Profile for Mrs. T. M. Hart > Reviews

Content by Mrs. T. M. Hart

Mrs. T. M. Hart "Daisybert"

Page: 1 | 2
Whom the Gods Would Destroy
Whom the Gods Would Destroy

5.0 out of 5 stars Whom the Gods Would Destroy by Richard Powell, 30 Nov. 2012
This is a superb book! I first read it 30 years ago and when reminded of it recently, was disappointed to discover it was out of print so hard copies are very expensive. I was delighted to learn I could buy it for my Kindle and have enjoyed re reading it as much as I did the first time.
It is a tale of the ancient Trojan Wars and is the autobiography of a lowly Trojan boy who nevertheless thinks he might be a son of King Priam (who had an awful lot of sons). His life is packed with adventure first in Troy, then in the Greek camp, then back in Troy again though not exclusively. It is well written and sympathetically told and I would heartily recommend it to anyone who likes a good read.

The Invisible Ones
The Invisible Ones
by Stef Penney

5.0 out of 5 stars The Invisible Ones, 29 July 2012
This review is from: The Invisible Ones (Paperback)
A really interesting and gripping story. It's nothing like The Tenderness of Wolves except it's equally well written. Characters are varied and believable and I felt learnt quite a lot about Romany communities and traditions. I enjoyed it so much that I've passed it on to all the readers in my family.

The Works
The Works

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiers & Boden - The Works, 18 May 2012
This review is from: The Works (MP3 Download)
We saw Spiers and Boden perform in Sheffield Cathedral. They were fantastic - brilliant music and singing and entertaining as well. I looked at all their albums to find the one which had most of the songs and tunes they performed that night and came up with this one. I am not disappointed! They are skilled musicians and sing very well. Buy it!

Prokofiev: Peter and the Wolf [Dame Edna Everage] [Naxos Children's Classics]
Prokofiev: Peter and the Wolf [Dame Edna Everage] [Naxos Children's Classics]

5.0 out of 5 stars Peter and the Wolf - Dame Edna Everage, 10 Oct. 2011
I wanted this for my gransdon's birthday but was rather nervous about Dame Edna as narrator. I listened to it before sending it and was reassured - it's fine. She adds some of her own inimical comments but they are low key and it makes good listening. The music and the story are, as always, teriffic!

The Pirates Of Puirt
The Pirates Of Puirt
Offered by 5records

5.0 out of 5 stars The Pirates of Puirt, 10 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Pirates Of Puirt (Audio CD)
I heard Daimh at the Southall Folk Festival last year and was really impressed. They've made a number of CD's and this is one of their earlier ones - maybe the first and it's great music! I'm sure I'll be saving up for the others!

By Land and Sea
By Land and Sea

5.0 out of 5 stars By Land and Sea, 10 Oct. 2011
This review is from: By Land and Sea (Audio CD)
The album arrived promptly. I've only listened to it once so far but am very pleased with it. I heard Tom McConville at the Southall Folk Festival last year and have been meaning to look up his music ever since!

Wildlife of Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda (Traveller's Guide)
Wildlife of Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda (Traveller's Guide)
by David Hosking

4.0 out of 5 stars Traveller's Guide - Wildlife of Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda, 19 July 2011
A really useful book. A good size to keep in outside pocket of a daysack for quick reference. Enough info about each animal/bird to provide pretty positive ID (not always easy with birds) but not too much to bog you down. Mostly excellent photos to aid ID and just make good reading. We were slightly disappointed that we saw a number of birds that we could not find in the book - but then a definitive bird book of East Africa is about twice as thick and only contains birds. Also, not enough on common flowers, hence only 4 stars. However, on balance we were delighted to have it with us and several other people were envious and borrowed it!

Lonely Planet Swahili Phrasebook (Lonely Planet Phrasebook)
Lonely Planet Swahili Phrasebook (Lonely Planet Phrasebook)
by Martin Benjamin

5.0 out of 5 stars Swahili - Lonely Planet Phrasebook, 19 July 2011
A great little book. Fitted easily into the side pocket of a rucksack (or handbag). Vital poiltenesses inside front cover made for quick and easy reference. Well set out with a wealth of info and detail that I wasn't in East africa long enough to get to grips with. We enjoyed speaking a few simple words and phrases and received a lot of appreciative smiles from Africans at the effort we made to speak a little of their language. All in all, I was very pleased that I took this little book along with me.

Matthew Flinders' Cat
Matthew Flinders' Cat
by Bryce Courtenay

4.0 out of 5 stars Matthew Flinders' Cat by Bryce Courtenay, 27 April 2011
This review is from: Matthew Flinders' Cat (Paperback)
An interesting book about two people with uncomfortable lifestyles; a down and out (derro), alcoholic ex barrister and a boy from a deprived background. The book follows the barrister's struggle to get himself back on track in order to help the boy, using the traditional tale of the sea captain, Matthew Flinders' cat as a vehicle.
The novel takes place in Australia, mostly Sydney and gives an interesting insight into the alcoholism detox process as well as an introduction to Australian slang!
Worth reading.

Trim
Trim
by Matthew Flinders

5.0 out of 5 stars Trim by Matthew Flinders, 27 April 2011
This review is from: Trim (Hardcover)
An interesting book that will take you about 30 minutes to read! Although written several hundred years ago, it is very readable and shows delightfully that a tough sea captain can be completely soppy over a cat!
Our book club was reading "Matthew Flinders Cat" by Bryce Courtenay and "Trim" gave me an insight into the theme that weaves the plot of this novel together.

Page: 1 | 2