Profile for Charly Dunning > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
The Invisible Man
The Invisible Man

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable., 3 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The Invisible Man (Kindle Edition)
The Invisible Man is the fascinating tale of a scientist named Griffin, who creates a serum which renders him invisible. At first he thinks himself a genius, then when going about the town he realises the many problems which come with being invisible. So he heads to the Coach and Horses Inn in Iping to figure out the cure.

At first the book is simply a string of events, and personally I found it very boring. But once the Invisible Man finds himself in Dr. Kemp's home, I was hooked. It was full of suspense and mystery. I was quite sad when the book ended like it did, but if I think about it realistically it couldn't have ended any other way.

If you do decide to read the book, struggle through the beginning chapters. You'll be glad you did.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2015 12:22 PM GMT

The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events book 3)
The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars A Worthy Addition to the Series, 3 Mar. 2011
You'd think that by now the Bauderlaire orphans might finally get rid of evil Count Olaf. But as this is a 'series of unfortunate events' so you'd be totally wrong. Count Olaf returns with a even more convincing disguise this time, making it even harder for Violet, Klaus and Sunny to expose his true identity. And with their new guardian suddenly missing, the Bauderlaires find themselves in a tighter fix than ever.

This next installment in the series is nothing short of unfortunate, and as usual just as things look up for the Bauderlaires, everything comes crashing down.

Not as good as the previous book (The Reptile Room)in my opinion but still a good addition to the series and I'm still as anxious as ever to find out what happens next.

The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events No. 2)
The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events No. 2)
by Lemony Snicket

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Never, under any circumstances, let the Virginia Wolfsnake near a typewriter.', 2 Mar. 2011
After being taken away from the wrath of the evil Count Olaf, the Bauderlaire children find themselves under the guardianship of Dr. Montgomery Montgomery, their late father's cousin's wife's brother. Uncle Monty (as he is now known to the children) is much, much friendlier than their previous guardian Count Olaf, he gives them free reign of the house, and soon tells them they are all to embark on a trip to Peru. Suddenly everything looks up for the Bauderlaire orphans, but is it all to good to be true?

The book is a very good sequel, and Mr. Snicket manages to keep both the plot and characters interesting. This is definitely my favourite book of the series so far. The writing style of the book is still wonderful, with my favourite aspects of the book not actually relating to the movement of the plot but rather his explanation of words. An example being:
'hackneyed phrase "meanwhile, back at the ranch." The word "hackneyed" here means "used by so, so many writers that by the time Lemony Snicket uses it, it is a tiresome cliché."'

Definitely a good way to pass an hour or two, especially if you loved the first book in the series. (The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events No.1))

The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events No.1)
The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events No.1)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bad Beginning - He Wasn't Kidding!, 1 Mar. 2011
I've read countless numbers of cheery and happy children books. Occasionally they include a small tragedy in the story, such as the child having to deal with losing it's dog. This book is completely different and unique. The book is all tragedy and sadness, and the moment anything starts to look up for the poor Baudelaire orphans everything comes crashing down and turns out more tragic.

'The Bad Beginning' is the first book in a series of 13, telling the very sad but true story of three children, Voilet (the inventor), Klaus (the bookworm) and Sunny (the biter) Bauderlaire. After their parents die in a tragic fire at their mansion home while they are at the beach, they are whisked away to a distant relative whom they have never met. Will Count Olaf be the perfect guardian, or will he spell disaster for the Bauderlaires once again?

Lemony Snicket's writing style is brilliant. I love how he does a story within a story. (He speaks of the Bauderlaires tragic events as true happenings and views it as his moral duty to tell the world this heartbreaking story) I think it is brilliant that he explains the meaning of certain words an example being: 'The money is an incentive-the word "incentive" here means "an offered reward to persuade you to do something you don't want to do-to read long, dull, and difficult books.' as many children are put off books because they simply can't understand the long words the author is using.

Overall a brilliant book and real winner for young children and even older teenagers like myself.

Three Men in a Boat, to Say Nothing of the Dog! (Penguin Essentials)
Three Men in a Boat, to Say Nothing of the Dog! (Penguin Essentials)
by Jerome K. Jerome

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Hilarious, 1 Mar. 2011
After seeing (and loving) the Three Men in a Boat television series, I was given this book as a gift. A year and a half later I finally decided to pick it up and read it. Thank heavens I did.

This brilliant novel is a story of three men and a dog, who go on a hilarious trip up the Thames. During their journey they have many mishaps, including falling into the river and getting lost in the Hampton Court Maze.

I never expected this book to be funny. Personally I expected it to be incredibly boring. But boy was I wrong. This is the first book this year I have read that has made me laugh out loud, I even had dreams of the various incidents in the book and woke myself up giggling.

