Profile for David > Reviews

Content by David

David (The Eastern States)

Bona Drag [20th Anniversary Edition]
Bona Drag [20th Anniversary Edition]

2.0 out of 5 stars The Age of the Downgrade, 14 Oct. 2010
Why should an "Anniversary/Deluxe/Remastered" edition of an album be a downgrade from previous editions?

I could complain about the flimsy packaging, but I won't. I could complain about the lack of sleeve notes, information and lyrics, but I won't. I could complain about the changed cover (which has rendered the original striking image as pale and non-descript) but I won't. After all, it's the quality of the contents that are important - and that's what I do wish to complain about.

Although the remastering itself seems fine in terms of sound quality, the contents of this album have been edited and altered from the original, with no notice or reasons given. The middle of "Ouija Board" has been cut out, thereby losing the structure and integrity of the song. It's always been one of my favourite songs on the album, and now the whole payoff/punchline is inexplicably gone! This is revisionism as vandalism, and constitutes unforgivable meddling with the integrity of the original song and album. The bone-headed decision to blend the end of one song into the beginning of the next is also a serious offence, demonstrating contempt for the integrity of the original.

No number of "Bonus tracks" on a reissue will make up for losing or altering the original!

The best options here are to stick with the original CD or singles or, better still, get The HMV/Parlophone Singles 1988-1995. It's great value, and includes several relevant b-sides left off both the original Bona Drag album, and this remaster's bonus tracks. Its sound is a bit quieter than this remaster.

Don't sell me a "downgraded" version of something I already own by telling me it's an "upgrade"!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 26, 2016 6:04 PM GMT