Profile for Finn Jackson > Reviews

Content by Finn Jackson

Finn Jackson (Farnham, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Problem Is the Solution: A Jungian Approach to a Meaningful Life
The Problem Is the Solution: A Jungian Approach to a Meaningful Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Six stars if I could, 5 Dec. 2015
I read this book probably five years ago, in the midst of the upset of my second divorce, and it's one of the handful of books from which I have learnt useful 'rules of thumb' that I carry with me to this day.

In other words, it provides a new way of looking at things that has proved extremely useful and has stood the test of time.

What I remember from this book is that (paraphrasing) Freudians say "Terrible things happened to me when I was a child and now I have these upsetting feelings and neuroses because of them."
What Jung said was, "We have evolved to have these feelings so they must play some useful function. We all get upset about different things, so realising what we got upset about shows us what we care about, and therefore what to focus on to build a worthwhile life for ourselves. It shows us what we want to create in the world."

In other words, what we thought was the 'problem' is actually a big signpost to the 'solution'.

Weiner and Simmons not only describe what this 'problem/solution' is and why it matters, but (unusually in my experience) also offer THREE practical techniques for HOW to address and resolve the situation. To heal ourselves. (One is a way to make the feelings/memories smaller. Another is to make them more and more intense (until they disappear/lose their power). And the third is to flip between making them stronger/weaker: because in flipping between them we gain the power to turn them on and off, which puts us back in control. And then we can choose how to move forward. And having used the signposts to learn what is important, then to build it into our lives in appropriate ways.

Bialetti Venus Induction Espresso Maker 4 Cup
Bialetti Venus Induction Espresso Maker 4 Cup
Offered by 118store-com

5.0 out of 5 stars Works really well, 18 Jun. 2015
Works really well, leaks a bit down the handle if I over fill it, stays clean and shiny.

Best of Rebelle Society, Volume I: Celebrating the Art of Being Alive: Volume 1
Best of Rebelle Society, Volume I: Celebrating the Art of Being Alive: Volume 1
by Rebelle Society

5.0 out of 5 stars I've bought four copies of this book so far, 28 April 2014
(And given three to friends.) (Who loved it too.)

There is no other book I've done that with.

Why did I do that?

I'm not quite sure. Or rather, I find it difficult to put into words.

The subtitle of the book is "Celebrating the art of being alive". And how do you put that into words?

Maybe this is the answer. "Rebelle Society is a collection of articles that delve and enquire into what it is to be alive, what it is to be, what it is to create.

"It's a set of imaginative, intelligent, questioning essays, that bring me the perspectives of the people that wrote them, and thus enable me to question, understand, and appreciate an aspect of my own life."

It's a book that helps me enquire. And find.

Recommended :o)

Kundalini Yoga with Maya Fiennes - A Journey Through the Chakras: Wisdom and Bliss [DVD]
Offered by RLJ Entertainment Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars More style than substance, but still good results, 21 April 2014
I've had the three box sets that make up "A journey through the chakras" for just over six months now and have been using them almost daily during that time.

For style I give five stars: the hair, makeup, costumes and music are immaculate.

For substance, the yoga, I give only three stars: Maya does not always follow her own instructions, and her description of 'Breath of Fire' as "Just like sniffing" is misleading at best. ('Sniffing', to me, is an in-breath, whilst Breath of Fire is structured around an out-breath. So if you don't already know how to do Breath of Fire, do an online search before you start this DVD.) Also the camera work sometimes seems more interested in getting an 'artistic' angle of Maya's body than it is on providing a shot that shows you how to do the pose. So, only three stars for the yoga.

But having said that, following these DVDs almost daily for just over six months has made a real difference to me. I lost around five kilos (11lbs) in just a few weeks and have kept it off and maybe lost a bit more since. I am also now feeling healthier and better in myself. I started by cycling through the seven chakras one per day for a week. Now I find it is suiting me better to repeat each chakra for three days before moving on to the next. And even though I still can't do some of the poses at all (Why no instructions for "If you find this difficult then just..." ??) on the great majority of positions I find I have made very good progress. And this DVD has made that possible.

So, very good (and four stars) for results.

Kundalini Yoga with Maya Fiennes - A Journey Through the Chakras: Courage, Creativity and Willpower [DVD]
Dvd ~ Maya Fiennes
Offered by RLJ Entertainment Ltd

Kundalini Yoga with Maya Fiennes - A Journey Through the Chakras: Love & Truth
Kundalini Yoga with Maya Fiennes - A Journey Through the Chakras: Love & Truth
Dvd ~ Maya Fiennes

Draper 63637 Expert Revolving Punch Plier 2.0 - 4.5mm
Draper 63637 Expert Revolving Punch Plier 2.0 - 4.5mm

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very good, 8 April 2014
I have used other (cheaper) hole punches before. These are a cut above. They are solidly made, and sharp -- cut through the leather very easily indeed, unlike every other punch I have ever used.

OK, they cost more, but they save me time, do exactly what I want, and will last (probably) a lifetime.

The Complete Guide to Self-Publishing: Everything You Need to Know to Write, Publish, Promote and Sell Your Own Book
by Marilyn Ross

2.0 out of 5 stars better info available more quickly on line, 28 Jan. 2014
I am going to self publish at least one book this year.

I was excited to read this book, but on reflection I think there is now access to better (more up to date) advice, more quickly (it is quite a thick book) simply by searching/googling online.

The Leadership Dojo: Build Your Foundation as an Exemplary Leader
The Leadership Dojo: Build Your Foundation as an Exemplary Leader
by Richard Strozzi-Heckler

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book, 28 Jan. 2014
Leadership is about centring, getting in touch with who you are, facing the issues you face, and then reaching out and engaging with them (or rather, engaging with the people you need to engage with in order to address the issues).

This book why and how to achieve this.

OXO Good Grips Soft Handled Can Opener
OXO Good Grips Soft Handled Can Opener

5.0 out of 5 stars Just bought myself a set, 28 Jan. 2014
Having given a pair to my girlfriend.

More expensive than your aaaaaaverage can opener, but I'm never going back ;o)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3