Profile for SPARTACUS > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The RCA Active Years 1981-1982
The RCA Active Years 1981-1982

2.0 out of 5 stars Old, but not classics...., 18 Jan. 2017
Sorry folks, I’m afraid I will have to rock the spaceship here. Back in the day I had just got on board after hearing Levitation. This was the album that really got me into Hawkwind and these three albums were a let down after that. I tried so hard to like them but I felt the magic of Levitation had been lost. These were albums I rushed out to buy at Listen Records in Glasgow in the early eighties. At that time a lot of people loved Hawkwind. For me these LPs were a signpost to when many fans jumped ship. By the time Hawkwind performed their Earth Ritual tour in 84 with Nik Turner, there was a lot of verbal abuse being hurled from the stalls at the band at The Apollo. After hearing many concert bootlegs at that time it appears this was a regular thing across the country.

Sonic Attack:
There are highs. Virgin of the world, Living on a Knife Edge and Lost Chances. However to constantly hear Angels of Death, Sonic Attack and Coded Languages at almost every concert for many years after that was really tedious. The drum machine is a real problem for me.
Church of Hawkwind: I guess it’s like Marmite.....
Choose Your Masques: Recorded really flat and there’s that drum machine again (or sounds like it). The only real high is Arrival in Utopia but still sounding flat. This track really came to life live in concert however Dreamworker got you thinking if there was a bar (or a toilet) in the venue.

At the end of the day this is all subjective and my opinion. Not everyone will agree. I suppose Hawkwind is a bit like James Bond. We all have our favourite era but I think we have to be clear that because an album is old it does not mean it’s a classic. Finally, these albums have been released in recent years with bonus tracks and excellent packaging. Not sure this release is essential.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2017 5:47 PM GMT

Star Wars Art: Ralph Mcquarrie
Star Wars Art: Ralph Mcquarrie
by Brandon Alinger

5.0 out of 5 stars First class product!!, 14 Oct. 2016
This book is fantastic!! For me it’s the best Art Of book I own. I have been collecting this type of book for years now and this has to be the King. I was 10 years old when I saw the first Ralph McQuarrie painting in Readers Digest (my mums) in 1977. This was way before the movie was released here in the UK. I guess I was a fan from that point onwards...

I don’t want to repeat in detail what has been said before about quality of the product as everyone is pretty much spot on. It’s first class. However I could like to say a bit about layout and content.

First of all I had no idea that there was so much art and illustration by the artist. I lot of this I have not seen before. There is a common sense approach to the layout of work here. Each final production painting is accompanied by the loose sketches, thumbnails and colour marker renderings that led to the final painting. I think we can safely call this the design process and it is done in a way that makes us appreciate the thought process that went into building the Star Wars universe. It’s not just a layout choice by the book designer, it is as close as we can get to the order of how the artist most likely organised his workflow.
I gave the The Art of The Force Awakens a pretty negative review. Myself and one other at the time of writing this. We are clearly in the minority, however I feel that this book was laid out in a mess with a large proportion of final art that does not show this process. Indeed there are sketches but the majority of the work feels polished and complete. No arguments on the final work, It looks great but I feel Art Of books have lost their edge a bit over the years. I also appreciate that this is one book about one artist who has a lot of content but that design process seemed to be covered to an extent in earlier Star Wars books. The Art of The Phantom Menace is a fantastic book. Pity about the movie ;-)

Ok, rant over!

So, If you are a big Star Wars fan and an artist then I strongly urge that you get a hold of this. I can’t imagine that there was a big print run so go get it. Many moons ago I had a chance of getting Kronoteko, by Syd Mead. I never took that chance and have always regretted it. A quality set of books on a limited run that can fetch around £600 now. We may be looking at a similar product here. Yes, it’s pricey and others got theirs for £80 odd quid but don’t let that put you off. I think it’s worth the full price.

This is a truly inspiring collection of work that should not be overlooked.

Enjoy :-)

LEGO Technic Crawler Crane
LEGO Technic Crawler Crane
Offered by VITS

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Technic sets out there, 14 Aug. 2016
This review is from: LEGO Technic Crawler Crane (Toy)
I’ve had my eye on this for a while but it took a few drinks on Friday night to finally hit BUY. Woke up the next morning and thought "I really don’t need this, what have I done?". Anyway it arrived today (Sunday) and it is now built. No regrets. Loved every minute of it and I even raided the TV remote controls in the house for batteries much to the annoyance of my family who have been watching one of the most successful days for Team GB in the Olympics.
Oh yes!, the review. Well this has got to be one of the best Lego Technic sets I have bought. The final build is impressive. It now dominates my desk. It looks very authentic in blue and the functions are more than adequate for one power supply. One nag is that the (claw) is manually controlled however once the power functions kick in for the other features you are more than willing to cut this beast a bit of slack. Once I started building this I could not leave it. I think I spent about 4-5 hours on it. The instructions are very clear but I would think this set is more geared towards adults. If you make a mistake with the gearbox and continue with the build then you could spend quite a bit of time figuring out where you went wrong. Take your time! Also threading the cable may cause some headaches.
Once built you have to marvel at the design and engineering that has gone into this. Lego Technic do have some pointless and functionless products (orange Porsche???) but you can’t go wrong with the construction sets. To me Technic is all about the workings of a model.
Really love this. Highly recommended. :-)

The Brightest Void
The Brightest Void
Offered by DVDMAX-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be her best to date......, 3 Jun. 2016
This review is from: The Brightest Void (Audio CD)
Someone’s going to mention Nightwish so it might as well be me. Ok, done!

