Profile for rose_ginger > Reviews

THE MERLIN CONSPIRACY
THE MERLIN CONSPIRACY
by Diana Wynne Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars What happened?, 5 April 2012
This review is from: THE MERLIN CONSPIRACY (Paperback)
I'm a big fan of Diana Wynne Jones, so I'm maybe being a little tough on this review because I have high expectations.

I grew up reading the Chrestomanci books, and now I have boys of my own, I was really keen for them to read her books, and I got this one for them after the aforementioned series.

The plot of the book is fine, a good fantasy romp (although I agree with the reviewer who said it seemed to stop rather suddenly), but the characterisations are awful! The plot centres around three children, and is voiced by a boy called Nick and a girl called Ariadne (although she prefers to be called a boy's name- "Roddy".

The surrounding cast are made up of divorced couples and single mums. In each of the divorced couples, the woman is absolutely horrific/evil/mad, and the men are noble and long suffering. "Roddy" voices multiple times that she doesn't understand how "insert any male character's name" could have possibly ended up with nasty "insert female characters name". The male characters are completely faultless, so much so that the one who abandoned his son, only did so because the mother was so unbearable.

Now don't get me wrong, I like a truly wicked, deliciously over the top villain, whoever they are, but when the same pattern was repeated over again and again as each new character was introduced, I started to get really uncomfortable.

There certainly seems to be a lot of vitriol in this book, and I actually think that this would be quite a toxic book for children of separated parents, as it re-iterates multiple times that divorce happens because one person is "bad". I know DWJ had 3 sons, I wonder if one was going through a particularly acrimonious divorce at the time of writing!

When I finished the book, it left a really nasty taste in my mouth, and I wouldn't recommend it because of the unpleasant messages it contains.

Dark Entries (Graphic Novel)
Dark Entries (Graphic Novel)
by Ian Rankin

2.0 out of 5 stars nothing special, 7 Mar. 2012
A well known author does Constantine? Excellent, I thought. Sadly, this graphic novel feels really dated, and reads like something from the late 80's/ early nineties. I couldn't believe it was done in 2009.

The plot is an interesting premise, even if the "twist" is not exactly a surprise. The book is full of tropes, particularly the female characters. There is a "hard nosed career girl" who gets taken down a peg or two by getting told to make cups of tea(!), and that the only thing she is good for is providing "pleasure", and of course there is a love interest/ damsel in distress, who gets treated a bit nicer cos she gets in on with the hero.

I don't mind the hard drawing style which some reviewers don't like, however the artist doesn't know his basic anatomy, which is crucial if you're going to be drawing gruesome scenes (note to artist, tongues are attached to the lower jaw, not the upper) and there are lots of close up frames of portions of the ladies, which again, feels unnecessary and dated.

It's worth a read if you can borrow it, but not really one to add to the collection.

VTech Sing and Soothe Mobile
VTech Sing and Soothe Mobile

2.0 out of 5 stars be aware- no silent mode, 28 Dec. 2011
This review is from: VTech Sing and Soothe Mobile (Toy)
Generally a good mobile, but my biggest gripe is that you cannot have the lights and mobile without the sound. So if the baby is up in the middle of the night and you want to put the lights on, you have the nice lady singing at you too. Also, we like to have our own choice of music playing, but again, if the mobile is on we can't do this.

Should be able to turn the volume down further- sort it out VTech!

Dune Women's Hence Heel Taupe S11L/Su33/Coh0024 6 UK
Dune Women's Hence Heel Taupe S11L/Su33/Coh0024 6 UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely shoe- snug on the toe, 10 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Dune Women's Hence Heel (Shoes)
I ordered these in the taupe, I am a small 6, with fairly narrow feet, but I found these a bit tight and uncomfortable on the toe. Not for you if you have broad feet!

Dune Women's Origami Ankle Strap Heel 94 Champagne S11L/Su94/Coo0027 6 UK
Dune Women's Origami Ankle Strap Heel 94 Champagne S11L/Su94/Coo0027 6 UK

3.0 out of 5 stars fab shoes- but too high for me, 10 Nov. 2011
I ordered these in the champagne. They look stunning in person, but the heel was just too high for me. If you are used to these mega heels which have become popular the last couple of years, then I'm sure it would be fine. Definitely more of a going to dinner rather than going dancing all night shoe!

Rasfox Signature Genuine Leather Cover Case, Reading Light and Screen Protector For Amazon kindle 3 and new kindle keybaord -- Black

2.0 out of 5 stars case is ok, light better for a paper book, 10 Nov. 2011
The leather case was ok, a good fit for the kindle, and cheap for a leather case. The light it comes with is really made for reading a book, rather than using a kindle. The metal clip sticks up a bit when you attach it to the case, so it scratched the back of my kindle which I was a bit annoyed about. I would only buy this if you want a cheap black leather case, then look elsewhere for a light

Lotus Women's Gemima Pink Print Slingback Heel 5160 6 Uk
Lotus Women's Gemima Pink Print Slingback Heel 5160 6 Uk
Offered by Alna Vi Shoes

5.0 out of 5 stars unusual and glam mermaid shoes, 10 Nov. 2011
I really liked these shoes. They are a good height without being ridiculous like a lot of heels these days. Comfy too. I ordered in the pink, and got lots of comments when wearing them

Killah Women's Twiddle  Jeans Light Blue Denim 28W
Killah Women's Twiddle Jeans Light Blue Denim 28W

3.0 out of 5 stars snug hips, 10 Nov. 2011
Nice jeans, but the 28 was a very slim 28- too small for me so they went back sadly. Not sure if this is typical for killah as I haven't bought the brand before

Baby Phat Fashion Denim Pin Tuck Slim And Skinny Women's Jeans Black Medium
Baby Phat Fashion Denim Pin Tuck Slim And Skinny Women's Jeans Black Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars fab jeans, 10 Nov. 2011
I love these jeans! I am a size 10, and the medium fit perfectly. Great length, slightly cropped, so good to wear with knee high boots without having to fold the ends up if you are average height like me. Nice and skinny, but proper jean material, rather than thin jegging.

Rockport Women's Finna Fur Lace Up Black Waterproof Boot K58737 5 UK
Rockport Women's Finna Fur Lace Up Black Waterproof Boot K58737 5 UK

3.0 out of 5 stars well made, but not for me, 10 Nov. 2011
I really wanted to like these boots. I have several pairs of Rockport shoes/ boots. They are very well made, typical of rockport, but when i tried them on, my heel was lifting out of the foot. It seemed because the foot was lined with a silky material. Other reviewers don't seem to have this problem, so maybe it was my narrow feet!

Page: 1 | 2