Profile for axs-birmingham > Reviews

Content by axs-birmingham

axs-birmingham (Birmingham, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
2x BPS NP-45 Li-ion Battery for Fuji FinePix XP80,Z1010EXR,Z950EXR,JZ500 Digital Camera,Fujifilm BC-45 BC-45A BC-45W Battery Charger,replace Fuji Battery NP-45A,NP-45B,NP-45S
Offered by BestDeal-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 27 Jun. 2016
The batteries work in our Fujifilm camera but it's too early to say how long they will continue to perform well, and hold their charge.

Garmin Forerunner 25 GPS Running Watch - Large, Black/Red
Garmin Forerunner 25 GPS Running Watch - Large, Black/Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Much appreciated by the orienteer in the family, 27 Jun. 2016
I bought this for my wife who is an orienteer. It's a bit fiddly to use, and it sometimes takes a bit of time to make a GPS connection, but it generally works exactly as expected and links up with Garmin online software via a PC usb connection to upload walk or race records.
From the Garmin web site the recorded performance can be downloaded for use with Routegadget after orienteering events. When GPS is off this works well as a digital watch with time and date shown. Needs to be recharged frequently for use as a GPS device, but as a watch, with GPS turned off, it seems to run for at least a week (we have not checked how long it will last). There is lots of online information about the watch including videos, reviews, and Garmin instructions.

SUMVISION UNIVERSAL BLACK KEYBOARD LEATHER CASE FOR 7" TABLETS PC WITH MICRO USB CONNECTION
Offered by Lemonia UK

5.0 out of 5 stars So far very pleased -- using this for email etc. on a 5 inch Moto-G Android Smartphone., 27 Jun. 2016
I bought this to use with a 5" Smartphone (Moto G running Android) for use with JuiceSSH App to log in to a remote linux system while travelling. Using the App on its own was very uncomfortable partly because the Android keyboard uses so much screen space and partly because typing on a virtual keyboard is so slow. A physical (micro-usb) keyboard is immediately recognized by android and can be used with JuiceSSH for typing to the remote computer. In that context it works as well I expected, though I can't type as fast as on a full size keyboard. I expect speed will increase with practice, at conferences, etc.

My phone is much smaller than the devices the SumVision was intended for, so the phone cannot be held securely in place by the clips while it is carried around. But for typing on a table, or (less comfortably) on my lap, the phone rests perfectly on the two horizontal clips, and the micro-usb plug works as expected. It can also be held in place by a large rubber band, but that obviously covers a thin strip of the screen.

Anyhow this will be far more comfortable for reading and sending email remotely and I could also try using the keyboard for taking notes at meetings, or writing draft papers while travelling, though I have not yet looked at available apps for such purposes (suggestions welcome!).

So far I have had the Sumvision for only a few hours, so I don't know how robust it is, whether the stitching will come undone with time, whether some of the keys will stick etc. But first impressions are very good especially at this price -- under £10 including two day delivery to a local Amazon pickup box (From Lemonia UK). Moreover, as far as I can see there is very little battery drain when the keyboard is connected. (I don't know whether a bluetooth keyboard would use more or less power).

[Top Rated Car Charger] RAVPower Dual USB Car Adapter (4.8A / 24W, iSmart Charging, Built-in Safety Protection) for iPhone 6s / 6s Plus, iPad Pro / Air 2 / Mini 4, Galaxy S7 / S6 Edge / Note 5 and More - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Two 2.4amp sockets. Tested only for a short time so far, but design seems to be very good., 21 May 2016
I have not yet tried tried this Car charger (used in cigarette lighter socket) properly, but so far it seems to be very good value, providing two 2.4 amp USB slots, which could simultaneously charge a mobile phone and a satnav device, or two phones. The two slots light up when the charger is pushed in and ignition on, which could be useful in the dark. Most USB chargers, whether for use in cars or mains power sockets seem to provide a mach smaller maximum current (longer charging time).

