Profile for A. R. Gordon-finlayson > Reviews

Content by A. R. Gordon-f...

A. R. Gordon-finlayson (Liverpool, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Rolson 59104 Stainless Steel Tweezers - 6 Pieces
Rolson 59104 Stainless Steel Tweezers - 6 Pieces

3.0 out of 5 stars Honestly not as fine at the tip as I'd expected, 23 Aug. 2014
These are OK. Honestly not as fine at the tip as I'd expected, and I can't really do any detail work with them. Wife's eye-brow tweezers are still a better bet for my modelling needs here...!

Galaxy S4 Mini Case - Black Smart View Flip Cover for Galaxy S4 Mini, Screen Protector Included
Offered by JAMMYLIZARD

4.0 out of 5 stars Go for it, 23 Aug. 2014
Good for the price - the clear window on the front has been a bonus, very pleased with that. Don't know how long it will last, but for what I paid I thin I've already had my money's worth.

Percussion Plus Tulip Block with Beater
Percussion Plus Tulip Block with Beater
Offered by Chamberlain Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 23 Aug. 2014
Bought to accompany Buddhist chanting, as much much cheaper than traditional mokugyo / moktak, but almost identical tone to a small one. Needs to be held in the hand rather than sat upon a cushion though (needs two hands).

3.5mm Black Car Wireless FM Transmitter For iPhone 5S 5C 4S iPod Samsung Galaxy S4 MP3
Offered by HwintAE

2.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps I shouldn't have been so tight-fisted..., 23 Aug. 2014
Hmmm a false economy in the end. You get what you pay for - and I paid very little! Unfortunately, there's a continual high-pitched whine, regardless of the frequency I transmit on. I can just about ignore it on short trips, but won't be using this for anything longer. Doesn't seem to hold charge for terribly long either - but you can have it plugged in and charging while it's working so not a huge issue.

Epson Original T0715 4-Cartridge Multipack (Cyan T0712, Magenta T0713, Yellow T0714 and Black T0711)

3.0 out of 5 stars Ink, 31 May 2013
It goes in the printer, my printing comes out. I feel much poorer, financially, as a result. It's a very expensive fluid, but cheaper here than elsewhere. Haven't had great results with knock-off brands, unfortunately, so feel forced to buy the original.

TABI Socks WHITE (UK Size 7-11)
TABI Socks WHITE (UK Size 7-11)
Offered by BOXING SHOP POWER-SPORTS

5.0 out of 5 stars They're tabi socks..., 31 May 2013
I don't know how much one needs from a pair of tabi socks, but whatever it is, these have it. I now wear socks with flip-flops (but I promise, only with my Zen Buddhist regalia, not down the shops).

SanDisk SDCZ37-008G-B35 8 GB Cruzer Slice USB 2.0 Flash Drive
SanDisk SDCZ37-008G-B35 8 GB Cruzer Slice USB 2.0 Flash Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars What it says on the can..., 31 May 2013
Bought this ages ago; it's still doing what I need it to do with no hiccups. A good deal, very pleased.

Confession of a Buddhist Atheist
Confession of a Buddhist Atheist
by Stephen Batchelor

5.0 out of 5 stars Personal but still widely relevant, 31 May 2013
Read this as a Zen practitioner (and ordained monk) who is torn between the reforming and traditional impulses. Found it refreshing, honest, fascinating, informative... list adjectives here. Especially liked the sense of the Buddha as a human in his contemporary socio-political context; it's not a stance I've been presented before and it makes my own practice and Buddhist teaching more accessible to me, so I'm very grateful to SB for an excellent read that I'll be coming back to repeatedly.

Highly recommended.

Toshiba HDR5010KB 500GB Freeview+ HD Digital TV Recorder
Toshiba HDR5010KB 500GB Freeview+ HD Digital TV Recorder

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 9 Oct. 2011
Overall, we're very pleased with this PVR. An unconscionably long boot time, though - and the interface colour scheme is pretty drab. Apart from this, does as we'd expect it to do. Oh, the other thing was that there's an ethernet port in this back... but apparently this doesn't do anything and never will, so slightly disappointing (though I didn't even know about it when I bought it, more of a sudden spike of hope & interest when it was unboxed... which was later dashed after some googling!).

ZEN Master Who?: A Guide to the People and Stories of Zen
ZEN Master Who?: A Guide to the People and Stories of Zen
by James Ford

5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle yet critical - highly recommended, 11 Nov. 2008
A wonderful coverage of the characters and stories of Japanese Zen Buddhism. James Ford covers the transmission of Zen from Bodhidharma down to the current generation of American Zen masters, with much more emphasis on the more recent. He introduces the stories of Zen's "mind-to-mind" transmission with a gently critical aspect, inviting us to question the role of this transmission in modern Zen - neither dismissing it out of hand nor accepting it unquestioningly.

He treats some of Zen's more notorious modern figures honestly and yet still fondly, pointing out their feet of clay and yet at the same time reminding us what a tremendous gift they've left in the West.

I'd recommend this to someone who already knows a little about zen practice (or a lot!), but it's not designed to be an 'intro to zen' text so won't fulfil that function. As a starter to a modern critical appreciation of Zen Buddhism (for both practitioners of zen meditation and non-practitioners alike), this is an essential read.

I'd also recommend this to Zen practitioners who want to understand the socio-cultural positioning of their own traditions - sometimes it's hard to see outside of one's own lineage, sect or tradition, and James Ford's treatment also shows us how much we have in common, and how the differing emphases of the various teachers around today are all part of a bigger tapestry of applied zen practice in this fascinating context where traditional Japanese religious Zen meets Western liberal secularism.

Page: 1 | 2