Profile for bookwormsu > Reviews

Content by bookwormsu

bookwormsu "thrifty" (Somerset UK)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20
The RSC Shakespeare: The Complete Works
The RSC Shakespeare: The Complete Works

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 21 Jun. 2012
The RSC Shakespeare: The Complete Works This is really beautiful. I hesitated between the hardback and paperback but as the latter was so much less I went for that. I am glad I did because the paperback falls softly over over one's legs or lap comfortably. I think the hardback might not be so comfortable to read. It is lovely to have the complete First Folio, in such an attractive readable text on nice white paper. There is a bit of see-through but it's not distracting. Any thicker paper would have meant two volumes and a probable doubling of price. I do have a standard Shakespeare as well though, as I can see some conflict ahead between the two versions. I do agree with Judi Dench. Every home should have one.

Having the annotations on the same page is a great relief, and there is no number or asterisk in the text to distract from reading it. So many editions are now spattered with annotations, and it is a serous distraction to reading for pleasure. I might later on find the paper back not lasting as long as the hard back but that is something for the future.

I am very happy with this.It is a respectful compliment to William Shakespeare, 400 years later.

Histories Volume 2: v. 2 (Everyman's Library Classics)
Histories Volume 2: v. 2 (Everyman's Library Classics)

4.0 out of 5 stars USA Input but good, 20 Jun. 2012
Tragedies Volume 2: v. 2 (Everyman's Library Classics)

I need to have a copy that I can sit comfortably with ,and hold, and this is that. It is clear to read. It is a question of what is available. All the one volume Shakespeares are too heavy to hold and with the exception of the RSC, cramped and small text. I bought both tragedy volumes for about £6 which is round about a pound per play, and not very much more than the cost of postage, now it has gone up so much. So on the whole I like it, but what a major snag having American Spelling and publishers should be more open about this in their book descriptions. I have had three volumes of the entire set delivered and all are in "as new" condition. I suspect the set is not selling because the UK will not pay out £12 for a book with "favor" rather than "favour", and I would not buy it new, but I will for £2.81, and the text is big enough for my OAP eyes. The times I have checked the text i have seen no serious differences, punctuation is sometimes different but Shakespeare's punctuation was all to pot anyway. There has been modernisation ,for example "seem'd" is translated as "seemed" which is unfortunate. I have found out that Shakespeare used the apostrophe as in "seem'd" to indicate , that to complete the sense of the line, it had to be pronounced "seemed with a LONG E" . This means that the verse doesn't scan unless you know this and put the correct intonation in. I will have to sit with the RSC Shakespeare with me , inserting apostrophes.

I have to say that I find American scholarship not rigorous enough with English texts such as Shakespeare, and no doubt they do the same thing with John Donne and Edmund Spenser. This is due I think to their lauguage having evolved away from our native English (understandably) and they are not able to pick up sublities like, for instance, that "seem'd".

I got a used book through "Fulfilled by Amazon" which was a bit more expensive but worth it for Amazon reliability in delivering and returns. I hope this helps other shoppers.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Tragedies Volume 1: Contains Hamlet, Macbeth, King Lear: v. 1 (Everyman Signet Shakespeare)

4.0 out of 5 stars USA input but a good book, 19 Jun. 2012
I looked into Everyman, with whom I grew up, book-wise. They were a reputable, very reputable publisher of classic works. In 2002 control passed to Random House an American firm, The Signet series was published in the '90s so should be free of American accent, but I have received one that I ordered, to check. It does have American spelling. But there is a lot of good in this book. It is comfortable to hold and read, and large enough typescript for OAP. Good quality paper and binding and a bookmark. Substantial introductory essays, from Tony Tanner late of King's College Cambridge. And one has to be careful of criticism. In fact "Love's Labor's Lost" as a title in the companion "Comedies" volume is not an Americanism. It is exactly as it was spelt in the original manuscript quarto. So USA "labor" is nearer to Shakespearean language than Britain. Some of the punctuation is changed which is annoying, but Shakespeare's punctuation was all to pot anyway. Maybe I would not have paid full-price for this (I paid two or three pound for a used copy) but for what I spent very good, hardly more than the cost of postage. This was typeset by a firm in Somerset(UK) printed and bound in Germany, published in London , and its spiritual home is mid Atlantic.Hope this helps you shoppers.