This review is based only on a few minutes testing with a Moto G mobile phone connected and charging. I can't say anything about reliability.

Added 22 May 2016:
When I opened the box there was a note saying that it was guaranteed for 12 months, but if I registered the device the warranty period would be doubled. I went to the ravpower web site, and registered it using the order number provided by amazon and immediately received acknowledgement that the warranty was extended to 24 months.

There's not much to go wrong in this sort of device, but that is reassuring. I thought others might find this information useful.

SanDisk Ultra Android 64 GB microSDXC Class 10 Memory Card + SD Adapter up to 80 Mbps, Frustration Free Packaging

5.0 out of 5 stars SanDisk Ultra Android 64 GB microSDXC Class 10... Works on MOTO G with Android, 21 May 2016
I have an android smart phone (MOTO G, 3rd Generation) running Android version 6 (Marshmallow?) which I bought with 1GB ram and 8GB SD. It soon became clear that videos and photos take up so much space (because it seems to be impossible to set the camera to use a lower resolution) that I risked running out of memory after a family visit. Reviews rated the SanDisk 64 GB microSDXC highly but warned that as formatted it could not be used by Android (or at least MOTO G) phones, and suggested I might have to re-format the device as Fat-32 or ext-4 in another machine. Anyhow I inserted it and started the phone and saw a warning about a new disc that was unusable. Following a tip found on the internet ([...] ) I then chose: Settings -> Storage & USB, and saw that an unusable new device had been detected. But it offered me the option to format it. So I accepted, expecting it to take several mintes. But it took only a few seconds, and after that I had 59.46 GB space available (that's not unusual on a 64GB drive; the formatting and indexing information takes up a subset of the space.) As far as I can tell the microSDXC works as it should, though I have to find out how to get some previously saved videos viewed and saved in VLC copied to the new drive.
Note, during the process of formatting I was instructed to disconnect the USB charging cable.

Integral Fusion USB 3.0 Flash Drive 64 GB - Silver
Integral Fusion USB 3.0 Flash Drive 64 GB - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied after 3 months occasional use, 17 Nov. 2015
Unbelievably small (very portable, but easy to lose?) but works well at a reasonable speed. 64GB good capacity for occasional backups to supplement backups to hard drive. Bought in August 2015, so it's too early to comment on reliability -- often an issue with flash drives. Fortunately in the past Amazon provided a very prompt, free replacement for a usb flash drive that died during its warranty period.

Whitewashed Jacarandas: Book One: The Umzimtuti Series: Volume 1
Whitewashed Jacarandas: Book One: The Umzimtuti Series: Volume 1
by Diana Polisensky

5.0 out of 5 stars A novel giving a window into a small slice of Africa and a small slice of the 20th century -- and a very good read., 17 Nov. 2015
Review of Whitewashed Jacarandas: Book One: The Umzimtuti Series: Volume 1

I don't have much time for reading novels, and did not enjoy literature or history at school (being more of a maths and science kid), so I have little basis for writing a review of a novel. But having now seen glowing reviews of the book on both amazon.co.uk and amazon.com, I thought I should say that, on the basis of no expertise, only my own enjoyment, I agree with all the praise.

I read this because my life overlapped with Diana's family's presence in our small town in Rhodesia, though I did not get to know her as I was several years older and mostly away at boarding school and university. But the book both brought back memories and taught me things I did not know about my home town and country of birth -- last visited over half a century ago.

Apart from that it was a well-written gripping story. I think future volumes should come with a glossary of non-English words used, several of which I had not encountered as a child or had forgotten, though that was not a major obstacle.

As Gerald Clarkson's comprehensive review indicates, the backdrop to the novel is the history and politics of Southern Rhodesia, some time before it became Zimbabwe. I don't know if there is any readily available readable history of that period, but if there is, for some readers it could enhance understanding of some of the background themes in the book.

