Profile for Constable Elbow > Reviews

Content by Constable Elbow

Constable Elbow (Europe)

Page: 1 | 2
Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire)
Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire)
by George R. R. Martin
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Audio tour de force!, 26 Jan. 2012
I bought this as a special treat for myself only to be played on long car journeys or while engaged in dreadful domestic chores. I'm afraid that my self-discipline didn't last long - I'm enjoying it so much that I manufacture things to do in the kitchen just so I can go on listening! I'm not quite half way through as I often listen to sections several times. The quality of the performance is superb and the different characters quite easy to pick out. It's possible that anyone completely unfamiliar with the book would struggle to follow the story from just one single listen as the plot is complex - if you've seen the TV adaptation you'll know enough to keep up (and will appreciate all the characters and plot twists which are missing from that version). If you like to immerse yourself in a really long listen, don't be put off by the price - this is something you'll enjoy again and again.

Child 44 (Child 44 Trilogy 1)
Child 44 (Child 44 Trilogy 1)
by Tom Rob Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful book!, 6 Dec. 2011
Bought the talking book of this on a bit of a whim to keep me company while cooking, cleaning etc. I enjoyed it so much that I then bought the book for myself and several other friends and family members. I'm not generally a reader of thrillers as plots usually bore me but this is a really gripping story with a fantastic twist that you see coming but can't believe at the same time. Add to this the beautifully drawn relationship between the lead character and his wife and the moving depiction of the Stalinist era during which most of the book is set and you have a a truly brilliant read. I ought to add that the audio book is read extremely well and would make a great present for someone who spends a lot of time in the car or doesn't have time to read much.

Teach Yourself Beginner's Latin (Book Only) (Teach Yourself: Language)
Teach Yourself Beginner's Latin (Book Only) (Teach Yourself: Language)
by George Sharpley

4.0 out of 5 stars Good basic introduction., 28 May 2010
I studied Latin to 'O' level 20 years ago and did a bit in my mid-twenties too. This book has been a useful reminder of the basics. It's handy having everything in one volume, especially when traveling, and the layout is clear and easy to use. One word of caution - Latin is not something which, even at this basic level, can be picked up without effort. I'm not sure how easy someone with no knowledge of the language would find this course. You need to study frequently and keep revising what you've covered as, inevitably, a lot is covered fairly quickly. However, if you are a serious student or experienced linguist, this book is certainly worth buying. It's also refreshing that the texts are set in a monastery in post-Roman times as one can get a bit tired of endless stuff about slaves, dinner parties and the forum...

The Job: Complete Series [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
The Job: Complete Series [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure comedy., 5 Jun. 2007
This series is superb.If you liked Rescue Me,you'll love this. And if you're a fan of NYPD Blue,prepare for one of the best skits of a TV drama ever made.Just a shame it's only available in this format...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2011 2:06 AM BST

New Life
New Life
by J. Malamund

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best., 22 Oct. 2005
This review is from: New Life (Paperback)
This book changed my life! I would normally hesitate to make such a boast but in the case of this book I feel I can honestly say that it has had a profound affect on my understanding of myself and of human experience. The gentle rigour with which Malamud takes apart the preconceptions of his hero and of the society of the campus reveals a profound understanding of humanity, its frailties and qualities. I was gripped by the story and fascinated by the character development - as a tradtionally educated girl who went on to work in an essentially manual environment, I found this novel hugely encouraging and supportive. Little details rang so true to me that I can only suppose the author to have had direct experience of the areas he discussed - an excellent read that has been sadly neglected by the mainstream. Read it and enjoy!

Page: 1 | 2