Comedies Vol. 2 (The Millennium Library)
Comedies Vol. 2 (The Millennium Library)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but USA input, 18 Jun. 2012
Comedies Volume 1: v. 1 (Everyman Signet Shakespeare)

I spent some time agonizing over this book and indeed the set before purchasing. I wondered if it was American. The absence of any reviews, except a one star review with several contradictory comments to it for the Tragedies volume, was not encouraging. The postman was very late and I eagerly opened it when it came. Very impressed. A good size book, not one you would take on the bus (but i have Kindle for that)in excellent condition, seemingly unread (i got a used one). Good paper, a nice bookmark. Easy to read text. Substantial introduction by Tony Tanner late of King's College Cambridge, and edited by (sadly) a man called Sylvan Barnet who is, of course, American. Sadly sadly I have to say it is in American spelling. I am trying to be positive about this (because I have ordered the entire set, used, so I cannot return them really, well its hardly worth it with the postage). I looked up the British editions of Scott Fitzgerald and see that we do put British English ; his "colored" is rendered "coloured"in British editions. However in a scholarly text it does not seem right. The introduction is immense and probably very valuable to a student as it has the authority of King's College, Cambridge. Its a bit international as goes provenance. It was typeset by MS Filmsetting in Frome (Somerset UK), printed and bound in Germany, published by David Campbell Publishers Ltd , London, WI. Distributed by Random House (UK). It is Random House that took over Everyman from Dent in 2002, except for the paperbacks which Dent retained. Yet it appears to be Everyman, stating first appeared in 1906 and is Everyman's Library 205. Has the "Everyman I will go with thee, and be thy guide, in thy most need to go by thy side" printed in the book. So it must be Everyman, American Everyman.

I was watching for mistakes, in 1:i "civil" for "cruel" and Fennel" for "female" seemed to me gross errors, and I blamed it on poor scholarship in USA as well as their lack of access to original Quartos and Folios. But on checking I find there is good authority for both versions. Also I thought "Love's Labor's Lost" was Americanized spelling. However I find that it was spelt "labor" in the Quarto manuscript. So one must be aware of prejudice.I need to have a copy that I can sit comfortably with ,and hold, and this is that. It is clear to read. It is a question of what is available. All the one volume Shakespeares are too heavy to hold and with the exception of the RSC, cramped and small text. I dont think the Kindle suits Shakespeare, not at home, so the only other possibilities is buying the plays one by one. I bought the whole set (not the poems) for about £23 ( used) so that is very cheap per play, and not very much more than the cost of postage, now it has gone up so much. So on the whole I like it, but what a major snag having American Spelling and publishers should be more open about this in their book descriptions. I hope this helps other shoppers. PS I have put up some pics of Comedies Volume I for illustration.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Delphi Complete Works of F. Scott Fitzgerald UK (Illustrated)
Delphi Complete Works of F. Scott Fitzgerald UK (Illustrated)

5.0 out of 5 stars Includes letters to his daughter, 10 Jun. 2012
Complete Works of F. Scott Fitzgerald UK (Illustrated)

This book is absolutely Marvellous. I remembered the Letters of Francis Scott Fitzgerald to his daughter from my teenage years, and looked up Amazon to see if they were still available. I find they are not in print and only obtainable for £25-35 rather a lot. But here I find, tucked away in Delphi Classics not only his letters to his daughter but others. I loved those letters and have fond memories of reading them in the bath, when life was all ahead of me. Now for under £2 I have all his writings. It's a long time since I read this author's novels, in fact I read them before the Permissive Society, so had nothing to compare them with, but glad to have them, illustrated.Glad to have "A crack up" which helped me though nervous difficulties in my twenties . A very good edition. I am not sure if the letters are complete but am not too worried. Thank you Delphi Classics. Many thanks.

