Profile for J. Caygill > Reviews

Content by J. Caygill

J. Caygill (Northampton, England)

Lotmusic-3L3R Guitar Deluxe Tuning Pegs Machine Heads for Gibson Replacement
Lotmusic-3L3R Guitar Deluxe Tuning Pegs Machine Heads for Gibson Replacement
Offered by Kmise

3.0 out of 5 stars May not fit a Gibson properly..., 26 Oct. 2013
I ordered a set of these as a quick replacement for my Gibson SG - however the pegs are a little shorter than the original factory fitted pegs and only just poke through the headstock enough to fit a string. Also the pegs do not fit snugly into the (original) hole in the headstock which I can only assume would affect the sound. I think these are fine for an EPIPHONE SG but if you've got a Gibson you probably want to try something else.

I'm just going to have to pay full price for a proper set I guess!

My Name Is Earl - Season 1 [DVD]
My Name Is Earl - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jason Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 9 April 2007
When I first saw an episode of MNIE I thought it was okay, nothing special. I watched another episode, and then found myself pretty much watching the whole boxed set in one sitting, now I love it. It relies more on the brilliant characters and situations rather than gags, and it's all the better for it. I find it very easy to watch without ever getting bored of it, I really can't wait for the next series to be released.

Metal Rhythm Guitar Vol. 1 (Troy Stetina)
Metal Rhythm Guitar Vol. 1 (Troy Stetina)
by Troy Stetina

5.0 out of 5 stars HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!, 27 Mar. 2007
I picked up my first guitar almost ten years ago. My first few months were spent with a rather "serious" book, which almost killed my interest completely. Then, thankfully, I found this excellent book, and it completely saved my guitar playing.

It manages to teach you basic (and invaluable) techniques whilst still making the examples and tutorials sound good, so you immediately feel like you're making progress. The learning curve is also at a good level, and slowly introduces new methods to bring you up to scratch, as well as involving some basic (and essential!) music theory.

Nine years on I'd like to think of myself as quite an accomplished guitarist, but if it wasn't for this book (and a few others from the series) I'd probably have given up long ago.

I can't recommend this enough to anyone interested in playing "hard rock" or metal guitar, it's the best guitar tutorial book I've ever seen.

Nosferatu (1922) - Two-disc set [DVD]
Nosferatu (1922) - Two-disc set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Max Schreck
Offered by Discountdiscs-UK : Dispatched daily from the UK.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent film, maybe not the best version though?, 16 Oct. 2006
I saw this version recently, and whilst the presentation of the dialogue etc is very nice, the 'modern' soundtrack is awful. It doesn't appear to have any relation to what's going on on screen at all, and provides moments of tension when they're really not required, and awful synth cheese which can really spoil the mood during the darker scenes.

I don't know what the other releases are like, but I'd really try to avoid the Art Zoyd score, it's mostly terrible. Maybe just mute it and put a CD on...

5 stars for the film itself though, certainly beats the Universal Studios 'Dracula' for me (as much as I like Lugosi in that).