Profile for Fedora > Reviews

Content by Fedora

Fedora

SuperEgo
SuperEgo

5.0 out of 5 stars A clever and funny novel that kept me glued to my kindle., 31 Mar. 2013
This review is from: SuperEgo (Kindle Edition)
I was surprised by how much I loved this book - I couldn't put it down and am feeling a bit lost now I have finished it!

Told through the eyes of Kate, a girl who thinks she has landed her dream job as an F1 team PR manager, this is a fast-paced and cleverly written novel. Kate is witty and smart, and after being thrown in the deep end when her immediate boss is fired in her first week on the job, soon discovers she's working for a crazy megalomaniac who has a dark past. The story follows Kate and her boss Vincent over the F1 season, and there are many insights into the F1 PR machine and the wheeling and dealing that take place in this industry. The descriptions of the nutty characters, huge egos and impossible situations Kate has to deal with made me chuckle. Superego was written by a former F1 PR, so I'm sure some of them aren't far from the truth...

F1 has never really been on my radar, and so I had my reservations about reading a car-related book. However this was a fascinating and very funny read, and actually it has made me more interested in this industry, I will look at it through eyes that have been educated a little as to what goes on behind the scenes...

There is a moral question at the centre of this book, which is tied up well and ends feeling right. Just one gripe: I want to know more about what happens to Kate next, is there going to be a follow-on? A definite 5 stars.