Profile for K. Pontikos > Reviews

K. Pontikos "niko" (uk)

Lifeventure EX Cotton Travel Sleeper Rectangular, Colour Charcoal
Lifeventure EX Cotton Travel Sleeper Rectangular, Colour Charcoal

5.0 out of 5 stars saved my ass in India, 2 May 2013
Bought this for me and my team mate before going to India for the Adventurist Rickshaw Run.
We didn't camp but I used it on mattresses in hostels and hotels of varying quality across the country.
It's really comfortable and light so you can sleep completely cocooned inside yet it provides great protection against mosquitoes.
I very rarely got bitten during the night and I have this product to thank.
I recommend it to anyone traveling to these sort of countries even if you plan on staying in hotels.
It compact, light and combines comfort and full protection against mosquitoes.
Great product!

De'Longhi Icona ECO310.R Pump Espresso Machine, Scarlet Red
De'Longhi Icona ECO310.R Pump Espresso Machine, Scarlet Red

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after 2 months!, 1 Sept. 2012
A faulty product: DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS IT STOPS WORKING.

I bought this 2 months ago. First the coffee filter detached itself from the gasket and now
it has completely STOPPED WORKING: causes a power cut when run!

I will fight to get it fixed or refunded.
If not, that's £100 of my money down the drain.

Legal robbery.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2012 6:05 PM BST

R Graphics (Chapman & Hall/CRC The R Series)
R Graphics (Chapman & Hall/CRC The R Series)
by Paul Murrell

3.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced, nearly nothing on lattice, not what I wanted, 14 Jun. 2009
This is a pretty thin book which costs the same as the R book and contains a fraction of the information. Also doesn't go into enough detail for the lattice package. Does cover pretty well graphic drawing primitives which I however don't have any use for. Anyway if you are considering buying this I suggest you check out other reviews on Amazon US beforehand. So far I'm a bit disappointed with this book and considering buying the "Lattice: Multivariate Data Visualization with R" as a supplement.

R Programming for Bioinformatics (Chapman & Hall/CRC Computer Science & Data Analysis)
by Robert Gentleman

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't concentrate on what R is good at, 14 Jun. 2009
This is mostly about genomic analysis i.e. which involves interfacing with sequence databases using web services etc. In my opinion if you want to be doing that you should be using Python and Perl instead of R anyway (or even Java). Also doesn't really contain any information about Bioconductor or about microarray analysis. I haven't found much use for this book yet.

The R Book
The R Book
by Michael J. Crawley

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reference for Anyone Learning R, 14 Jun. 2009
This review is from: The R Book (Hardcover)
I've been working on a microarray data analysis project for the past month using R.
I was initially reluctant about buying this book because it's expensive and when it comes to programming the online reference and Google are usually enough for all programming languages I've come across. However out of frustration with the R online documentation which is nowhere as comprehensive and clear (this is really one of R's weak points in my opinion) at it ought to be I decided to buy this book. Let just say that beside being very good value for money compared to other much thinner R books out there (i.e. like the R Graphics book), it covers all the essential background such as working with indices, data frames and tables (which for someone coming from other languages are really the best features of R) in pretty extensive detail. If you are going to buy an R book, this is the first R book you should buy. You will then be able to make a more informed decision when it comes to buying the next one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 1, 2011 8:37 AM GMT