Profile for Greatblackhawk > Reviews

Content by Greatblackhawk

Greatblackhawk "Great Black Hawk" (London, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Criminal: : (The Will Trent Series Book 6)
Criminal: : (The Will Trent Series Book 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Riveting Read, 13 Aug. 2012
As this was a story which largely centred around Will Trent and Amanda Wagner I think it helps to have read some of Slaughter's output with these characters to get the most out of this book.
However I would concede that it can be equally enjoyed as a stand alone body of work.
The book reveals in a series of Flashbacks what Amanda and Eveyln had to endure as Rookie Cops in the days when discrimination - at all levels - was rife.
This was well chronicled and Karin gave a well balanced view of what it must have been like in those days.
However the main purpose of these Flashbacks was to narrate the story of a series of abductions of prostitutes and some macabre goings on.
It then went back and forth to the present day featuring Will Trent and Sara Linton and some involvement from Faith plus, of course the ball- breaking Amanda Wagner.
The link between then and now was that a repeat/mirror image of the prostitute abductions was taking place over 30 years on.
I found the constant toing and froing between everts in 1975 and the Present Day worked well.
What I enjoyed was getting a much better understanding of the relationship between Will Trent and Amanda Wagner which if you!ve read her other books with these two characters you'll know that Amanda treats Will, at times, with disdain (although you suspect that there might be a reason for this).
As the story unfolds the merging of evidence between the events of 1975 and the present day come together and the way the murders are described require a strong stomach!
The book is also a social commentary which Karin handles very objectively.
It was a book I really couldn't put down.
Minor niggles were few although Karin's portrayal of Will's extreme dyslexia in other books is referred to, it seemed to me that Will has made a dramatic and unexplained improvement in this Book.
Subjectively the title of this book didn't quite work for me - it is "explained" towards the end but it could have been given a more exciting title, in my humble opinion!
I expect a return of Lena sometime soon as she's a complex and troubled character.
In summary this is a really good book; well constructed and with enough misdirection (at times) to keep you guessing right up utill the last page.

The Bone Collector: The thrilling first novel in the bestselling Lincoln Rhyme mystery series

4.0 out of 5 stars A Tour de Force, 8 Aug. 2012
An fantastic book introducing Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs.
Lincoln Rhyme is one the best Criminalists around with an incredible reputation for his forensic abilities.
However the introduction to Lincoln is a few years after suffering a horrendous accident leaving him a quadraplegic.
He is longer employed by the NYPD and is questioning whether he wants to carry on and seriously addressing assisted suicide.
However whilst in this state of mind his is approached by New York's finest to help solve some gruesome serial killings.
After some deliberation he agrees and enlists a Rookie Cop, Amelia Sachs.
She's someone who knows her own mind and takes no prisoners but is strangely attracted to Lincoln Rhyme on an intellectual basis.
He acts as her mentor and she is a fast learner.
The story revolves around what seems like random kidnapping often leaving to gruesome murders.
However not in all cases, as the serial killer leaves enigmatic clues which only Lincoln Rhyme has the ability to solve.
The story builds up an incredible head of steam and sees the mutual respect of Lincoln and Amelia develop further.
The attention to detail is excellent and the way Lincoln slowly pieces together tiny clues to track down this serial killer is a great skill.
I really didn't guess the bad guy until right near the end.
There is also a great twist on the last few pages.
There were one or two times when some of the leaps from tiny fragments of evidence were a bit of a stretch to say the least!
Overall this is a really gripping read and once I got into it I couldn't put it down

Flash and Bones: (Temperance Brennan 14)
Flash and Bones: (Temperance Brennan 14)
by Kathy Reichs