This is a great effort. Not sure I liked what had been released since her solo career started but this is really creative and different. I’m not an expert on her music but it feels like this album will be her best to date. Full marks to all those taking part too :-)

The Machine Stops
The Machine Stops
Offered by uniqueplace-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD STUFF!!!, 23 April 2016
This review is from: The Machine Stops (Audio CD)
When they released Solitary Man last month I thought same old, same old....however this new album as a concept is a very different matter. Blood Of The Earth I did not like much. Onward was a really good effort however the addition of lazy live material diluted what could have been a tighter brand new studio album. Now we have a completely new, creative and well produced release which to me is well overdue. OK, we have that daft Yum Yum but that’s done and dusted before you've had time to cringe.

Sorry Mr Dibbs but Brock’s dominant vocals on the album is a welcome return to what I like best. Synchronised Blue is a cracker of a song and Hexagone is quite refreshingly unique. At first I thought it was Tim Blake singing but I think it might be Dead Fred. All you Hawksperts can correct me if I’m wrong as I’m merely a long-term fan since 1980 who rarely goes to any concerts now and drifts along with casual interest ;-)

Great solid release but only four stars as there is still nothing to beat Levitation, a five star gem to me :-)
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2016 10:38 AM BST

Warbirds: The Aviation Art of Adam Tooby
Warbirds: The Aviation Art of Adam Tooby
by Tooby, Adam

5.0 out of 5 stars FIRST CLASS!!!, 20 Jan. 2016
This book is fantastic!!!

If you are interested in 3D art and aviation then this is most definitely the book for you. Can’t believe I’ve missed this one for so long.

The art work is first class and there is a very inspirational insight on how the artist constructs his aircraft in 3D Max (I’m a Cinema user myself). I also feel that if like myself you are a fan of 'Art of' cinema and game books then this book will sit comfortably next to the others in your library.

I was disappointed with latest Art of Star Wars book but this along with The Art of Destiny are by far the best I have seen in recent years.

Nice one Adam Tooby :-)

The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens
The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens
by Lucasfilm Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars I understand that the lavish artwork is laid out to demonstrate the development of storyline but I would like to have seen a lot, 22 Dec. 2015
Sorry folks, I’m afraid I’m going to have to rock the boat here.

The problem I have with this book is that there is page after page of finished paintings and final sketches in the design process. I understand that the lavish artwork is laid out to demonstrate the development of storyline but I would like to have seen a lot more pencil sketches, marker renderings and photoshop rendering showing how particular props were designed. One notable example here is the First Order stormtrooper transport. I would like to have seen earlier sketches and development of this memorable vehicle. Earlier Star Wars and Star Trek books seemed to cover this rather well. We may have hated the prequels but we got three excellent 'Art of' books to go along with them.

I feel that this book is similar in style and format to the Marvel superheroes 'Art of' books. I’m not a big fan of these. I really hope this will not be typical of future publications.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 30, 2015 12:01 PM GMT

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Incredible Cross Sections
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Incredible Cross Sections
by Jason Fry

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on!!, 18 Dec. 2015
This is fantastic!! Just leafed through it and the artwork looks to be of exceptional standard. This book has also heightened my expectations on an extended cut of the movie!! :-)

Sketching: Product Design Presentation
Sketching: Product Design Presentation
by Koos Eissen

3.0 out of 5 stars Was this necessary??????, 19 Jan. 2015
I have the other books by the authors and think they are very inspirational. Unfortunately the first thing that has upset me here are the animal and cookware references. Although I get the message I am left wandering if it was really necessary to dedicate eight pages to this and also if another example could have been considered.

I am not a vegetarian but I am still disturbed. My wife and I volunteer for an animal charity fostering animals that need re-homed. I guess I will be bookmarking these pages in future to avoid.

It will be interesting to see if others feel the same way.

Another lavish and inspirational book but clouded by a bad choice of subject matter
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 1, 2016 9:44 PM BST

Art of Destiny (Art of the Game)
Art of Destiny (Art of the Game)
by Bungie

5.0 out of 5 stars Although I know little about all the video games out there I have to say that it is great seeing these books, 3 Jan. 2015
I have been buying 'The Art Of' movie books for years now and It would appear that there is a shift now towards gaming. Although I know little about all the video games out there I have to say that it is great seeing these books, that have been coming out in recent years. I have a few and find them really inspiring.
This one arrived yesterday and after a brief flick though the pages I have to say that I am blown over. This is not a proper review as I am not qualified to do so but if you love design drawings/renderings and concept future paintings then this is the book for you. The quality of the artwork is by far the best I have seen in recent years.
A real gem of a book!! Five stars!!!

Page: 1 | 2