Profile for Derek > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
The Piano Accordion Absolute Beginners
The Piano Accordion Absolute Beginners
by Karen Tweed

4.0 out of 5 stars Reformat Would be a lot better, but its still good contents., 24 Aug. 2012
Content is great, can't be better! It would be much better to make the staves half which would be much clearer. The text needs to be clearer as well.So come on, lets do it and make it the best that would millons, something to be formated.

Thermos Ultimate Stainless Steel Flask - 800 ml, Graphite
Thermos Ultimate Stainless Steel Flask - 800 ml, Graphite

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Flask, BUT, 2 Jun. 2012
A good flask, butI bought mine in the summer, the weather was warm. I filled it and 24 hours later it was ok to drink, but not as hot as i thought it might be. I would not think it would last 24 hours in winter but we will see? I think there are better flasks around, so I award it only 3 Stars. In my opinion none of the flasks keep mighty hot,I mean, hot enough to reall enjoy a piping hot drink at 24 from the time they are filled. When I pay a high price, I expect the Very Best and I must say I was dissapointed somewhat. How hot will it stay in winter? thats anyones guess, maybe half the time stated, who knows. I try to write very honest reveiws of products, but maybe YOU, the reader will think I demand too much, but I am forwarning you, if you heed my advise or not, thats up to you!

The Alexander Brothers - Song of the Clyde [DVD]
The Alexander Brothers - Song of the Clyde [DVD]
Dvd ~ The Alexander Brothers

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth 10 Stars! What a Fantastic dvd, A MUST HAVE!, 2 Jun. 2012
The clarity of the filming in this DVD is 100% and very well captured, the camera man did his job extreemly well, so did Tom and Jack the Alexander Brothers. The many songs are all well known. This is music at its best, entertainment and relaxing to veiw. Our friends Amazon sent this cd by return as usual, it was well packed, what great service we have here in the uk, a website that supplies all our needs, lets take advantage and use them more and make them known to all our friends.
100% on all counts.

You Can Teach Yourself Accordion
You Can Teach Yourself Accordion
by Neil Griffin

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book I have Ever Seen For Accordion!, 2 Jun. 2012
As a trained musician, I was very impressed with this book and to those who may teach the accordion. I would say its about the best one can buy. Its very clearly laid out and very easy to follow. A 48 bass half size is all that needed apart from the last two songs. You start playing tunes almost intstantly, after a few excerices on using the bellows correctly. If you buy this book, you will need nothing else to get you to a reasonable standard on the accordion. There is also a usefull CD so you can hear how the excerises and songs should sound. This book stands out from all the rest and if you are about to take up the intrument, look no further! Worth 10 Stars. it was well packed and came by return of post from our firends at Amazon. 100% on all counts!

Palmer-Hughes Accordion Course: Melodic Adventures in Bassland
Palmer-Hughes Accordion Course: Melodic Adventures in Bassland
by John Caruso

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 2 Jun. 2012
This book is fine if you have a full 120 bass accordion, which I don't. It fails to point out, it is written with a full sized accordion in mind, thats not amazons fault, its the fault of the publisher, having not made the matter clear. Otherwise a great book, in fact perfect for thoses who are strong enough to hold such a heavy instrument, and thats not me!

Palmer-Hughes Accordion Course, Bk 4
Palmer-Hughes Accordion Course, Bk 4
by Palmer Hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book BUT, 2 Jun. 2012
A very clear tutor book, but it doesn't explain in the content review pages that one would need at least a 72 bass accordion to follow it. So be on your guard! The information is very well presented and its easy to follow providing you have the right instrument with the correct number of bass buttons 72 bass upwards. It came next day by return of post well packed. Our friends at Amazon do us proud, it clearly has to be one of the very best, if not 'THE BEST' service on the internet for shopping. 10 stars to Amazon! Having looked at this book further it could easily be adapted to 48 bass accordions, I judged this book too quickly and too soon, sorry about that.

The Jimmy Shand Story: The King of Scottish Dance Music
The Jimmy Shand Story: The King of Scottish Dance Music
by Ian Cameron

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a very worthwhile read., 21 May 2012
Although I didn't buy my copy of this book from Amazon, the reason why being, it was a gift to me. But I feel nonetheless I must write a reveiw. Both This Book and The DVD offered to us from our friends at Amazon, who serve us well, is a MUST HAVE for all lovers of traditional Scottish Accordion Music. Its a very in depth book about Jimmys Life and it Should be on ALL the shelves of ALL Libraries throughout the Uk and the States, in fact ALL English speaking countries. Jimmy Shand was the ONLY Scottish Dance band to ever get in the hit parade and he made countless 78's, 45's and Long Playing Records and now on CD. Most people over the 50 age group will have heard this great man and the lovely music he brought to us all. I hope students of The Accordion World, will listen to his music if they have not already done so. This book is a treasure and a gem to all lovers of Scottish Dance Music. Its a great read. BUY IT.

The Mighty Accordion
The Mighty Accordion
by David Digiuseppe
Edition: Perfect Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars Unsure About This Book, 21 May 2012
I would not reccomend this book to any students wanting to master the art of the Bass side of the Accordion. This however is only my PERSONAL VIEW. It might well suit many people. Usually I am impressed with all the MEL BAY stuff, but this time, it was dissapointing and the price is way too high! Judge for yourself. The accordion is still surrounded by a lot of mystic, we need to give students a clear cut, understanding of what they are studying. I personally was lucky to have accordion lessons as a child, but I am not an expert in this instrument, so its only my veiw. Teachers these days of the Piano Accordion are few and far between. They often complicate a very strightforward instrument and if a student was given this book, its enough to put them off for life! I would strongly suggest to invest in a copy of MEL BAY's "You Can Teach Yourself Piano Accordion", available with a CD from our friends here at Amazon. We need to get young people and all people even those retired, to find enjoyment and fullfillment in learing the Piano Accordion and this MEL BAY Publication, will take you from the first steps to a transitional stage of playing, IF you follow it through and don't rush the book. Its about 12 months work that is, if one can't read music, otherwise much less! Take the lessons one by one, stage by stage, record yourself and ask someone with musical knowledge to be your mentor. Make it an enjoyable goal.
Music should be fun as well as a learning experience.I hope this answers all your questions.In case you wonder, yes I am a highly trianed musican. I play The Accordion for pleasure, but my studies were, Piano,Organ,Harp and Voila.
DEREK. ARCM.LLCM.FNCM
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2012 8:42 PM BST

Mind Pack
Mind Pack
by Edward de Bono
Edition: Game

3.0 out of 5 stars OK I Guess., 21 May 2012
This review is from: Mind Pack (Game)
Ok I guess but it doesn't state that two or more players are needed. Maybe some of it works but I am unsure and not the right person to ask. judge for yourself!

Foster and Allen - A Trip Down Memory Lane [DVD]
Foster and Allen - A Trip Down Memory Lane [DVD]
Dvd ~ Foster & Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD!, 21 May 2012
Really nice to sit back listen to, sing with and watch. What more could anyone really ask for? The whole DVD is a joy to listen to and i think most people in my age group (0ver 50) would very much appreciate it. I hope it may atrract those not as old but unsure. The Music of Foster and Allen will live on long after us!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11