Profile for Jean La Ranthon > Reviews

Content by Jean La Ranthon

Jean La Ranthon (Buckinghamshire, UK)

Prokofiev: Romeo & Juliet
Prokofiev: Romeo & Juliet

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 6 Aug. 2011
I love this! I bought this to replace a version I had on LP as a child. Dance of the Knights was featured on a TV ad and I raved about it so much my Mum phoned the company who's ad it was to find out what the music was bless her. After 27 years this still sounds amazing to me. Dance of the Knights is still my favourite but the whole recording is terrific. You don't need to be an aficionado of classical music to appreciate this great composition.

Zodiac 3.0 Litre Stainless Steel Air Pot
Zodiac 3.0 Litre Stainless Steel Air Pot
Offered by Elex

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful Piece of Kit!, 21 Nov. 2010
I recently bought 2 of these for a big afternoon tea party. We had 40 or so guests and I wasn't keen on the idea of making countless cups of tea and coffee instead of chatting and mingling with guests, so I thought I'd give these a try.

I was surprised, first of all, that they weren't massively expensive, so that was a bonus! They worked very well for the party keeping hot drinks HOT for the duration and everyone happily helped themselves by pressing the pump tops to pour their drinks.

So, I'm well pleased. I'm sure they will have many more uses for gatherings, parties and picnics. Someone wrote in a previous review that swooshing hot water around them first to warm them up before putting the tea/coffee in helped keep the contents hotter for longer and we found this to be an excellent tip!

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2 - Unabridged 8 Audio CD Set - Adult Edition)
by J.K. Rowling
Edition: Audio CD

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertainment 5, Practicality 0, 4 Oct. 2008
There is no doubt that Stephen Fry is entirely the MOST suitable person for the job of reading ANY story for an audio book. His voice is perfectly suited to story telling and he is able to define and animate the characters in his own colourful way. It's a good audio book and this is very much attributed to the talented Mr Fry.

I am disappointed however, that the indexing for the CDs are in such a pickle! Whilst I understand that copying CDs and music is frowned upon, is it not feasible that a person can listen to this audio book on their MP3 player? Attempting to transfer this into a more mobile format is something of a mission. The CDs chapters and files are not labelled properly, so if you want to put this into MP3 format you will find you have a jumbled mess! This audio book was bought to provide some entertainment on a long plane journey. Sorting it into order has taken almost as long as the trip itself! If you want to listen to this on your ipod - GOOD LUCK!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 20, 2009 4:35 AM BST

The Squid And The Whale [DVD] [2006]
The Squid And The Whale [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Jeff Daniels
Offered by Discs4all

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Light Entertainment, 1 Feb. 2008
I found this film quite deep and at points, quite uncomfortable watching. I felt it painted a real picture of what the two boys went through during their parents divorce from their own perspective more than focusing on the parent's own issues with one another. Both boys seem seriously affected by their parents separation and living different lives in different homes. You really feel for them as they go through the pains of finding out for themselves what to believe in and how to deal with their situation and get some perspective despite their opinionated, narrow minded Father. A good, interesting film. Very different and not what you'd call light entertainment.

The Last Holiday [DVD]
The Last Holiday [DVD]
Dvd ~ Queen Latifah
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel Good Factor 10, 14 Aug. 2007
This review is from: The Last Holiday [DVD] (DVD)
I really enjoyed this film when I saw it as an inflight movie and had to buy it when it was on DVD release. It's an amusing story of an ordinary woman with an ordinary life who ends up doing some extraordinary things when she gets some life changing news. I thought Queen Latifa was well suited to the role as the heroine in the film and down to earth and amusing. It's a simple but effective plot that leaves you with a rosy glow at the end. Essentially, it's a chick flick but there's nothing wrong with that!