3.0 out of 5 stars Running out of steam, 2 Aug. 2012
I started to read Kathy Reichs books at the same time as Karin Slaughter.
At first I marginally enjoyed Reich's output more but as time has moved on I think Reichs has painted herself into a corner.
Slaughter has a broader range of characters to choose from whereas with Reichs it pretty much just Tempe.
Slaughter also had the courage to kill off one of the main characters which I felt could backfire but her output since hasn't suffered.
Clearly there are other characters around Tempe but in her latest offering she is largely a one woman show.
Andrew Ryan figures fleetingly, Harry hardly at all and the there's her ex (Pete) having a mid-life crisis with Summer.
Perhaps, unlike others, I do like Birdy and cats have played a cameo role with other authors such as Robert Crais's Elvis Cole (even Joe Pike is taken by Elvis's cat).
Flash and Bones is an easy read but in a sense that's the problem.
There's just not that much substance to it.
The core story is pretty weak; white supermists with bigoted opinions, poisons featuring highly, the FBI lurking in the story (for reasons which don't seem necessary), a new love attraction for Tempe and the usual attempted misdirections intended to wrong foot the reader.
The bad guy was pretty obvious and the periphery with Pete/Summer was completely unnecessary.
NASCAR, as a backdrop to the story was interesting, "Skinny" Slidell was entertaining and in spite of a poor story Reichs still has the knack of injecting dry humour into her works.
She also seems a million miles away from using her Forensic Anthropoly skills being more of a Dectective in this book.
I think she needs to seriously refresh the "Tempe" brand.
She's becoming stale but that's maybe the function of less challenging stories which Reichs was a past master at producing.

Samsung BD-E5500 3D Blu-ray Player with Smart Hub (Old model)
Samsung BD-E5500 3D Blu-ray Player with Smart Hub (Old model)

3.0 out of 5 stars Fit for Purpose but you get what you pay for, 30 July 2012
I just wanted a basic Blu Ray DVD Player without too many bells and whistles and to this end this Product fits the bill.
I felt slightly miffed at having to buy a bespoke Samsung Wi-Fi Dongle but got a new one for about £35 taking the total cost of DVD Player inc Dongle to a shade over £100 which I think is cheaper than many integrated Blu-Ray DVD Wi-Fi Players.
Overall I'm happy but my needs are pretty basic.
The frustrations (other than the Wi-Fi only working by having to buy a Samsung Dongle) were it was painfully slow to apply settings to get everything set up via Remote Control.
It was quite clunky and the remote wasn't as responsive as I think it should have been.
Also the number of Apps appear quite limited.
You can get BBC iPlayer App but not the ITV equivalent, don't understand why.
Again when in the Smart Hub it's quite slow which if you use it a lot is frustrating.
However I'm not a heavy user and for what I want, playing Blu-Ray DVD's and accessing BBC iPlayer it's fit for purpose.
If I was interested in getting more out of it I think I would be hugely frustrated!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2012 5:09 PM GMT

The Fools' Crusade
The Fools' Crusade
by Pip Vaughan-Hughes

3.0 out of 5 stars An Education, 29 July 2012
This review is from: The Fools' Crusade (Hardcover)
I was given this Book by a Friend and is not my usual book fayre.

However I have read a few in this Medieval fictional genre and enjoyed some immensely so I read this with eager anticipation.

I confess not to being much of a medieval Historian and to gain as much from this Book as possible I spent a lot of time on my iPad reading up on this period of History.

It also helped me understand what the difference between a Guelph and a Ghibbeline was and what a Necromancer was. In fact I should have spotted the Author's note at the back of the Book which was useful background.

The Fool's Crusade is a well written piece of historical fiction with Petro aka "Patch" (a former relic-hunter) but is now a wealthy Banker.

The period in History centres around 1250 with the Pope and the Holy Roman Emperor trading blows (militarily, religiously and politically).

Being a wealthy Banker Petroc has considerable influence, with both sides playing games to court his favours.

This requires all of Petroc's own political adeptness to survive, but, inevitably, he is forced to choose knowing that if he, his friends and his beloved Iselda are to stay alive, he must sign up to the Crusade

As the cover notes describe the main story centres around King Louis of France planned invasion of Egypt on his Seventh Crusade.

The battle scenes are quite gruesome with pestilence among the biggest issues to address. However the author does imbue the reader with a real sense of what it must have been like.

The Fools' Crusade is quite hard work but IMO well worth it.

There are parts of it where the Author gets too bogged down and the main character portrayed as an educated academic turns into a one-man fighting machine which is a stretch of plausibility.

I didn't realise that The Fools' Crusade is the fourth book in the series however this as did not create any problems.

