Profile for Scawley > Reviews

Guernica
Guernica
by Dave Boling

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING READ!, 20 July 2011
This review is from: Guernica (Paperback)
I was unable to put this book down - from start to finish. I loved the way Boling created such a heart warming picture of the families and individuals whose lifes are later torn apart. You get a real sense of Basque life and culture and of the strength and tenacity of the Basque people. Boling ties fact with fiction in a book that I cannot recommend highly enough - it made me laugh and cry in abundance - fantastic!

Brixton Beach
Brixton Beach
by Roma Tearne

4.0 out of 5 stars BEAUTIFUL READ, 1 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Brixton Beach (Paperback)
Wasn't sure what to expect, just picked it up as wanted a 'summer read'. I am not one for romance per se but I would say that the little bit of romance that runs through this novel hits the spot. Tearne has a magical way with words...utterly mesmerising...I was transported at times and got lost in the moment of the story...so much so that I shed many a tear sometimes not when at all expected. There is nothing like a good story well written and Tearne does this in abundance. Whilst the action centres around the main protaganist Alice, who is completely authentic and entrancing, the other characters in the book bring a richness and believability to the story which enrich the reader's experience. You know the writer has succeeded in creating real and true characters when you want to know these people...I really would like a Grandpa like Alice's! I would highly recommend this book for readers that wish to be transported into another world...fantastic!