Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Amazon Customer (UK)

Facing East: A Pilgrim's Journey into the Mysteries o
Facing East: A Pilgrim's Journey into the Mysteries o

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 7 July 2017
Really enjoyed this book. It is not the story I wanted to read, that of conversion to orthodoxy detailed but the stories of church and family are engaging and sometimes moving. I will be reading the sequel asap.

Jacquard iPoly Fabric Dye 14g-Blue
Jacquard iPoly Fabric Dye 14g-Blue
Offered by Barnyarns

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 21 Feb. 2016
Dyed a badly yellowed cream dress. Care label lost in alteration but clearly synthetic. Dark blue dye dyed it to a nice bluebell colour, the lining dyed a dark purply cobalt so I guess that's the colour range. I did not want the stress or Snell or hassle of stove top method so just did on a ninety degree machine wash. No smell at all.

The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine
The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine
by Michael Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling intricate rewarding read..., 21 Feb. 2016
Compelling read, hardest to follow the intricacies of the financial hocus pocus but that's the point, but compelling portraits of key protagonists and ultimately chilling analysis of psychopathic greed on part of big banks. Could not put it down and in fact had to stop myself going straight back to beginning and starting again!

The Body Shape Bible: Forget Your Size Discover Your Shape Transform Yourself
The Body Shape Bible: Forget Your Size Discover Your Shape Transform Yourself
by Trinny Woodall

5.0 out of 5 stars great advice, potentially transformative, 31 May 2010
I got this as a gift. Agree it takes a short time to read your own type but rest of it is interesting too. I ama goblet, immediately recogniseable. The book gave me three absolute gems. firstly it taught me that I am not fat ( a common lifelong self perception for goblets, apparently), secondly, I realised that no amount of dieting will turn me into a willowy column type, thirdly, I know why I can't do "boho", a lifelong regret. Using the prototype garment shapes really takes pounds and years off. On the wholeT&S are positive and constructive. The number of shapes is much much better than say, CMB where I have to cut and paste to get myself in entirity. Gives you the tools to really work your shape to its best advantage, and helps you leave behind regrets about not being shaped like someone else

The End of Overeating: Taking Control of Our Insatiable Appetite
The End of Overeating: Taking Control of Our Insatiable Appetite
by David A. Kessler

4.0 out of 5 stars fascinating science, treatment model needs work, 10 May 2010
A compelling and horrifying account of the practices and strategies of the food industry, as they seek to "fuse" your body's natural appetite/ consumption regulation with "hyperpalatable" junk foods. Very interesting overview of neural systems and their cognitive-behavioural manifestations in terms of eating . This in itself is a very powerful stimulus to clean up one's eating act. This part of the book could be edited down and precied, but nevertheless it is fascinating, and I looked as if with magic specs at the offerings of "food" at the servo when I filled my car up today.If you are a food struggler this will both comfort and motivate you, the former as you will realise you are not alone/ a despicable dieting failure/eating freak with no willpower, the latter because you will be horrified at the toxic muck the industry is peddling in the guise of food without regard for your health. However, I found the section on "food rehab" a bit muddled and incomplete, it feels rushed in comparison to the exhaustive detail in the first part of the book, though it gives pointers for a starting point.If you want a really good practical strategy to address an addictive eating problem check out "eating less" by Gillian Riley Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeatingwhich is less exhaustive on the science but primarily focussed/crystal cogent on managing addictive eating, written nevertheless from a well researched theory but also the experience of working with hundreds of overeaters over a decade or more.

The Nativity Story [DVD] (2006)
The Nativity Story [DVD] (2006)
Dvd ~ Keisha Castle-Hughes
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars .Beautiful, original but sensitive and very watchable adaptation, 29 Dec. 2009
Draws out the human drama of the nativity without sacrificing anything of the numinous. Beautifully shot, with lovely chemistry between the main characters. Great acting from all. Good insight into nature of Roman dominance of Judea at the time, and therefore the political context of the story. Imaginitively adapts without distorting the story or "Hollywoodising" it; captivates my 2 kids (9 & 11) but also satisfies and moves my husband (a theology postgrad and very critical of these things). Agree with other reviewers that it could have used an angel chorus at the end. Actual nativity scene and end very Christmas cardey but it seems churlish to complain, and it satisfies expectations. Good score, which artfully weaves in many Christmas carols, which adds depth if you know some of the words. We have taken to watching it every Christmas.

Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating
Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating
by Gillian Riley

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I have read in 30 years of weight struggles., 2 Oct. 2008
Discovered this book by chance browsing yet again for something new. A deceptively simple book and technique that is truly wise in that the more you study, the more you realise and learn. Gillian convincingly purports the should -be -obvious truth that the way you eat, not what you weigh is the root of the problem then explores this with great wisdom and insight using an addiction model. Initially like some other reviewers i wondered if this too "would not work" for my weight, then realised that my weight had stopped yoyoing by its usual stone, after 10 months it is now starting to drop steadily though slowly in a way I am confident can be sustained. Like anything lasting, authentic and worthwhile it takes sustained and mindful effort to put the techniques into practice but I can honestly say i have not yet encountered a problem Gillian has not addressed in the book. I don't think I will ever need to buy a "diet book" again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2008 10:45 AM BST