My wife, whom I met in the UK and has never visited Rhodesia/Zimbabwe also found it gripping and enjoyable.

A
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2015 5:32 PM GMT

YE!! Energy Station Qi Wireless Charging Stand - Green
YE!! Energy Station Qi Wireless Charging Stand - Green

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs a flange to stop Nexus sliding down the slope when in its cover. Otherwise works well., 5 Sept. 2015
I bought one of these (at half the price) from Maplins, for use with a google Nexus 7 (2013 model), partly because I was worried that frequently connecting and disconnecting the micro-usb charger plug could eventually cause physical damage (reported by some users). A wireless charger avoids this. One reason for choosing the YE charger is that it comes with its own mains power plug (with micro-usb connector) unlike others that require you to use an existing power supply for phone or pad.

The YE works fine if the Nexus is removed from its (leather?) cover. Unfortunately, with the cover on (bought from PC World when I bought the Nexus) there are two problems.

(a) The surface of Nexus protective cover is too smooth, and the Nexus therefore slides down the sloping surface of the YE charger, and then it no longer charges. That made me wish I had bought a flat charger. I solved the sliding problem by using the cardboard lid of the box in which the YE came to make a simple platform in which the YE sits, with the end of the lid stopping the Nexus from sliding down (picture shows charger sitting in the lid). The YE really should have a projecting flange at the bottom to do this, as the (more expensive) LG sloping desktop charger does. Only 4 stars because of this sliding problem.

(b) More seriously, the Nexus cover had a thicker portion on the back -- a belt clip I think, which we never use. It stopped the nexus lying flat enough on the surface of the charger. The belt clip (leather) was stitched on so I managed to cut through the stitching and remove it, leaving a flatter surface after which charging worked perfectly with the Nexus in its case. I don't know whether other QI chargers would also have required the removal.

The charger is rated at 5Volts and 1Amp.

Some reviews have complained about the 'beep' when charging starts, but I have not found that a nuisance.
Comment Comment | Permalink

CSL - USB 3.0 SuperSpeed PCMCIA Express Card (54mm / 2 Port / Windows 7 + Windows 8 compatible) for Notebook Laptop | Internal USB 3.0 Hub
Offered by CSL-Computer

5.0 out of 5 stars Delivered very fast, and well worth the price though writing to Flash drives may disappoint, 9 Aug. 2015
So far I am very pleased with this device, though I have not done fully comprehensive or very accurate timing tests. There may be cheaper devices but not much cheaper. Moreover in this case I found the supplier very helpful (answering a question very quickly before I placed the order), and delivery was very fast: ordered on Monday, arrived on Wednesday.

The pictures and description on the Amazon page accurately represent what's delivered, including warning that speeds are highly variable and dependent on other hardware in use. Also the structure of what you transfer can make a difference - though that's true of all file transfers.

I've checked briefly that it works on Windows 7 (which I hardly ever use). I normally use linux (Fedora 22). The card was inserted on a 5 year old Dell Latitude E6410 laptop with Intel Core i5 CPU (quad core), and 4GB ram and a 1TB WD drive. (WDC WD10JPVX-22JC3T0). Different laptop hardware could produce different results.

On Windows 7, I used the driver supplied on the miniature CD that came in the box, though if you have no CD drive you should be able get drivers from the internet. (I think other reviews have given more details regarding windows drivers.)

Some reports suggest that this type of card can interfere with booting or suspend/hibernate. I have not had any problems. Both suspend and hibernate work as normal with the card in the socket in linux (and in a very brief test, also in Windows).

The card fits neatly into the PCMCIA socket, and projects about 0.5mm where the slots are, and 1mm on each side. (See the Amazon pictures.)

A push button device on one side, part of the laptop, causes the CSL card to come out far enough to be pulled right out.

As other reviewers have noted, you need to take care while removing a device plugged into the card to prevent the card being pulled out of the laptop, instead of the device being pulled out of the card.

