Profile for David Jones > Reviews

Content by David Jones

David Jones (Douglas, Isle of Man Great Britain)

Page: 1 | 2
Devolo dLAN 650 Triple+ Add-On Powerline Adapter (3 GB LAN Ports, Pass Through, 600 Mbps)

5.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for..., 6 Sept. 2014
Fast, consistent data transfer rates. The management software also works, making it easy to set up the network, change passwords and turn the indicator lights off if they are annoying or not required. Three Ethernet ports simplify the installation for a typical multimedia setup too. It is a touch on the expensive side compared to one competitor I can think of, so 5 stars for performance, 4 for value.

Enfield Garage Door Bolts
Enfield Garage Door Bolts
Offered by Security Hardware Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, 6 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Enfield Garage Door Bolts
Excellent value for money to provide a basic level of security.

Winter's Bone
Winter's Bone

4.0 out of 5 stars Watched the film, read the book - brilliant, 13 April 2014
This review is from: Winter's Bone (Kindle Edition)
A very readable if dark novel. I found it a very moving insight into part of America I knew very little about, although I have seen some of the poverty that exists in the USA. Read the book or watch the film first? I don't think it really matters but I for one was relieved that the book narrative was toned down a bit for the screen-play. Anyway, the book stands on its own merits and is an absolute bargain as a Kindle edition.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A user-friendly NAS, 10 Dec. 2013
I paid a bit more for this NAS than I was planning to but so far I have been very happy with the Asustor.

My previous NAS experience has been with a Mk 1 ReadyNAS Duo and the software has moved on a lot in the interim.

Initial setup was about as easy as it can be for a NAS. The App approach to functionality means you can have as little or as much complexity as you need. The default apps are straightforward and predictable to use. The Asustor website has plenty of helpful information and it is clear that Asus has worked hard to make this device usable - and they have succeeded in my opinion.

The iTunes Server could be a little more informative but it does what it is supposed to do apart from letting me connect to Airplay. Sonos was easy to link to the music library and the response after selecting a track or album is virtually instantaneous.

Performance-wise, everything appears fine and the Performance Monitor shows plenty of spare processor and RAM capacity, something which I was prepared to pay out for after my experiences with my (admittedly much older) ReadyNAS Duo.

I have yet to try the the HDMI output; while this is of some interest my main reason for buying the TE model was to get the extra RAM.

Overall I am very pleased with my purchase.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 29, 2014 3:45 PM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of Tenn - Bargain!, 30 Sept. 2012
When I returned to cycling just over 2 years ago I did not want to spend a fortune incase my enthusiasm did not last. Tenn shorts and jerseys seemed to fit the bill and everything I bought was decent value for money. I have since moved up-market for shorts and most jerseys - but not for a winter-weight long-sleeved jersey as this remains my favourite. It has been in fairly regular use over the last 18 months and is standing up well to the wear and tear of long rides in indifferent weather.

As mentioned elsewhere the Medium is bit larger than then their other Medium jerseys but for me this is appropriate where it has to go over other clothing and pockets stuffed with the essentials for winter riding. In short this is a serious bargain that is not going to be consigned to the spares drawer as your ride distances increase.

Aerial
Aerial

5.0 out of 5 stars Contemplative Genius, 29 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Aerial (Audio CD)
Five years on (it is hard to believe it is a full 5 years) I find I enjoy this album more than ever. It is work of mature, contemplative genius. Provided I skip Bertie (oops) it is always an emotional listen. A peculiarly British masterpiece. Perhaps I have grown into it.

XO Premium Install 3m Optical TOSLINK Digital Audio SPDIF Cable - Black. Compatible with PS4/PS3, Xbox One, Wii, Sky Q, Sky HD, HD TVs, DVD, Blu-Rays, AV Amp.
Offered by HDCentral

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job!, 12 Oct. 2010
Does the job at a decent price and is nicely finished. Fits standard optical cable apertures where the actual connector is recessed.

Tenn-Outdoors Men's 8 Panel Professional Moulded Pad Cycling Shorts - Black/Orange fluo, Waist 34-36" - Large
Offered by Krish Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 4 Oct. 2010
I have bought 3 pairs of these now to support an increasingly intensive return to road cycling. Medium was a bit small for my 34" frame so if, like me, you have put on a bit of weight be honest about it. (The same does not apply to the jerseys - Medium is fine for my 5'-11" frame.

With the correct fit these are comfortable and, so far, very serviceable. If you don't want to pay for the privilege of carrying advertising logos around I'm not sure what more you could want if you are happy with synthetic inserts. In other words - a strong recommendation.

The Beatles (2009 Digital Remaster - USB Version)
The Beatles (2009 Digital Remaster - USB Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it gets..., 4 Oct. 2010
I first listened to some of these albums on my little Bush record player in mono when they came out in the 60s. The move to CD was a bit disappointing and it is generally agreed that those transfers were not as good as they could be. Finally, over 40 years later I can hear these tracks as the recording engineers meant them to be heard. There is a superb article in the Sound on Sound archives (use Google) about how these transfers were done and it was a true labour of love.

For any Beatles - or 60s music - fan who appreciates pristine quality and has a replay system to do justice to the 24-bit FLAC files I would have thought this collection is just about essential.

Treat the little USB stick with reverence (it is tightly packed into the foam so don't pull it out by the stalk), back everything up onto hard-disk then just get on with enjoying the music. 5 stars for everything - presentation, extra videos, but above all the music.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 18, 2011 6:59 PM BST

Join The Dots - The B-Sides & Rarities
Join The Dots - The B-Sides & Rarities

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dots are Joined, 8 Aug. 2009
I'm biased as a Cure fan for over 20 years. This was bought to complete my collection; I expected interesting but this was far better. The notes are informative and authentic. The tracks are not just of historic interest but in many cases are easily as good as the album tracks from the same period - it was just that they did not "fit" on the album. Shock, horror - R Smith's sensitive side is revealed as well! This is a rarities collection where I can actually enjoy whole CDs - brilliant.

Page: 1 | 2