Profile for Martin G. > Reviews

Martin G. (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
LastPass
LastPass

3.0 out of 5 stars Functional but browser is poor with very few features, 15 Sept. 2016
This review is from: LastPass (App)
Although the Lastpass browser works, it doesn't even have a "back" button to step back through screens and doesn't support extensions at all. I would rate it as on a par with Microsoft's Edge browser and about as attractive in my opinion. If Lastpass would allow their extension to work with Firefox mobile I would consider sticking with them. As things stand with their poor record on security of their website, their competitors look increasingly likely to get my custom.

Hashbot
Hashbot

4.0 out of 5 stars Hashbot, Free and Open Source, 11 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Hashbot (App)
I installed this as I needed a utility to check the SHA-1 hash of a file I had downloaded. This fitted the bill.

Once you have installed it, you navigate to the file you want to check within the hashbot interface and select it. The screen goes blank for a few seconds while hashbot calculates the checksums. Checksums are created for SHA-1, SHA-256, SHA-512 and MD5. If you press and hold the relevant checksum you need it is copied to the clipboard. You can then paste it into a text editing program to compare it with the checksum you have been given for the file you want to check. This is simple enough to do, but I have knocked a star off as the app. doesn't have an automated checking facility found in other similar apps.

The help file mentions that this app. is funded using ads, altough I haven't seen any within it yet.

Dumpster - Image & Video Restore
Dumpster - Image & Video Restore

1.0 out of 5 stars Not really a file recovery program, 25 Oct. 2015
This, as far as I can tell, is simply a means of adding a Recycle Bin to the Amazon system which "catches" items that are deleted before you finally dispose of them. It isn't a recovery program in the sense I understand it. ES file explorer, which most people already have, already has a built in Recycle Bin - you only have to switch it on.

Swords and Swordsmen
Swords and Swordsmen

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Amazon Kindle Price, 25 Oct. 2015
I've not actually read this book as yet, although it is one I'd like to. I did a quick web search because the Kindle price is astronomical (£21.59 at time of this review). I was astonished to find that the publishers of this book Pen and Sword list the Kindle version on their website at £7!!! Amazon, you really have to review your pricing.

OverDrive: Library eBooks & Audiobooks
OverDrive: Library eBooks & Audiobooks

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor UK Library Support & No Customer Support, 10 May 2015
Having downloaded this app I set about linking it with my local Library. I live in an area of the midlands known as the "Black Country". The local libraries have grouped together to lend ebooks. The Black Country ebook site is missing from Overdrive altogether. Neither are any of the local towns listed.

I then tried to contact Overdrive to get my libraries added. However, it quickly became clear that Overdrive are not interested in speaking to anyone but business partners. Their "contact" page redirects you to your local library...It seems to me that unless you live in London or one of the larger cities, this app is worthless.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2015 6:44 PM GMT

Loctite 243 Lock 'n' Seal Fast Acting Thread Lock and Sealant - 3 ml
Loctite 243 Lock 'n' Seal Fast Acting Thread Lock and Sealant - 3 ml
Offered by K Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly, just be careful how much you use, 8 Oct. 2014
Worked perfectly for me. yes there isn't a vast amount in the tube, but how much do you need? One drop per thread is plenty.

3M Repositionable Precise(tm) Mouse Mat For Laptop PC's
3M Repositionable Precise(tm) Mouse Mat For Laptop PC's
Offered by We R Stationery

3.0 out of 5 stars Small size convenient but poor with a lazer mouse, 8 Oct. 2014
People have complained that this mouse mat is too small to use. I don't agree. It is big enough to be useful - particularly where space is cramped. The problem I had with it, however,is that laser mice don't like it. The cursor doesn't track accurately and keeps jumping as it is moved. I have used a very similar mat in the past with an optical mouse and it did work as intended.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Near Identical Replacements for Originals but with faults, 21 Aug. 2014
I bought these hinges to replace the original ones on a resin toilet seat originally bought from Argos. I had read on here other reviews from people who had to redrill the mounting holes to get them to fit, but I took a chamce and ordered them anyway.

Well they went straight on, fitting perfectly and are virtually identical to the original ones. However, the reason they had to be replaced was that the mounting hole for the threaded stud on one of the old hinges had stripped. This is apparently a common fault. The old hinges used to repeatedly undo themselves - the threaded stud kept loosening. I would recommend therefore that you also purchase replacement conical section washers:

4 RUBBER NON SLIP TOILET SEAT HINGE FITTINGS FOR FIXING LOOSE TOILET SEATS. FOR CHROME AND BRASS HINGES ON WOODEN, RESIN, PLASTIC, MAHOGANY,WHITE, OAK & NOVELTY SEATS.

I suggest you "shop around" before buying them however. I managed to find them cheaper in a set containing just the 2 rubber conical washers.

The washers originally supplied with the hinges are made from a slippery plastic material and are likely to cause the above fault. I've fitted the rubber conical washers from tfm-services and so far they seem to have solved the problem - I would also recommend cleaning and drying the underside of the seat hing mounting holes so that the rubber gets a good grip on the porcelain. The only reason I didn't give these hinges 5 stars is that they are made from the same soft zinc alloy as the originals which is part of the reason for the problem I have described.

PS. I have had to edit this review with a downgrade to 3 stars, and am still being generous. Since fitting these hinges, the problem I described with the main mounting stud loosening itself off is cured. But the small screws holding the upper half of the hinge to it's base plate are now displaying the same fault.

The problem is that the manufacturers have used countersunk head screws. Under the head of these screws is a lock or star washer which should stop them loosening. However the tapered countersunk head means that the lock washer hasn't got a flat surface to grip on. My solution was to use thread lock:

Loctite 243 Lock 'n' Seal Fast Acting Thread Lock and Sealant 3ml

(£3.19 from LG Tool Supplies at time of writing - very fast service) which has cured the problem.

For anyone reading this and thinking "Why didn't he just fit a new seat?". If I had, I would still have had all the same problems to solve as these hinges seem to be standard on Chinese made seats (ie. virtually all of them).

Gadgetpooluk Mini A Female USB To Micro B Male USB Charger Converter Adaptor
Gadgetpooluk Mini A Female USB To Micro B Male USB Charger Converter Adaptor

4.0 out of 5 stars A Useful Little Device But NOT a Mini A to Micro B, 30 May 2014
I bought this as others have said to adapt an old charger for a newer device. The charger has a mini B plug, which I would have thought would be the only type of mini USB connection anyone would come across these days. The only place I have ever seen a mini A plug was the photo on the Wikipedia USB page.

I sent for one even though the description didn't sound right as the photo of the socket on the product page looked like what I needed. Sure enough it fits and works perfectly. The only reason I have marked it down a star is that ideally it could do with the body being made from a flexible material so as to put less strain on the connections. How durable it is going to be I have no idea as yet. If it drops to bits in the next few weeks I'll let you know.....

They Flew Hurricanes
They Flew Hurricanes

3.0 out of 5 stars The Hurricane was an amazing plane but this book on the subject needs a few improvements...., 18 Oct. 2013
They Flew Hurricanes is an interesting selection of excerpts from a dozen or more books on the subject. If you're unfamiliar with the books quoted from (and I wasn't) it makes for an enjoyable read. What would have made the book rather more helpful would have been a bibliography. Also, the index, although present has not been converted in the ebook edition and is simply a fairly useless list of entries without any links to the pages concerned

Page: 1 | 2