Also if you insert a 'thick' usb stick (like the Kingston Data Traveller G4) you may find that if the CD tray is ejected it can push the usb stick out. I avoid this risk by using the socket furthest from the cd tray. This may not be a problem on other laptops.

I did a very informal and imprecise test of effect of the card on battery drain and have the impression that the card adds about 1 Watt to a 16 Watt drain, when the battery is close to full. So when using the laptop without external power for long periods it's probably worth pulling the card out far enough to disconnect it, if it is not being used.

I have tested it with several external USB storage devices, including WD and Seagate 2TB portable USB2/3 hard drives, a non-portable external drive with its own power supply, usb2 and usb3 flash drives. Everything works with the CSL card except my ten year old 60GB Freecom HD 2 Pro portable hard drive.

The Freecom drive does work with the USB2 ports on the laptop, but not the new USB3 sockets on the CSL card: the sockets don't provide sufficient power for it. The Freecom has a socket for extra power and the CSL card comes with a little cable for extra power, but the CSL cable does not match the spare power socket on the Freecom (pin in circular hole). (I seem to have lost the cable that came with the Freecom, because I have not needed it for many years: most USB2 sockets provide enough power for it nowadays.)

So the CSL card may not work for you if you have an old external drive that lacks an external power supply -- probably very rare now. If the external drive has a usb socket for extra power, then the power cable that came with the card may work (see Amazon pictures). But I have not been able to test that.

Warning: I found that after the Freecom had failed to work in a USB3 port, the USB3 ports also stopped working with the other portable hard drives, until I rebooted the laptop. I don't know whether that's a driver flaw, or a flaw in the CSL card: not re-setting itself after the Freecom was removed.

Summary: with all the external drives that worked, the new USB3 ports provide faster read and write speeds than the USB2 ports, but the actual increase varies enormously depending on the external device and whether files are being transferred from or to the device. In particular, writing to the Kingston Datatraveller G4 USB3 flash drive is very slow whether in a USB2 or USB3 socket, though its reading speed does go up significantly in the USB3 socket. See table below.

Here are some examples, using a Western Digital USB3 portable hard drive and the Kingston DT G4 flash drive, both tested reading and writing a directory tree about 8.5GB in size in both old USB2 and new USB3 ports on the same laptop. In both cases the whole directory tree is transferred between the internal and external drives so every speed measurement depends on both drives. A more sophisticated benchmark test would avoid that.

Testing external hard drive: WD 2TB USB3 portable external drive,
Old USB2 ports on laptop:
READ 23.8 MBps
WRITE 25.8 MBps
New USB3 ports on CSL card:
READ 69.6 MBps
WRITE 55 MBps
So both reading and writing speeds increase significantly using the CSL card.

Using Kingston DT G4 USB3 32GB Flash drive:
Old USB2 ports on laptop:
READ 26.5 MBps
WRITE 4.2 MBps
New USB3 ports on CSL card:
READ 61 MBps
WRITE 5.7 MBps

In part, this is (unintentionally) also a review of the Kingston DT G4, showing how poorly it performs as a USB3 drive, except for reading.

WARNING: these tests are merely crude indications, not accurate benchmarks. For lack of time I did not do several repeated tests for each case, which would probably have shown varying speeds.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 9, 2015 11:30 AM BST

Wedo 2368 Telescope Pointer - Black
Wedo 2368 Telescope Pointer - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product but indistinguishable from the large Nobo pointer, 17 Mar. 2015
I previously had the large nobo pointer, and had mislaid it, so instead of buying another I ordered this because at least one reiew said the Wedo was superior, and from the specification I thought it would be lighter. The order was delivered promptly, but was EXACTLY the same as the Nobo, so I might as well have ordered the Nobo as it was slightly cheaper. I also found that the weight given was wrong: it is closer to 150gm than 100gm as given on the web site.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4