Profile for David > Reviews

Content by David

David

Page: 1 | 2
Duronic Black 0.5m CAT6a FTP Professional Gold Headed Shielded Network Cable - Black - High Speed 500MHz Premium Quality Cat6a / Patch / Ethernet / Modem / Router / LAN
Offered by DURONIC

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, stay away, 9 Jan. 2015
I ordered about 6 or 7 of these cables in varying lengths. 5 Meter, 1.5 Meter, 1 Meter and 0.5 Meter.

All of them are completely rubbish. One of my 1.5 Meter's didn't even function, its pins are wrong. And the other cables are rated "poor" by my Intel Nic's cable tester. I can't get over 60MB/s through any of these cables but I can get 112MB/s through a generic Cat5e cable.

Don't waste your money on this junk, complete rubbish.

EDIT:// Also I just wanted to add, all of the cables I received used 26 AWG wires inside. That is ridiculous gauge cable to use on Cat6a. The recommended wire size for Cat6a is 22 to 24 Gauge. And for Cat5e it's 24 to 26 Gauge. So not only are these gauges not correct for Cat6a they push the upper boundary on what is acceptable on Cat5e too. You can actually get cables from Belkin (on Amazon) that are Cat5e with 24 AWG wires.

Seriously don't buy these cables from Duronic, total rip off.

NZXT Grid Fan with White LED
NZXT Grid Fan with White LED

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product that is very small and easy to hide ..., 25 Nov. 2014
Excellent product that is very small and easy to hide within the case. I give it four stars instead of five due to the connectors being so far in to the unit that you have to tug on the cables to remove them which could loosen the cables from their connectors.

Overall a very simple product that does exactly what it's designed for.

Apple MF052ZM/A Smart Case for iPad Air- Red
Apple MF052ZM/A Smart Case for iPad Air- Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case with a premium feel, 19 Oct. 2014
This is an amazing case. Very high quality leather. Has that wonderful leather smell too. Protects the iPad very well and the leather around the back and sides of the iPad is very thick, it fills me with a lot of confidence that it would protect the iPad adequately.

The front cover that flips around is also well constructed. Overall this feels like a very premium and well manufactured case. I would recommend it to anyone with an iPad Air. Just keep in mind this specific case will not fit the iPad Air 2. You'd need to get the thinner version designed specifically for the iPad Air 2 instead.

Plastic Dolly Service Cart Trolley
Plastic Dolly Service Cart Trolley
Offered by Sivitec_Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality dolly at a good price, 20 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Plastic Dolly Service Cart Trolley
Very good quality dolly, not noisy, well balanced, feels very well constructed and solid. Great price too.

ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16 Server Board (Socket 2011, Intel C602, DDR3, S-ATA 600, SSI EEB)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great board at an unbelivable price, 20 Sept. 2014
This motherboard is an absolute steal at Amazons price. If you have a case which can take the SSI-EEB form factor (which is huge) then this motherboard may even be more affordable than single socket LGA2011 boards that have less DIMM, PCIe, Storage or LAN ports.

I purchased this board to use single socket due to its low price and I paired it with an E5-1650 but it also supports the Core i7 LGA2011 processors in single socket operation only. Just remember that's LGA 2011 ones like the 3930K it does not take 1366 1156 1155 or 1150 socket Core i7's nor does it take the newer LGA2011v3 i7's.

The IPMI on the board is excellent too, it includes an iKVM when using the onboard graphics chip so you can view the systems screen remotely over the network regardless of the operating system in use, you can even view the BIOS screen through the iKVM which is infinitely useful for a remote server.

One last thing I wanted to discuss was the ASPEED AST2300 graphics chip that is embedded in the motherboards BMC and fully integrated with the IPMI remote administration system. This chip provides a single VGA output on the back of the board and has 16MB of video memory.

At first glance that graphics chip may seem woefully inadequate but I'm running Windows Server 2012 R2 on the system and it is performing absolutely perfectly. All the transitions and effects including the highly animated Windows Start Screen work flawlessly with no visible dropped frames or lagginess. I was intending to fit a dedicated graphics card before I received the board but after being incredibly impressed with the AST2300 I've decided not to bother.

So to conclude the review, this board is amazing value and I'm honestly surprised it's not priced higher, I got mine from amazon for £163 and I see it has gone up slightly in price but this board is a steal at any price below £400 in my honest opinion.

Kingston ValueRam 32 GB 1,600 MHz DDR3 DIMM Memory Kit (4 x 8 GB) with Thermal Sensor - Intel Validated

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value memory, 20 Sept. 2014
Great value memory. I ordered 64GB (8 x 8GB Sticks) and ran them in my server. My server board were able to read the timings, speed and voltage correctly and ran the sticks no problem at the rated 1.35v @ 1600MHz

It's great RAM at a stella price, I would buy more in a heart beat.

Corsair AX1200i Professional Series Digital AX 1200i ATX/EPS Fully Modular 80 PLUS Platinum PSU

5.0 out of 5 stars Great power supply, 20 Sept. 2014
Excellent power supply. Very quiet. It costs a lot of money but it's worth every penny.

The cables included are all modular and match the power units quality perfectly.

Supermicro SNK-P0050AP4 Heatsink Socket G34 / LGA1944 Silver
Supermicro SNK-P0050AP4 Heatsink Socket G34 / LGA1944 Silver
Offered by RLO UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performing heatsink, easy to Install., 26 Aug. 2014
This is a really great heatsink. The installation is very straightforward and includes an easy to follow installation guide.

It comes with thermal paste pre-applied to the bottom of the heatsink which is protected by a plastic cover. The fan included is a high quality dual ball-bearing fan that when at 100% pushes an enormous amount of air. It is however quite noisy when running at its maximum speed of around 3,500 RPM. I have it set to around 2,600-2,700 RPM and it is much quieter while still delivering excellent cooling.

I would not hesitate to buy another one of these coolers.

Kanex SnapX 2x Switcher for Mac, Two Port Switcher Control Two Macs with One Keyboard & Mouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly!, 20 May 2014
I'm using this with a 3007WFP Dell monitor. This monitor only has Dual-Link DVI and not Display Port so I'm also using a £20 Mini-Display Port to Dual-Link DVI adapter from ebay and it works flawlessly for this usage.

I get the full 2560x1600 @ 60 FPS on both my Windows PC and my Mac with the SnapX 2x - It switches instantly and it just works perfectly. One word of caution if you're intending to use this like I am with a Dual-Link DVI adapter then don't buy the Apple adapter as it does not work (I found this out the hard way) just get a no-name model off ebay those work perfectly. Also the Kanex C30 (their own Mini-DP to Dual-Link DVI) looks identical in appearance to the cheap no-name ones so I'm assuming its an OEM design resold by a few companies.

Masterplug SRGAUSBPB-MP Surge Protected Mains USB Charger
Masterplug SRGAUSBPB-MP Surge Protected Mains USB Charger

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, 13 May 2014
I purchased this for use in the kitchen so I could charge my e-cigarettes more conveniently as they use USB. It works perfect for that usage and the pass through plug also functions fine

It feels well made and it's not so large that it fouls other plugs sitting next to it connected into the same wall outlet.

Page: 1 | 2