Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "C. UK" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
I Blame Morrissey: My Adventures with Indie-Pop and Emotional Disaster
I Blame Morrissey: My Adventures with Indie-Pop and Emotional Disaster
by Jamie Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars A music obsessive's curse., 25 April 2017
My only problem with this book, I see a lot of Jay's character flaws in myself.
As a coming of age book it really is spot on.
I found myself rooting for Jay and willing him to sort his life out.
It made me laugh out loud and genuinely sad in places.
If you were born in the relevant era and are a music obsessive you NEED to read this. Anyone else, you'll love it too.
It is partly Morrissey's fault.

Run the Jewels 3 [VINYL]
Run the Jewels 3 [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard, brutal, beautiful music!, 6 Mar. 2017
This review is from: Run the Jewels 3 [VINYL] (Vinyl)
RTJ, a name I kept hearing over the past couple of years on BBC 6 Music. The recent single 'Thieves! (Screamed the Ghost)' really caught my attention but I hadn't followed it up.
This week I played the album via stream in my car and it completely blew me away. Apart from the fact that the speakers in my car (and I'm guessing, anyone's car) cannot deal with bass such as this.
The opening track 'Down' immediately demands your full attention, and it doesn't let go of your throat until the final note of A Report to the Shareholders / Kill Your Master' which features the brilliant Zack de la Rocha.
Amongst it all 'Hey Kids (Bumaye)' is a particular piece of genius, but I'd struggle to find a low point on the whole album.
It's not always pretty but it's always magnificent, hard and takes no prisoners.
This is life affirming music and the best album of this genre I've heard in a long time.
Oh yeah of course I bought the vinyl version that night!

PhD Nutrition Diet Whey Protein Powder, 2 kg - Belgian Chocolate
PhD Nutrition Diet Whey Protein Powder, 2 kg - Belgian Chocolate

5.0 out of 5 stars Very tasty, 28 Feb. 2017
If this product is as low in calories as it states (and I've no reason to doubt it), it certainly fills you up and the taste of the peanut chocolate is fantastic.

Mutilator Defeated at Last [VINYL]
Mutilator Defeated at Last [VINYL]
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars An all time great album in any list, 22 Feb. 2017
This album is completely faultless (unless you think it could be longer). From the opening chord to the final note, it's pure bliss. If you do play this album and you only listen to Sticky Hulks once and not repeatedly, well you're just not listening properly.
John Dwyer is a genius. 6 stars

The Last of Us: Remastered (PS4)
The Last of Us: Remastered (PS4)
Offered by Online Entertainment Warehouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Peerless, 19 Dec. 2016
So I recently purchased a PS4 in a moment of pure madness. Being in my late 40s and having not really played any games since COD World at War on Xbox 360 I did wonder if consoles still had the ability to draw me in. A colleague recommended this game so I thought I'd give it a try. What I wasn't prepared for was the most absorbing, fascinating, emotional, truly awe inspiring game that I'd ever imagined existed. I have no qualms in giving this game top marks. It is a story with characters you care about and the playability is extraordinary. If you have even the slightest interest in this genre of games then get this game. If you have no interest in this genre..get this game and you will.
I'd say the age rating is right. A lot of 'f' bombs flying around and some pretty gruesome scenes.

Digging Up Mother: A Love Story
Digging Up Mother: A Love Story
Offered by Audible Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars The background of a dark genius., 5 Oct. 2016
Full disclosure, I love Doug Stanhope's work. His stand up, his podcasts..anything. If you are a fan of Stanhope's work, please listen to the Audio version of this. It's like listening to him tell his life story in his own maladjusted way.
When he gets too messed up to carry on reading he enlists his podcast buddy, bodyguard and mental illness sufferer Chad Shank to take over.
There are a lot of additions from various people named in the book. Usually when they are giving their version of events that Doug has got wrong.
This book made me stop my car as I thought I'd write it off due to fits of laughter. It also made me smile and not a little misty eyed.
I understand that Stanhope isn't everyone's thing, but if you 'get' him you'll love this insight into his dysfunctional life and upbringing, his Mother whom he clearly loved and misses hugely and his dark, twisted, cynical outlook. It's no act.

MLB.TV
MLB.TV

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't live without, 15 Jun. 2016
This review is from: MLB.TV (App)
My lifeline to MLB from here in UK. Great on any platform

Portwest Wakefield Durable Work Trousers Pants Front Crease Workwear 28'' - 48''[42''] [Tall 33''] [Black]
Offered by Socks Uwear®

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor sizing, 22 Feb. 2016
I purchased a waist size bigger than needed and they barely fit.

The Bad Guys Won: A Season of Brawling, Boozing, Bimbo Chasing, and Championship Baseball with Straw, Doc, Mookie, Nails, the Kid, and the Rest of the ... Put on a New York Uniform--And Maybe the Best
by Jeff Pearlman

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 April 2015
As a latecomer to America's sport and being in the UK, I had no idea about the 86 Mets or any other year, or any other Mets for that matter.
This book really brings to life a cast of characters that you would no longer see in professional sport (more's the pity in my opinion).
I do think you need a basic understanding of Baseball to fully appreciate the drama unfolding. And if you didn't know the results of the games during the post season then it is described in a dramatic fashion.
Excellent stuff

Will Storr Vs. The Supernatural: One man's search for the truth about ghosts
Will Storr Vs. The Supernatural: One man's search for the truth about ghosts

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and not a little unnerving, 25 Feb. 2014
Being a fan of Jon Ronson I was recommended this book. Not really knowing what the author was about I was expecting a jokey romp through the paranormal world. What I got however was a thoroughly entertaining insight into the people who devote their lives to either investigating or using the supernatural to their own ends.
Will Storr had the same outlook as me regarding all things other worldly basically it's down to over active imagination. Which only makes some of Will's investigations in this book all the more creepy when he experiences phenomena for which he has no explanation.
I highly recommend this for anyone who enjoys the work of Mssrs Ronson and Theroux. Just don't read it alone.

Page: 1 | 2