Delphi Complete Works of Virginia Woolf (Illustrated)
Delphi Complete Works of Virginia Woolf (Illustrated)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does have "Writer's Diary", 9 Jun. 2012
Complete Works of Virginia Woolf (Illustrated)

This work does have a "Writer's Diary' in it. I can live without the novels but the essays and the Diary are really interesting. So I bought it. Delighted.

LATER I thought I had better add something about Virginia Woolf. I had to study her in college and did not enjoy her novels. They are "slice of life" in that they describe all the little things, and take half a paperback book to get through not very long at all. She was an intellectual and I think she is highly regarded critically, but I have no urge to read her novels again. I think I might read her "Diary" and her non fiction. She came from an intellectual family and suffered sexual abuse from at least her brother maybe others. Maybe it was this which contributed to her increasing episodes of depression and she took her life early in the Second World War, depressed by another war and feeling guilty about her husband having to look after her all the time. But I think she was locked into a psychological mess which her upbringing and education would not let her break out of- she was in a mould she could not break. I have the feeling she might have been sarcastic and unsympathetic but I am not sure. I am not judging her, I believe she suffered a lot. High achievements were expected of her, and she had no children to humanise her life.

I remember one sentence from when I read "A writer's Diary" back in the seventies " I think one gains a hold on life by writing down the bread and butter" Something like that. She tried to hold onto reality, as her own mind was a bit fractured, and she needed that reality.

Well worth reading some of her things, especially (for women) "A room of one's own"

Devices and Desires (Inspector Adam Dalgliesh Book 8)
Devices and Desires (Inspector Adam Dalgliesh Book 8)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Kindle format, 9 Jun. 2012
Devices and Desires

It is nice to have access to the page numbers, you have to press Menu to find it. But I am getting used to judging by the percentage of book left. However this facility would be marvllous with collected works, where the percentage shown in meaningless. It is a good Kindle rendering of an excellent detective story and I was able to get rid of my yellowing paperback. However although the price of £3.59 tempted me to buy it I don't really think it is cheap anough and I have only bought at that price if my own copy is very old. I cannot see the justification for these high prices for Kindle copies, where the publisher has not had to pay for paper, book cover, art work, storage space, transport, middleman cut..........The price should really be about half this. It will be interesting to see the future of book publishing and prices over the next ten years. But I am delighted to have this on my Kindle, and the spaces on my shelves when a few P D James have been ejected as too yellow to be kept .And a hardback too, as too heavy to keep!. Now wherever I am I can pick up a P D James...bliss.

Anna Karenina (Maude Translation) (Carefully Crafted Classics® Book 1)
Anna Karenina (Maude Translation) (Carefully Crafted Classics® Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuine, 7 Jun. 2012
ThAnna Karenina (Maude Translation) (Carefully Crafted Classics) This is actually the Maude translation and it does use British English. Its amazing how many cheaper editions have the name of a famous translation on them but are something else. This one is genuine and the pictures are nice. The formatting is good. Well worth it.

Timeless Classics: Anna Karenina (Illustrated)
Timeless Classics: Anna Karenina (Illustrated)

1.0 out of 5 stars American, 7 Jun. 2012
Although this Kindle edition of the famous novel says that it is translated by Constance Garnett I am not too sure. The text uses American spelling, which is fine of you are American, but I am wanting one with British spelling. I was not aware Constance Garnett was American. Did not buy this.

Tefal Logics Saute Pan with lid Non-Stick , Thermo-spot - 26cm (Non-Stick Exterior)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. I always buy Tefal pans, 22 May 2012
I always buy Tefal pans because the non-stick lasts and lasts and lasts. This model is a very good price probably simply because glass lids are the current trend, this series may be last year's fashion. However I did have a 26 inch pan with a glass lid and was nervous of breaking it in this larger 26 inch size as I am a slap dash cook. So I am happy to get this one at about half the price of those with glass lids (and without a famous Essex chef smiling at you) I do have new glass lidded saucepans, but this large pan size I prefer the tin. Also they will not break and I have prudently kept the tin lids from my old saucepan set to use in case the glass ones break! I will be using this for flash frying before stewing meat, and all sorts of things. I never had a saute pan before it looks really useful. Do buy tefal. It is the best.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20