A definite must read, especially for those who need a good laugh!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2011 11:32 AM BST

Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog
Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog
by John Grogan

5.0 out of 5 stars The True Story About Marley the Mambo Dog, 7 Feb. 2011
Marley and Me which is written by John Grogan has been an international best seller, selling over four million copies worldwide. So after seeing all success I thought I would see what all the hullabaloo was about.

Marley and Me is a true story about a man and his dog. The books tarts off with John giving us a brief background of Jenny (his wife) and himself, it also goes onto explain the reason for getting a puppy, the reason being 'kill a plant, buy a puppy' which is simple logic. Jenny feels she will be unable to mother a child and so she decides a dog would be good practice. John picks up Marley from the breeders three weeks after they chose him, and he is quite surprised to see that he has doubled in size.

Unfortunately, they discover that their mombo dog Marley, is very naughty. For instance, for Jenny;s birthday John bought her a eighteen-carat gold necklace, Jenny immediately put it on but a few hours later she touched her neck and found that the necklace was no longer there! John and herself started searching the house, while doing so John noticed that Marley was acting more rambunctious than usual so he stopped and watched Marley. '"Oh no, I thought - the Marley mambo. It could only mean one thing." "What's that," Jenny asked "hanging out of his mouth?" It was think and delicate. And gold!"' They both moved very slowly towards him, they got him cornered and just before they pounded Marley threw his head back and swallowed.

I absolutely loved reading Marley and Me, finding that some days that I couldn't put the book down. I loved the way John made the reader feel that him or her was actually in the room witnessing the events that occurred. When I reached the section about Marley's death, I cried myself to sleep. Overall I thought this book was marvellous and a definite must read. I would recommend this book to absolutely anyone, except the really cold hearted.

Fantastic Mr Fox [DVD] [2009]
Fantastic Mr Fox [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ George Clooney
Offered by Assai-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Pure Wild Animal Craziness', 6 Feb. 2011
I've been wondering when they would finally make a film out of Roald Dahl's classic book, Fantastic Mr Fox. Now we finally have the film and let me tell you, it was worth the wait.

Many do not realise that the film is made using stop motion (just like they make 'Wallace and Gromit', 'Creature Comforts' etc.) which actually proves how well they've done it. Stop Motion is an incredibly long process, it takes the animators about a day just to do 3 seconds of film. This shows how dedicated Wes Anderson (Director, Co-Writer, Producer) was on making this film. He could have easily done the film in computer animation, which for me anyway, would have taken away some, if not all, of the 'magic' that this film consists of. Not only is the animation brilliant, but the cast is absolutely perfect, even though it is a bit odd that American actors are playing the characters of a quintessentially English film.

Because they took away a lot of blue and green from the look of the film, it gives it a very warm and comforting feeling which is incredibly inviting.

Unlike a few of Roald Dahl film adaptations, they have managed to keep the quick wit and humour which is ever so present in the book, making it more appealing to adults than other animated films we have seen over the years.

The film isn't completely true to the book, as it is an adaptation, but as my Mother wisely put, the story 'keeps you on the edge of your seat'.

It may not appeal to all, but for those adore the book, quirky humour,stop motion animation and as Mr. Fox said himself 'pure wild animal craziness', this film will be a forever family classic. And the best part is that the DVD comes with a digital copy for your mp3 player, so you can share the experience on the go.

No One's Gonna Sleep Tonight
No One's Gonna Sleep Tonight

5.0 out of 5 stars 'If I could make a moment last forever, this would be the one I choose', 5 Feb. 2011
We've all had one of those moments that we've wished never ended. 'No one's gonna sleep tonight' captures those feelings and incorporates them into a up-tempo, radio friendly pop hit. The song includes lyrics such as:

'If I could make a moment last forever,
This would be the one I choose,
You and me here together,
Feels so right,
Feels so true'

'From the start,
I knew that we'd be here dancing in the dark,
Feel the spar, you can sign your name right across my hear,
It's so good, I just want you to stay'

I'm A Believer
I'm A Believer

5.0 out of 5 stars Then I saw her face... now I'm a believer!, 5 Feb. 2011
This review is from: I'm A Believer (MP3 Download)
'I'm a Believer' hit the number one spot in the US on December 31, 1966, where it remained for 7 weeks, becoming the biggest selling record of all time for 1967, and one of the biggest of all time. It is one of the few singles to have sold over 10 million copies worldwide! The song is upbeat, catchy, incredibly radio friendly, and one of the only songs that everyone knows. And therefore it should be in music collections throughout the world.

Another World
Another World

4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe that's another world..., 5 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Another World (MP3 Download)
Another worthy edition to their 2009 album, is Another World. The song is sung by lead vocalists Mark and Shane. As with the rest of the bands songs, the song is easy to relate to. The song is catchy, and definitely radio friendly. Lyrics include:

'In another life,
We would fall in love, you see,
And the sun would shine,
For you and me, yeah'