Profile for J. Vogel > Reviews

Futurama: Into The Wild Green Yonder [DVD]
Futurama: Into The Wild Green Yonder [DVD]
Dvd ~ Billy West
Offered by DVD Overstocks

1.0 out of 5 stars Serious Mastering Error. Get the Blu-ray if possible., 10 Mar. 2009
Note: The rating is for the quality of the disc, not its content - as it should be.

Unfortunately it seems that all PAL DVDs of this film (German, UK, etc.) are facing the same problem: The main film has been upconverted from an NTSC(!) master, resulting in a degraded sharpness and interpolation artifacts. Strange enough the bonus material is much sharper and features content coming from real PAL masters (or downsampled HD content). A friend of mine has compiled a comparison page with sample screenshots, but unfortunately due to traffic volume constraints I cannot post a link here.

This is unbelievable and unless you do not really care about image quality that much and have the choice, I urge you to get the Blu-ray disc of this film (which is flawless). Being as it is, this disc should never have left the authoring studio, let alone passed the QA testing... which probably hasn't been done anyway.

As for the content, this is one of the best of the Futurama movies. You will not be disappointed.

FREEDOM Blu-ray Disc Box (Limited Edition) [2006]
FREEDOM Blu-ray Disc Box (Limited Edition) [2006]
Dvd ~ Shuhei Morita

5.0 out of 5 stars Product Great - Content Disappointing, 4 Dec. 2008
Since this is an online store I'm not going to rate this Blu-ray disc set according to its content and story. I believe this is the wrong place to do so. So I'm just assuming you like the contents (after all you deliberately looked for this boxset) and want to have it presented to you in the highest quality possible.

Product:

The box set feels expensive just by the looks of it. It says on the box "Made in Japan" and one can tell. It's carefully sealed in a protective bag made of thick plastic foil.

The box is contained in a semi transparent slipcase featuring white vertical stripes, which give the exterior of the box a three dimensional look & feel. The thick white print on the slipcase has a tactile quality to it.

The set features a small removable cardboard band covering the lower third of the box, typical for japanese digital media releases. (Everyone who ordered a japanese audio CD knows what I'm talking about.) I think that's a nice touch. The printing quality of the cardboard box, the small bonus manga booklet and the four Blu-ray box covers is quite high and the paper of the manga is not glossy and rather thick (both meaning: does not feel cheap). The Blu-ray boxes themselves are black instead of the common semi transparent blue look.

From what I've seen the menus are designed professionally and the video and audio delivers the quality one would expect from such a production (and price... ;-)). All the problems I could notice originate from the production process of the contents rather than the authoring. (More on that below.) In that sense the Anime is presented here almost perfectly and - I believe! - as the artists intended it should look like.

Content:

Although I'm not exactly a fan of violence in movies I loved Akira for its high artistic value. When I watch Anime I expect superb animation - that's what Anime is about. Apart from a compelling story, of course.

Consequently I had high expectations in this Anime series commissioned with Katsuhiro Otomo and being the first Anime series produced in HD.

Unfortunately I'm very disappointed. Almost all characters and most of the scenery are rendered in 3D and the 2D comic-shader they used in my opinion has huge problems. Lines appear distorted or pixelated and the perspective is often wrong (especially apparent if a character is far away). This series looks like a computer game and the characters are completely missing the fluid and life-like animation I came to admire in Anime. The dialogue is not lip sync (I'm referring to the Japanese audio track) and the animation feels sterile and emotionless. Characters often seem to stare into the void and motions seem forced and clunky.

I cannot say much about the plot, but from what I've seen so far I don't think that the story will develop into something memorable. This ain't no Shakespeare and this ain't no Akira either. ;-)

And honestly - I know that Nissin Cup Noodles paid the bills since it's a promotional project. But if this means that it's necessary to hold a cup of CUP NOODLES into the camera every five minutes then I highly question the integrity of the artists involved in the project.

If you must have everything Katsuhiro Otomo was involved in and/or like lighter stories targeted mainly at a young male audience then this might be for you. In all other cases - avoid! You might end up with a rather expensive dust catcher sitting on your shelve. :-)

As I said above - I'm not going to rate this product by content. Which, in this case, helps the rating very much. ;-)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 18, 2009 7:18 PM GMT