. I'm going back to the vinyl.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2010 1:44 PM BST