Profile for Sarah G > Reviews

Sarah G

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Leapfrog LeapReader Human Body Map
Leapfrog LeapReader Human Body Map

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for ages 4-7 to learn more about the human body, 15 Nov. 2015
I bought this aimed at my 4 year old who had been asking a lot of questions about the body, but there is so much information it is perhaps more useful for an older age. His 6 year old brother really enjoys using it too, and yes I know he should be reading books about the human body at his age, but giving children a variety of learning tools enhances learning I would say!

Place Value Flip Stand
Place Value Flip Stand
Offered by Just Childsplay

4.0 out of 5 stars Great - larger than expected, 15 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Place Value Flip Stand (Toy)
Great - much larger than I expected. Will be used to help my 6 year old "get" the concept of place value a bit more easily.

Leapfrog LeapReader Green
Leapfrog LeapReader Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't use it to teach your child to read, 15 Nov. 2015
I only purchased the Leapreader in order to get my children the world map and the human body set (both of which are beyond excellent).

The pen works well and it is very straightforward to download the material. The reason for 3 stars is that I would never recommend the system as a way of teaching a child to read. In particular, (and this was proven by the sampler book that came with the pen), the voice calls the letters by their name, rather than using the phonics approach used by schools - so there seems to be little point in confusing children by giving them this system.

If you are looking to buy this pen to help your child learn to read - I would say forget it - stick to reading with your child so you can make sure you are sounding the letters in the correct phonics method.

BUT - if you want the pen to go with the non-learning to read material (the map, the human body, and the solar system), then this is very much recommended!

LeapFrog LeapReader World Map (Works with Tag)
LeapFrog LeapReader World Map (Works with Tag)
Offered by Drifted Lifestyle

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for learning geography, 15 Nov. 2015
Excellent learning resource for my boys aged 4 and 6. I bought the Leapreader pen specifically for this world map and the human body set, which I have also purchased.

I had never bought the Leapreader or any leapreader books as I totally disagree with the way it claims to teach reading. In particular, (and this was proven by the sampler book that came with the pen), the voice calls the letters by their name, rather than using the phonics approach used by schools - so there seems to be little point in confusing children by giving them this system. Stick to reading with your child and using phonics methods.

BUT - this map is a brilliant buy and made it worth it to get the pen, as it teaches geographical facts, not how to read. The boys spend ages poring over it, hearing the names of the countries, and pressing on the different children images to hear how to say hello in different languages. Really pleased.

Rush Hour Junior Puzzle Game
Rush Hour Junior Puzzle Game
Offered by tlmwholesale11

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic puzzle but for younger children, 1 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Rush Hour Junior Puzzle Game (Toy)
Great idea. A puzzle concept that is easy to understand but challenging to complete. I bought this aimed at my 6 year old but it is actually my 4 year old (who loves puzzles generally) who has really enjoyed this. He found the green and orange levels very easy, so I gave him the blue level and he happily spent an hour working his way through all 10 of the blue challenge cards. The reds were harder and he had to really think to get through these, (and needed a hint at challenge 37) but he was so pleased with himself for finally completing them.

So in summary, this is ideal for 4 to 5 year olds to get them really working their brains.

Oxford Reading Tree Songbirds: Level 2. The Odd Pet and Other Stories
Oxford Reading Tree Songbirds: Level 2. The Odd Pet and Other Stories
by Julia Donaldson

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Reception age children to read by themselves, 10 July 2014
Good stories for Reception age children to read by themselves. It is a challenge to make stories interesting when only very short simple words can be used, but Julia Donaldson's are the best I have seen for my 5 year old to read by himself.

Spider School (Early Reader)
Spider School (Early Reader)
by Francesca Simon

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for children who have just started school, 10 July 2014
My 5 year old loves this story and it is good to encourage him to read a real book by himself. Would definitely wait until your child starts school before reading them this, so as not to scare them into thinking they will be taught by a gorilla!

Orchard Toys Giant Road Jigsaw
Orchard Toys Giant Road Jigsaw

3.0 out of 5 stars I liked it more than my son did!, 5 Mar. 2014
I bought this for my nearly 3 year old who adores jigsaw puzzles. Whereas I think it's fantastic, a really clever toy, I found my son was not really interested. I think part of this is based on expectations of how to play with it. An older age can challenge themselves to find lots of different combinations using all the pieces (my 7 year old nephew was obsessed with it when he visited one day) but for a 3 year old all they want to do is put pieces together, so a traditional jigsaw that makes a large picture would be better.

CASDON Little Shopper Fruit and Vegetable Basket
CASDON Little Shopper Fruit and Vegetable Basket

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice while it lasted, 5 Mar. 2014
Nice and realistic toy, but the handles come off the basket easily, and most of the fruits / vegetables get squashed and break without too much effort. Only the asparagus and the carrot are solid plastic so have resisted damage. On the other hand, good price for a few weeks of fun.

Brainstorm Toys My Very  Own Kaleidoscope
Brainstorm Toys My Very Own Kaleidoscope

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as described, 5 Mar. 2014
This was a gift for my 6 year old neice, but I saw it in action and it works as described, making clear and colourful patterns on the wall. Sweet as a small gift but not as a main birthday present.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3