Profile for Jan > Reviews

Content by Jan

Jan (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Roark (Women Of Earth Book 1)
Roark (Women Of Earth Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars The narration was poor. one of the aliens a female doctor had ..., 22 July 2016
I bought the audio version of this book and listened to just over two hours (of 10) before deciding i was wasting my life. The narration was poor. one of the aliens a female doctor had a very childish voice with a speech impediment which was really irritating and was a big spoiler for me. I have listened to books with poor narration because the story was good but for me this was a good idea poorly executed with old story lines rehashed. I might read the book for myself to see if my predictions are accurate otherwise I will leave it and any sequels off my wish list.

The Accidental Demon Slayer (Biker Witches Mystery Book 1)
The Accidental Demon Slayer (Biker Witches Mystery Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't decide about this one., 31 Oct. 2015
I can't make my mind up about this book. The heroine whines a lot which the narrator has nailed perfectly making her irritating. I like the idea of the story and it isn't bad but where it fails for me is that the comedy is hit and miss and other bits are quite dark. Generally this makes for an uncomfortable read as it is not smooth. I will try reading for myself instead of listening and see if I find it better, the fact that I will consider this means that perhaps there is hope for the book.

Wild Irish Heart (The Mystic Cove Series Book 1)
Wild Irish Heart (The Mystic Cove Series Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay if you are desperate, 3 Oct. 2015
Slow, good idea that is poorly executed.

The Bear's Unwanted Baby: A Paranormal Pregnancy Romance (Star Bears Book 1)
The Bear's Unwanted Baby: A Paranormal Pregnancy Romance (Star Bears Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 3 Oct. 2015
I found this book boring, not terribly original. The story is not particularly well written with errors in the grammar and misuse of words (or a foolish reliance on spell check). Just not my cup of tea.

Rough Exam (A Steamy Medical Romance)
Rough Exam (A Steamy Medical Romance)

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute rubbish for once I am glad that the writing/story was only a small part of ..., 16 Sept. 2015
Absolute rubbish for once I am glad that the writing/story was only a small part of the estimated 111 pages as brain death would have ensued if I read any more. Badly written there is no romance and the steam is more like pale mist. watching paint dry is more profitable than reading this.

Chick Lit Lovers Vol Three
Chick Lit Lovers Vol Three

3.0 out of 5 stars So So, 16 Sept. 2015
For £2.99 I shouldn't complain I liked two of the books but had already read Going the Distance. The School Gates was okay but the behaviour of some of the characters didn't make me sympathise with their problems. I didn't like the Swan Lake. I was predisposed to not like the story as the style of writing irritated me. I suspect it has a proper description but to me it is like reading stage directions interspersed with dialogue. I felt the author couldn't quite make up her mind whether this was a chick lit book or more serious fiction and so failed in both genres. The story was promising but the book failed to meet the promise.
Straight on 'til Morning didn't do much for me either somewhat predictable even for chick lit. The characters that were meant to be funny weren't and I didn't find the other characters particularly likeable so wasn't really bothered about the outcome. I did finish all the books though nearly gave up on The Swan lake.

Harry Plotter and The Chamber of Serpents, A Potter Secret Parody
Harry Plotter and The Chamber of Serpents, A Potter Secret Parody

2.0 out of 5 stars Why was this story written?, 26 Aug. 2015
Can't see the point of this story. I don't think it is particularly funny and the story is not interesting enough to justify copying someone else's idea to attract attention to your own work.

From Russia With Claws
From Russia With Claws

2.0 out of 5 stars Yawn, 19 Aug. 2015
Got half way through the book and realised I wasn't enjoying it at all. The plot such as it is is incredibly slow and I didn't like the characters (too formulaic) enough to carry on reading and find out what happened. The fact that all characters were Russian Mafia and living and working on the wrong side of the law did not add to the appeal. I quite like my heroes and heroines to be a bit law abiding if not completely.
More disappointed now I have found out one of the authors is Molly Harper as I have enjoyed her other books.

The Wedding Wager (Colorado Billionaires Book 1)
The Wedding Wager (Colorado Billionaires Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good entertaining read, 15 Aug. 2015
Familiar storyline but the author has made it fresh and funny. I enjoyed myself reading this and didn't want it to end which doesn't happen often.

Rescued By The Alpha Cowboy: Cowboy Romance Standalone  (Ranch Mates Series Book 4)
Rescued By The Alpha Cowboy: Cowboy Romance Standalone (Ranch Mates Series Book 4)

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage, 25 July 2015
Garbage. I have never read such utter rubbish. If it weren't for the adult nature of the book I would say the quality of the writing is what I would expect from a 12 year old. The story is unoriginal (I could only cope with the first in the three books). We discover the "hero" is an undercover agent but the author fails to flesh out his character and any other character. For for that matter the whole story is like scaffold the bare bones and no meat. In some cases failures like this are rescued by the sex scenes but again the writing fails. Essentially I cannot believe that this book ever got published.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16