Profile for jf_t > Reviews

Inside 3D Studio Max 3: Modeling, Materials and Rendering v. 2
Inside 3D Studio Max 3: Modeling, Materials and Rendering v. 2
by Jeremy Hubbell

1.0 out of 5 stars Big heavy book, small content and value!, 6 Nov. 2000
What you find in the book: - Many commercial comments. something like "the version 3 of 3DS max was designed to boost your productivity". - General and boring examples. What you won't find: - A description of the 3DS max interface. - Where are the tools, how they work. - How to work with 3DS max. The book is big and heavy, and I said to myself: "this is the one to buy if you want to become a master with 3DS max!" How disappointed I am! To be honest I have not read all the book. I went through the chapters looking for valuable information. I found hardly nothing of some interest. Nowhere, the author describes, even briefly, the 3Ds max interface. He seems to consider this as a perequisite (why should we need the book then?). He gives general examples about modelling operations or tools without explaining carefully how to perform a particular operation, or at least where is the tool he used to achieve it. If you already know something about 3D animation, this book is not for you. The user manual and your experience will do more. If you are a novice, this book is not for you either. You won't really learn anything valuable with this one. I just found myself frustrated after having spent a few hours reading this big heavy book.

Lingo in a Nutshell
Lingo in a Nutshell
by Bruce A. Epstein

5.0 out of 5 stars A must Have!, 6 Dec. 1999
This review is from: Lingo in a Nutshell (Paperback)
This book provides the most reliable and consistent information about Lingo programming. The author will teach you how to use all the resources that Lingo offers, even the ones that you have never heard of. The organization of the book is very clear and efficient. Its tables provide you detailed and clear information about any lingo you want to use.
I took the habit to have it open on my desk as my reference book.