Profile for F > Reviews

Content by F

F (England)

Birkenstock Madrid, Unisex-Adults Sandals, Blue (Navy), 2.5 UK (35 EU)
Birkenstock Madrid, Unisex-Adults Sandals, Blue (Navy), 2.5 UK (35 EU)

1.0 out of 5 stars Narrow fit sent instead of regular fit, 18 July 2017
I already have a pair of these and they're lovely, but this is actually a narrow fitting - it doesn't currently say that anywhere on the listing, but this is the second time Amazon have sent me a narrow fit instead of a regular fit when ordering Birkenstocks - I wish they would label it more clearly.

In Your Prime: Older, Wiser, Happier
In Your Prime: Older, Wiser, Happier
by India Knight

1.0 out of 5 stars Judgemental and unkind, 28 Oct. 2014
I always love reading India Knight's product recommendations, but I feel the book may have been better if she'd stuck just to that. A book that could have been an empowering celebration of older women is actually quite the opposite, unless your life happens to have followed the same course as India Knight's (in which case, it is indeed a wonderful celebration).

Despite having had my children at an age that the author would approve of, I found her sweeping generalisations and thoughts about women who have had children later in life or those who have not had any at all, thoroughly offensive. These outbursts of unnecessary unkindness invalidated the rest of the book for me, as I felt appalled that any writer (but especially one writing under the reassuring tagline 'Older, Wiser, Happier') would actively make the decision that it was fine to potentially hurt, criticise and belittle what is possibly a large proportion of her readership, with cruel comments so entirely irrelevant to the central premise of the book.

Little Squares & Slices (The Australian Women's Weekly Essentials)
Little Squares & Slices (The Australian Women's Weekly Essentials)
by The Australian Women's Weekly

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, 25 Jan. 2014
Really well tested recipes that taste amazing and actually turn out looking like the photos in the book. I've now bought several copies to give as gifts too.

Logitech Ultrathin Touch Mouse for Mac
Logitech Ultrathin Touch Mouse for Mac

5.0 out of 5 stars An alternative to the Apple Magic mouse, 25 Jan. 2014
I've had the Apple Magic mouse for over a year and although it looks fantastic, I've had a lot of problems with it losing the bluetooth connection several times a day, which I've read is a common problem. I bought this as an alternative and it's super - it works on more surfaces, doesn't make a horrible scraping noise when I use it resting on my computer and it doesn't seem to lose connectivity all the time. It has all the same features as the Apple Magic, such as being able to scroll horizontally as well as vertically. Unlike the Apple Magic, this mouse charges through USB - one minute of charging gives an hour of charge, so it's not inconvenient and as I was changing the batteries every few weeks in my Apple Magic (another common complaint I've heard), it's a lot more economical. I should say that my husband also has an Apple Magic mouse and his works perfectly, so I think the problems with that mouse are a bit hit or miss, but I was unwilling to spend so much money buying a new one when I wasn't convinced it would definitely work. The only thing that I'm less keen on with the Logitech is the size - it's a bit too small even for my very small hands, but I can put up with this for a mouse that works.

Success at Silver Spires (School Friends)
Success at Silver Spires (School Friends)
by Ann Bryant

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, 10 Jun. 2013
I really love this book and I keep on finding myself taking this book off my shelf again and again and again! I've got loads of these books from the Silver Spires series and I adore all of them, but this one is definitely my favourite because it's all about friendship and finding out what you're really good at. It really inspired me.

It's all about a girl who finds that she's really good at sculling (a bit like canoeing, I think), but there's another girl who is just as good as her and she wants to be the best. I won't tell you the end though because that would spoil it. But I hope that you do buy this book so that you can find out for yourself.

M.K. Aged 11.

The History Keepers: The Storm Begins
The History Keepers: The Storm Begins
by Damian Dibben

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 10 Jun. 2013
This book was great because it included things that could happen in real life and fantastical things. I kept on wanting to read one more page and once I'd finished it I wanted to go straight onto the next one. There's a good mix between history and present day. I think it would be good for anyone eleven and over or anyone who wants to read a great thriller!

M.K, aged 11.

Print & Pattern 2
Print & Pattern 2
by Bowie Style

4.0 out of 5 stars A large helping of print & pattern inspiration, 12 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Print & Pattern 2 (Paperback)
This book is the perfect companion to the Print & Pattern blog. It's beautifully presented and the clean, crisp layout allows the many prints and patterns within to shine. Each page features a designer (from Amy Butler to Marimekko, Rob Ryan to Cosmo Cricket) and a few prints that represent their catalogue of work. Along with this is a very brief history that details their training, collaborations, and where their work has appeared. My favourite detail in this though is the short list of their own design heroes that each artist has been asked to provide - it's lovely to read where who they've looked to with admiration or for inspiration.

It's an excellent book for any pattern affectionado or as a reference for illustrators and designers. The only reason that I haven't given this book five stars is because stylistically the majority of designers chosen to feature in the book have a similarly modern, bold, block-colour look as one another, and while this is entirely in keeping with the Print & Pattern blog aesthetic, it does mean that its scope isn't as wide and all-encompassing as it might have been.

The Blood Of Flowers
The Blood Of Flowers
by Anita Amirrezvani

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 2 Jan. 2009
This review is from: The Blood Of Flowers (Paperback)
I read this book about a month ago and it has stayed with me. The storyline and the characters are wonderful, but what gripped me completely is the intricate descriptions of the rugs that the central character spends her life working on: their planning and creation, the colours and their patterns. The author apparently took nine years to complete the novel and it shows in the depth of the detail and the very 'realness' she brings to life in 14th century Iran, and particularly to that of a young girl's life and what she may hope to expect from it. The book sparkles with vivid colour, that at times could seem overdone, but it was only in later Googling for images so that I might see some of the landmarks in Isfahan that are mentioned in the book that one realises quite how brilliantly Anita Amirrezvani has captured it as a place, for the colours are breathtaking and quite unlike anything else.

Incomplete Husband
Incomplete Husband
by Ben Faccini

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read, 2 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Incomplete Husband (Paperback)
Oh how I loved this book! I have used the break over the Christmas holidays to catch up with reading and picked this up from my shelf really hoping that it wasn't going to be another book that kept me so gripped that I was unable to put it down to sleep (as I was hoping to catch up on sleep as well as reading over the holidays). Unfortunately I picked the wrong book and had finished it within twelve hours of first opening it.

The author writes with a real warmth and compassion for his characters, which makes you all the more eager, despite their essentially irritating and frustrating flaws, to try to understand them as you accompany them on their troubled journeys. It explores in depth so many fascinating patterns of behaviour that are passed down from generation to generation only to surface in different forms: suffocating a child with a parent's own neediness to be loved; the attempt to morph oneself into what is presumed to be the other's perfect companion within a relationship; the sense of rootlessness that comes from leaving one's native land against the stifling oppression of staying. The ending brings redemption and a glimpse of freedom from the prisons that the central characters have built around themselves...more of a hopeful ending than a happy ending...quite perfect.

Telling
Telling
by Jo Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book that kept me awake reading until 2am..., 30 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Telling (Paperback)
I read this book late into the night in two sittings with, as some books can lead you to have, a delightfully selfish disregard for all that I might need to do the next day. The storyline is one that made me speed through the pages, while the characters, which are captivating, memorable and strong, particularly the earlier inhabitants of the house, made me wish for the book to go on for longer. In Mr Moore Jo Baker has created a man that one feels quite desperate to know, and has also brought to life the historical movement of the chartists.

I came straight onto Amazon after finishing the last page so that I might look at the other two books she has written.