Profile for Sean Inglis > Reviews

Content by Sean Inglis

Sean Inglis "Radiophile and Teleophobe" (Matlock,UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
PrimeCases® Brown Ultra Thin Smart PU Leather Case Cover & Stylus for Kobo Aura HD (will only fit Kobo Aura HD eReader)
Offered by PrimeCases

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, excellent and *exact* fit for a Kobo Aura HD, 17 April 2015
As with many of these bargains, it's 5* at the price, but I find myself thinking "I'd pay double if *these* things were improved"

Pluses:
* great fit - no danger it's going to slip out
* still easy to get to backlight, power, microUSB and microSD card slot
* better level of grip (but not perfect)
* magnetic catch fairly strong
* auto-sleep and wake work perfectly - surprising how useful this is

Room-for-improvements:
* grip - I'd prefer a rubberised or more highly textured surface on the back, but that's something I don't mind experimenting with given the cost or ruining the case is small
* fit is secure, but the front cover is off-centre - doesn't seem to affect the protection, just a bit irritating

The "leather" hinge it stiff at first. When you get it, it's worth spending a bit of time working that hinge backwards and forwards a few dozen times to loosen it up. This will make it easier for the cover to lie flat when it's folded over, and lets the cover fall more easily into place when closed.

UK Filco Majestouch-2, Tenkeyless, NKR, Click Action, Keyboard
UK Filco Majestouch-2, Tenkeyless, NKR, Click Action, Keyboard
Offered by The Keyboard Company

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid investment, 11 April 2015
I bought this to replace a similar model that I ordered without checking properly - the "Ninja" version with legends on the front of the keys. It sounds like a small difference but I found it difficult to use in lowish light.

This has the same high quality; it stays put on the desk, doesn't take up enormous amounts of space, and has a very pleasing key action (using on a new iMac with a few remapped keys via Karabiner)

A great investment if you spend a lot of time typing, and don't get on with Apples over-designed chiclet offerings

Kamor® 10.1" 10.1 inch Tablet Case with Keyboard, PU Leather Stand Case Cover + Micro USB Keyboard with Touch Screen Stylus Pen for 10.1 inch Android Tablet PC + Micro to Mini & Micro to Samsung 30pin adapter (Black)
Offered by YoSpace.U

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Nexus 10 Starter, 2 April 2015
5* when the price is taken into consideration.

I bought this for a Nexus 10 and, not having done my homework properly, assumed it was Bluetooth when in fact it connects via USB.

In many ways this is preferable, it takes virtually no setup and there's only one battery to be concerned about

Pluses
* inexpensive
* decent protection
* decent keyboard action
* very secure fitting for a Nexus 10
* includes stylus and range of connectors

Minuses
* tethered USB cable is short. As long as you pass behind the tablet this doesn't matter, it's a neat flat cable
* very secure fitting - not easy to prise in and out (I just don't remove it)
* keys are a bit sticky bottom left - likely curable when I can be bothered to fiddle with them

I'd like:
* the USB connector to be right-angled so it lies a bit more flush with the case
* dedicated tablet specific function keys. Out of the box, you can use FN-F8/F9 to adjust the volume, ESC to go back, but little else

Although I say 5*, I think it's confirmed I'd pay more for a higher quality version and probably will. Buying this keyboard would be a good way to test that theory, and you'd end up with a spare

Monument Valley
Monument Valley

5.0 out of 5 stars Memorable and atmospheric, 8 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Monument Valley (App)
Short, but a beautifully designed experience and worth every penny. If you expect a few quid to give you weeks of gameplay, this isn't for you. If you want casual immersion and oooh'd and aaaah'd at the likes of "Flower", "Journey" and "The Room" like I did, you'll be happier.

This is shorter than any of those others but, for what I got out of it, still represents great value for money

Stanley Carded 6 Way Screwdriver    0 68 012
Stanley Carded 6 Way Screwdriver 0 68 012
Offered by Building Supplies Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain convenience - buy a few, 8 Mar. 2015
These are little bargains to keep to hand in the office, kitchen, garage etc. 4 different heads with quick changing.

I bought some a few years ago and have replaced them as the heads became rounded off as I abused them. These newer models have a slightly more positive locking action when flipping the heads round but otherwise identical

Cablox Mini Cable Tidy System - Black (Pack of 3)
Cablox Mini Cable Tidy System - Black (Pack of 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good grip, fast organisation, 8 Mar. 2015
Cheap and effective. My main concern was whether or not they would adhere to the underside of the work surface they were intended for - smooth but untreated / unsealed softwood.

I gave the surface a wipe down first and let it dry thoroughly and it seems rock solid. I have 3 mounted in a line, but at a 45 degree angle, so I can run cable along the run of the desk and then out to the edge. Effective at tidying things up

Rustic Fleur de Lys Garden Lantern
Rustic Fleur de Lys Garden Lantern

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and looks the part, 8 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Rustic Fleur de Lys Garden Lantern
The recipients loved it, it's well made and was well packaged.

It was smaller than I expected, but the dimensions in the advert are absolutely accurate, so that's my failing, but I'd look for something a bit larger next time. YMMV

Logitech B100 Optical Mouse - Black
Logitech B100 Optical Mouse - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Reliable workhorse, but no horizontal scroll on this model, 8 Mar. 2015
I was after a B110 but those seem to be discontinued. The B110 I bought a couple of years ago is still going string, but the small pads in the underside have all come off and disappeared, so it squeaks a bit on some surfaces.

The B100 differs in not having horizontal scroll by pressing on the wheel in the appropriate direction. I won't miss his much, but *you* might, and I couldn't see it stated in the specs.

I use this on an iMac instead of the touch-sensitive mouse as right-clicking on that is a hit-and-miss affair for me, and the extra design features are just fluff as far as I'm concerned. This and it's B110 predecessor fit the bill perfectly at a disposable price

Height adjustable bar table 180 x 50 cm with umbrella holder Festivity Barbecue
Height adjustable bar table 180 x 50 cm with umbrella holder Festivity Barbecue
Offered by DEUBA GmbH & Co. KG.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly well-made bargain, 2 Feb. 2015
I didn't buy this as a bar table, but to use as a standing desk. I'll fill in the detail at a later date, but I'd have to say that for the price and service, 5 stars is well deserved

ETA: I wouldn't change the rating given the price, but I did feel the need to use a fairly sturdy right-angle bracket to fix the top to the wall and prevent it moving (fairly expensive iMac hanging in the balance).

The legs seem to have no trouble taking the weight but I'd be wary about situations where there's a lot of lateral motion. No problem using it to ensure pints are within range of the casual drunkard I'd imagine.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2015 12:28 PM BST

Pilot V5 Grip Liquid Ink Rollerball 0.5 mm Tip (Pack of 3) - Black
Pilot V5 Grip Liquid Ink Rollerball 0.5 mm Tip (Pack of 3) - Black
Offered by FiveBoys Stationery Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Image, Not a Pack, 19 Dec. 2014
Despite the second image on the advert, these did not come in a pack of 3, they came as 3 loose pens in a Jiffy bag. Not an issue unless you were wrapping as a stocking filler (my case).

The pens don't look as if they've been used, so no complaints from that perspective.

Even without the misleading image, I think the usual expectation would be that they are a pack and not loose.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5