Profile for Greenhill > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Edible Mushrooms: A Forager's Guide to the Wild Fungi of Britain and Europe
Edible Mushrooms: A Forager's Guide to the Wild Fungi of Britain and Europe
by Geoff Dann

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book with fascinating accessible information (despite rather irritating font), 27 Oct. 2016
I have just edited and updated my review to 5 stars (from 4).

It's still taking some effort ignore the distracting font, but the quality and interest of the text has made me rethink.

I didn't buy this for foraging purposes. I have very mixed feelings about the rise in foraging - I'd rather leave fungi for others to enjoy. However, the cross-referencing to "similar species" is so much more helpful than any of my other fungus identification books. Good alongside other books for beginners interested in identifying fungi.

It is also fascinating reading about how different cultures have used fungi - sometimes coming to entirely different conclusions.

The identification difficulty ratings are very helpful and the full details about poisonous and confusion species are good too.

Below is my first impressions review.
Love the Porcelain fungus story. :). The pictures look good. It seems petty and trivial, but the odd font with links to p and t is really having a negative impact on my response to the book. I keep having to stop reading to have a break from it. It's very off-putting, and a pity (I'm really interested in fonts - but really don't warm to this one - too fussy.) I hope I'll be able to come back later and post a more positive review. (I'm also not sure whether the arguments in favour of foraging really hold water. But any new book encouraging people to hold fungi in greater respect seems worth looking at.)
Comment Comment | Permalink

LE Ultra Violet LED Flashlight/Blacklight Torch, UV LED Flashlight, 9 LED 395nm, Pet Urine & Stain Detector, 3 AAA Batteries Included, Find Stains on Clothes, Carpet or Rugs
Offered by NEON Mart

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy for moths and lichens, 23 Mar. 2016
Does the job, though a lot of blue/purple (non-uv) makes it harder to see fluorescence. (Who knew that yellow lichens fluoresce bright pink?!) I'd like to find out more info about eye-safety with uv though - it does seem to give me some eye-strain after using it for a few minutes. It picked up a butterfly chrysalis in the dark, that I hadn't noticed in the daytime.

The Art of Hearing Heartbeats
The Art of Hearing Heartbeats
by Jan-Philipp Sendker

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable if read as a fairytale, 13 Dec. 2013
I almost gave up in the middle, when it all went rather woo-woo, but as it was a book group read, I carried on to the end. I'm glad I did, because overall I enjoyed it, but felt it needed a shovelful of salt to accept the 'hearing heartbeats' bit. Someone who is blind probably is likely to develop a more acute sense of hearing, because they spend more time focusing on it (I used to visit a school for the blind, and some of the children knew who was approaching the school by recognising the car engines), but not to the degree suggested in the book, where impossible-to-hear things are heard and recognised.

So it wasn't one of the best books I've read, but if you enjoy magical/fairy stories you will probably enjoy this. If you do like this one, another to look out for is Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. I loved that.

Depressive Illness: The Curse of the Strong (3rd Edition): Volume 3 (Overcoming Common Problems)
by Dr. Tim Cantopher

5.0 out of 5 stars The title alone helped!, 10 Mar. 2013
Really helpful alongside other books on the subject - single most useful one was David D Burns' Feeling Good, but this one added other aspects that I hadn't got from other books.

Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy
Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy
by David D., M.D. Burns
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I read on the topic., 10 Mar. 2013
Reading this made me feel so much better, so fast. The exercises need to be worked through, but they really help. Definitely recommended for anyone with mood problems.

Overcoming Depression: A self- help guide using Cognitive Behavioural Techniques
by Paul Gilbert

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of very useful ideas, 10 Mar. 2013
Not quite as instantly accessible as some other books on the topic, but I did find the idea that compassion for yourself is a key part of recovery really quite compelling. Definitely a useful book to have read, and one that I will go back to again. The one that I found most instantly useful though was David D Burns' Feeling Good - not particularly new, but really really helpful.

Mrs Crimble's Cheese Bites Original 60 g (Pack of 6)
Mrs Crimble's Cheese Bites Original 60 g (Pack of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum, 19 July 2012
These are very tasty. They are a good substitute for a Cheddar-loving coeliac (Cheddar as in the biscuits). They are expensive (the stars are based on flavour rather than price), as many gluten-free substitutes are, but for a change of flavour, or to nibble on a journey, they're good. Tasty dipped in Philadephia cheese too. And they look pretty - little inflated triangles.

Mrs Crimble's Gluten Free Chocolate Macaroons - 6 Slices per pack (Pack of 6, Total 36 Slices)
Offered by British Essentials

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, 19 July 2012
OK, so coconut macaroons are a naturally gluten-free recipe, but with these you know there's been no cross-contamination. And they are very, very good. Moist, chewy, mmmmmmmmm. They are big though - you could probably cut one in half and feel you'd had enough. But I ate all of mine in one go. As a newly-diagnosed coeliac, I am very happy indeed to have found these, as they are *much* tastier than many gluten-full cakes.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 5, 2013 9:23 PM BST

Red Lotus
Red Lotus
by Pai Kit Fai

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading author name, 9 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Red Lotus (Paperback)
After struggling through several pages, I thought I'd find out a bit more about the author.

I was rather taken aback to find that, according to his website, 'Pai Kit Fai' is in fact Geoff Pike (born 17
October 1929) and is a "British-born, naturalized Australian writer,"

Maybe this has something to do with the book being "full of English heroes" and "Chinese villains" as one of the reviews mentions? There are a lot of Chinese baddies, and they're not all men either.

To be fair, I probably shouldn't have started reading a book with the subtitle "A rare beauty. A fierce heart. A destiny she must resist." It is a bit Mills and Boon-y.

But more readable than I'd expected.

The Summer of the Bear
The Summer of the Bear
by Bella Pollen

4.0 out of 5 stars Rather strange, but I enjoyed it, 9 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Summer of the Bear (Paperback)
I wasn't sure whether I'd like this or not, as I'm not too keen when things get a bit magical, but somehow this just worked. I thought the characters were believable, all struggling to make sense of things in their own ways, some of which were quite odd (but plausible) and not really communicating because they were trying to protect each other. I enjoyed it, even the rather strange bear bits.

Page: 1 | 2