Profile for Paul Williams > Reviews

1 Meter AV AUDIO VIDEO CABLE FOR SONY PLAYSTATION 2 PS2 PS3
1 Meter AV AUDIO VIDEO CABLE FOR SONY PLAYSTATION 2 PS2 PS3
Offered by Gameseek

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 20 Oct. 2015
Not worth complaining about as product was so cheap, but it didn't work at all.

Art Beyond the Lens: Working with Digital Textures
Art Beyond the Lens: Working with Digital Textures
by Sarah Gardner

3.0 out of 5 stars and I found that chapter the most useful part of the book, 19 Sept. 2015
Let's start with the positives;
This book will show you lots of inspiring images that give a clear impression of just how much can be achieved by blending digital textures and fills.

It will also give you a few pages of instruction of how to achieve the same sort of effects that she does, and I found that chapter the most useful part of the book.

But...

It was only one chapter, and it certainly didn't justify the price of this book. Nor do the promised "free textures to get you started". There were three of them.

In summary then a brief and useful read that could have been a much cheaper ebook.

Tateossian Blue Sodalite Bracelet with Beads
Tateossian Blue Sodalite Bracelet with Beads

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and a good fit when adjusted with the knotted cords, 22 Feb. 2015
Stylish and a good fit when adjusted with the knotted cords. It's a narrow bracelet, but that's exactly what I was looking for.

Lowepro Photo Hatchback 22L AW Bag for DSLR Camera - Slate Grey
Lowepro Photo Hatchback 22L AW Bag for DSLR Camera - Slate Grey
Offered by EStore99

4.0 out of 5 stars Compromise again, but a very good one., 22 July 2014
I've long since come to the conclusion that there's no such thing as the perfect camera bag; it's a question of horses for courses. I've a Thinktank trolley bag which is perfect for location shooting if travelling by car or train, but if you've got to carry/drag it for any distance it becomes a pain. My Manfrotto sling bag is great in terms of flexibility when shooting in town allowing me to access lenses, flash units, tripod and more with relative ease, but it's not a bag for travelling with as it offers little option to separate your food, drink, clothing etc from the equipment.

When travelling or on holiday I've tended to use an old day sack rather than anything camera specific, running the risk or damage from unpadded sections, until now.

I love the layout of this bag. The location of the equipment box is inaccessible to potential thieves when worn with both straps, but easy enough to get to when casually carrying the bag over one shoulder. There's lots of space for personal gear, and even though the spec offers space for only an 11" laptop, my 13" macbook air can be accommodated. External pockets for drinks keep fluid away from the precious stuff, and the integral rain cover is great news when humidity turns to thunderstorm. It's a great shape too, without too many protrusions to get caught on luggage racks or overhead storage bins. Comfortable to wear and a choice of colours, what's not to like?

Well I currently have a 5d mk III, three lenses and a speedlite in the bag. Good equipment for a variety of uses, but it needs a tripod to complete the set up. Trouble is there's nowhere to stow it here. I'd have expected a couple of compression straps, or even some fixing points to be able to add your own, but nothing doing apart from the SlipLock shoulder loops which isn't where you want to be adding bulk. Of course adding these things would take away from the sleekness of the bag which is one of the things I like, but if its a question of priorities a camera bag should consider a tripod option.

ADATA S107 32GB USB 3.0 Rugged Style and Fast Read Speed up to 90MB/s Flash Drive, Blue (AS107-32G-RBL)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 Jun. 2014
Fast, capacious, reliable and tactile. Job done.

Kindle Paperwhite 3G, 6" High Resolution Display with Next-Gen Built-in Light, Free 3G + Wi-Fi

2.0 out of 5 stars Great reading tool but..., 23 Jun. 2014
The kindle does everything Jeff Bezos promised, it provides a lightweight and simple way to make reading easier. Only one thing to carry when you travel instead of pounds of paper. Fabulous.

Until I slipped it in a pocket while signing in at a meeting.

Took it out again seconds later to find the screen broken. It didn't last me a month.

Now I'm sure its my fault for putting it under pressure (though my backside isn't so large), but I've never had that happen with an Apple. Guess my customer expectations of robustness were set by the competition.

Solo: A James Bond Novel
Solo: A James Bond Novel
by William Boyd

5.0 out of 5 stars True to the spirit, 7 Dec. 2013
Well done William Boyd. I've not always enjoyed your work over the years and was worried when I heard you'd been commissioned to do this, but you surprised me. You avoided the trap of writing the formulaic film screenplay with megalomaniac villain and huge, technological lair and concentrated in putting Bond into a realistic setting and epoch. Playing to your strengths by introducing Africa made a lot of sense, but also provided a refreshing backdrop for Bond to play against. I enjoyed every minute of it, even down to the way you resisted the obvious denouement! More please!

The Hot Shoe Diaries: Big Light from Small Flashes: Creative Applications of Small Flashes (Voices That Matter)
by Joe McNally

5.0 out of 5 stars Personal taste..., 31 Jan. 2011
...you may not like his irreverent style, but he's informative, inspirational and to the point. I've loved reading the book, and tried a lot of new techniques too.

Marware Sportgrip Iphone Black
Marware Sportgrip Iphone Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in the short term..., 5 Sept. 2010
...but after three months of use my has started to stretch around the raised buttons of my iphone. A real pity because the case looks and feels good and has a great non slip texture that stops it sliding around in my car. At the moment I can just about put up with the bagginess, but if it continues to deteriorate I'll be back on the hunt for the the ultimate case once again!

Olympus Battery Holder for 3x CR123
Olympus Battery Holder for 3x CR123

4.0 out of 5 stars A handy back up when recharging isn't an option, 1 Feb. 2009
This little plastic case enables you to insert ordinary batteries into your olympus camera in place of the rechargeable battery. Great as a back up if you're working somewhere remote where the opportunity to recharge cannot be guaranteed.

I recently took this to Tanzania where it was a godsend.

My only criticism is that the plastic isn't particularly robust and everytime I clip the lid over the batteries I fear that something might break. Nothing has as yet, but I wish I was instilled with more confidence.

Page: 1 | 2