Altar of Eden
Altar of Eden
by James Rollins

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting idea, 23 July 2012
This review is from: Altar of Eden (Paperback)
This is my first James Rollins book and whilst an interesting idea I finished it feeling disappointed.
The central characters were somewhat transparent and predictable.
The love element wasn't really necessary but perhaps this aspect broadens the appeal of the book.
Although the idea behind the book was frighteningly plausible it somehow failed to be completely convincing.
Maybe it was that the bad guys weren't really that scary (IMO) in fact a couple of them were quite reasonable!
There was considerable amount of action which was also somehow overdone.
Perhaps in the hands of a more disciplined Editor large tracts of this book could have refined losing some extraneous elements and adding more substance in areas where it mattered.

Taken (Joe Pike series Book 4)
Taken (Joe Pike series Book 4)

2.0 out of 5 stars Unlucky 13, 11 July 2012
This is the thirteenth Cole/Pike book and the previous twelve have been excellent.
Crais has developed the characters with great care and detail and with some sensitivity.
Pike has also played a more important role of late and has become more compelling as a consequence.
The idea behind this book was interesting but it was extremely ponderous with less than interesting characters.
I had the Hardback copy and, as at least one reviewer commented, although theoritically 341 pages long by the time you cut all the blank pages etc it was a much slimmer body of work.
This is essence sums this book up as it lacked the usual Crais substance.
Maybe he's on Cole/Pike autopilot or maybe he's having to fufil his contractual obligations and deliver more work in a shorter space of time (you felt that Michael Connolly had this same problem a year or two back).
It just wasn't very good which I never thought I'd say about a Cole/Pike book.

Garmin Approach S1 GPS Golf Watch - Black
Garmin Approach S1 GPS Golf Watch - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars As a basic yardage instrument it's brilliant, 30 Jun. 2012
Having owned various range finders - mainly Bushnell - which I found quite cumbersome, the Garmin S1 wrist piece is fantastic.
It's limited in its applications but if what you want to know how far from the Green you are (front, mid and back) then you can't fault this product.
It's easy to set-up and a doddle to use.
A number if courses I play have the standard red, yellow and blue markers but when you're between then it's pure guesswork.
This product take the guesswork out of what club you need.
For example the first time I used it I was blindsided to the Flag so would under normal circumstances have had no idea how far I was from the green.
This watch told me instantly that I was 166 yards away so I took a 6 iron and landed just short of the Green!
The great thing about it is that it's extremely accurate and that it's in your wrist so you don't have to rummage through your golf bag and get out a big (relatively) piece of equipment a then spend a couple of minutes adjusting settings to tell you what the Garmin S1 will do instantly!
Downsides are few.
The battery life is good but it will need recharging after two rounds to be safe.
I did lose signal last time out for no apparent reason but I guess that these things happen.
You can also get it at Golf Direct UK and American Golf for £139.99!! (June 2012).

The Burning Soul: A Charlie Parker Thriller: 10
The Burning Soul: A Charlie Parker Thriller: 10
by John Connolly

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat Soulless, 27 Jun. 2012
As a recent reader of John Connolly's books and an instant supporter of his writing I felt very disappointed by The Burning Soul.
Whilst I really like his writing style and the characters he has created this book pretty much just focussed on Charlie Parker.
Nothing wrong with that in some ways.
He has developed Charlie Parker's character extremely well and quirky though he may be I find myself endeared by him and his dry wit.
The book started off well enough and I felt I was in store for another great read.
However as the plot developed I found it becoming more and more tortuous as each new chapter unfolded.
So instead of reading this book at a quick pace I actually got bored, which is heracy to say but I did.
The book I read before this was The Killing Kind with the villainous Mr Pudd which I thought was compulsive reading.
The Burning Soul didn't have the same edge nor characters which moved me either way.
It also meandered on too much with IMO too many extraneous diversions which led to cul-de- sacs.
I also felt the ending was a little disjointed.
To get back in the swing again I am going start at the beginning of John Connolly's books and read next Every Dead Thing, which by all accounts is superb,

PGA Tour Club Iron Protector - Black
PGA Tour Club Iron Protector - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 22 Jun. 2012
I've resisted getting iron protective covers for a number of years but decided, having bought new set of irons, to protect my investment.
These, for the money, are excellent value (I got them for about £8.00 so less than £1 a iron!).
I agree with all who have said that they are a bit tricky to get on (easily) first time but after a short time it's no bother.
It also stops the irritatating rattling noise when you're on the course for 4 hours!!
It takes a few minutes to get take them off and then put them back on at the end of your round but it's well worth the extra effort.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20