Profile for R. E. Costabell > Reviews

Content by R. E. Costabell

R. E. Costabell "Resli Costabell" (London, England)

Will Shortz Presents Killer Sudoku: 200 Hard Puzzles
Will Shortz Presents Killer Sudoku: 200 Hard Puzzles
by Pzzl.com

1.0 out of 5 stars It's not a book of puzzles that are Killer Sudokus ..., 13 Sept. 2014
It's not a book of puzzles that are Killer Sudokus: it's a book of ordinary sudoku puzzles that presumably are difficult. "Killer Sudoku" is a distinct form of puzzle - not the same as a regular sudoku but more difficult. I don't know how the content is, but the title is misleading.

Straight to Yes
Straight to Yes
by Haider Imam

5.0 out of 5 stars science made simple, 9 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Straight to Yes (Paperback)
This is a book for people who want pointers and ideas that are based on research and trials, but who don't have the time to get a PhD in Behavioural Economics. Loads of interesting and very readable examples. Plenty of juicy research - not the usual pop psychology based on somebody's vague ideas of "what works for most people". Very down to earth tips for how to apply it, so you don't just end up thinking "I should do something" and feeling guilty. This is a book I'll read once, and come away buzzing with ideas for how to get more Yeses. Then I'll read it again, to pick up on all the the great ideas that got pushed away by other great ideas the first time.

I'm trying to think of anyone who couldn't benefit from this book. Nobody comes to mind.

Kakuro 2: Beyond Sudoku - The Ultimate Cross Sums Challenge
Kakuro 2: Beyond Sudoku - The Ultimate Cross Sums Challenge
by Dan Lindop

1.0 out of 5 stars puzzles aren't solvable, 24 Aug. 2012
This book is a waste of money. I'm very experienced with solving Kakuro - so this is not an issue of reader competence. This is an issue of the puzzles not being properly constructed. Many have no solution or have multiple solutions; either way you won't get the satisfaction of completing a Kakuro. If I could remember where I'd wasted my money on this, I'd take it back for a refund.

What bothers me most isn't that the writers constructed loads of duff puzzles. What bothers me is that they and the editor clearly didn't even bother doing their own puzzle book, or they'd have realised there were serious problems.

This is a book that treats the purchaser with contempt.

Persuasion and Influence For D (For Dummies)
Persuasion and Influence For D (For Dummies)
by Elizabeth Kuhnke

5.0 out of 5 stars loads of useful information in here, 19 Jan. 2012
When Kuhnke was writing this book, a mutual acquaintance suggested she phone me to pick my brains (BTW, Elizabeth Kuhnke and I have never met and I think we've only spoken the once, so it's not as if I'm praising my best childhood friend here). We talked about various aspects of influence and persuasion. But I was amazed to see how much powerful material Kuhnke has managed to squeeze into one easy-to-read book. She has taken hold of a massive topic, wrung the essentials out of it, and put these gems into an easy to read format. Definitely a winner.

I deliver keynotes and training on influence skills, so I'm pretty clued up on the topic. Yet as I read, I still found myself highlighting bits, making notes in the margins, and otherwise discovering all sorts of interesting new things that I'm putting to use. It's a worthwhile investment in time and money, and you'll enjoy reading it.

Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces that Shape Our Decisions
Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces that Shape Our Decisions
by Dan Ariely

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 16 Oct. 2010
Fabulous book! Charmingly designed experiments, easy to follow text. I'd prefer a bit more of the statistical analysis and information on related research - but that may be just me. Looking forward to Ariely or others expanding the experiments to larger and more varied cohorts, across different cultures.

47 Moments of Inspiration
47 Moments of Inspiration
by Haider Imam

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius content, genius writing style, 22 May 2010
Haider Imam consistently presents fresh, useful content, based on solid research. His writing style is a joy - fun and funny and surprising and lively. Buy the book, implement a tip a week and enjoy the rewards.

Learning in Groups: A Handbook for Face-to-face and Online Environments
Learning in Groups: A Handbook for Face-to-face and Online Environments
by David Jaques

5.0 out of 5 stars juicy research, 14 Nov. 2008
I've been facilitating groups since 1988. This book consolidates what's taken me 20 years to learn, and taught me plenty more besides. It's organised and written in a way that's easy to follow, without every patronising the reader. In particular, the research shines out. The authors don't just make statements of opinion, they back up concepts with plenty of solid research. The research doesn't weigh the book down or get in the way of the flow - it anchors it to reality. The most clear and comprehensive you're likely to find on the subject - an excellent investment.