Profile for Harbour Rat > Reviews

Harbour Rat

Departure and Farewell
Departure and Farewell

4.0 out of 5 stars worth waiting for, 29 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Departure and Farewell (Audio CD)
Another beautiful album from the Brooklyn based outfit. Well crafted songs with beautiful instrumentation but it's Sally Ellyson's voice which really makes Hem's music a joy to listen to. Doesn't hit the heights quite so often as previous albums 'Eveningland', 'Funnel Cloud' and 'Rabbit Songs' but is not far off.

Site Works
Site Works
by Robert Davidson

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Site Works' Works, 27 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Site Works (Paperback)
I was intrigued by this book, having had my arm slightly twisted to persuade me to stock it in our shop. The sub-title 'The Ness and Struie Drainage Project' might not excite prospective readers but despite my scepticism, I plunged into the sewage and emerged having really enjoyed it. It tells the story of the workers and bosses on a building/engineering project - their struggles, hopes and fears, the uncertainty of their lives. It tells of the risks they take, the dangers they face and the pride some of them take in their work. The author gives a voice to these men who are often voiceless. Perhaps not since Patrick MacGill wrote of his experiences as a navvy have these voices been heard so clearly. At times I felt I could have done with a glossary of terms to refer to but with a little guess work and imagination I got by. Though set in the dreary winter months in the far North of Scotland, this is not a parochial or regional book and can be enjoyed by all.