Profile for S. Donaldson > Reviews

Content by S. Donaldson

S. Donaldson (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
River Ganseys: Strikin' t'loop, Swaving, and  Other Yorkshire Knitting Curiosities Revived from the Archives
River Ganseys: Strikin' t'loop, Swaving, and Other Yorkshire Knitting Curiosities Revived from the Archives
by Penelope Lister Hemingway

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing with poorly reproduced images, 2 May 2017
Very disappointed. I purchased this as a present, and the pictures are really not of the standard I would expect. Considering that this is a book about the intricate knitting of ganseys, many of the pictures are of such poor quality you cannot see the pattern at all.
While the information contained in the book is fine (although not confined to Yorkshire), I feel that the images should add to the reading experience, not detract from it.

A Parcel of Ribbons : Letters of an 18th century family in London and Jamaica
A Parcel of Ribbons : Letters of an 18th century family in London and Jamaica
by Anne M Powers

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating insight into the C18th, 14 Jan. 2017
A well-documented window into life in C18th Jamaica and London. The majority of the book is a fabulous collection of personal correspondence between members of the Lee family, with some meticulously researched and written background. This is a rare look into a family's life through their own eyes.

This is a great book for those interested in the era, in Jamaica or London, or looking to read first-hand accounts from the C18th, but with the amount of research Anne has undertaken her footnotes and bibliography open up a new avenue of further reading for the more serious historian.

A Parcel of Ribbons: Letters of an 18th century family in London and Jamaica
A Parcel of Ribbons: Letters of an 18th century family in London and Jamaica

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating insight into the C18th, 10 Jan. 2017

Messages from the Sea: Letters and Notes from a Lost Era Found in Bottles and on Beaches Around the World
by Paul Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars A poignant reminder of the seafaring past, 1 Oct. 2016
Messages from the Sea is a wonderful little book. Snippets taken from newspapers around the world lead us into the lives, and deaths, of seafaring men and women from a lost era. Their stories are captured in a way that leaves more questions than answers, although Paul does give us some answers along the way. From salutations thrown overboard to heartrending final messages, this book brings home the grim reality of sea travel before the days of radio contact. It leaves you wondering, did any of these poor souls actually get home, or was their fate as they saw it … to be consigned to the deep.
It’s a book I know I will be dipping into again even though I have read it from cover to cover.

AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A NOBODY: THE FIRST TWO DECADES
AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A NOBODY: THE FIRST TWO DECADES

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Entertaining Read, 18 April 2015
It’s been a long time since I sat down and read a book in one sitting, but that’s what I did with Autobiography of a Nobody. Ok, so it’s not exactly War and Peace, but I honestly couldn’t put it down.

Bob Munro paints a vivid picture of life as one of the not-quite-so-privileged few, from birth through to being an evacuee during the war, then as a young man finding his feet. He writes with a wicked sense of humour and a frankness that is both refreshing and welcome when so many biographies can be heavy going.

If you like an autobiography that is entertaining and leaves you wanting more, I would recommend Autobiography of a Nobody. I hope Mr Munro has written the next instalment, I look forward to reading it.

MasterChef 16/ 18/ 20 cm 3-Piece Covered Saucepan Set with Helper Handle
MasterChef 16/ 18/ 20 cm 3-Piece Covered Saucepan Set with Helper Handle

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I'd expect, 29 Oct. 2014
I've waited so long to review here because I thought perhaps I was having "teething" problems. The handles leak water, even after having been thoroughly dried, as do the bases. Somehow during washing water gets into the bases, so they obviously aren't fitted properly.

They're ok to use, but after having had to replace my excellent Morganware pans after 15 year, these are a massive disappointment. I expect they will be replaced sooner rather than later.

I see they are not available at present... if you do decide to buy Masterchef pans be very aware of the handles and bases, this may be a flaw that has been rectified in future manufacturing.

Agent Dmitri
Agent Dmitri
by Emil Draitser

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing story to rival fiction, 18 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Agent Dmitri (Paperback)
When I first started to read this book I wasn't totally sure what I would think of it. There are so many dry biographies out there, ones that give you the facts without an inkling of story-telling. However, this book had me gripped from start to finish, and with quite a few instances of disbelief, just enough to make me question reality. Draitser has woven the story of a man whom he met shortly before his death, with style and dignity. This book is the culmination of memories, painstaking research and family archives.

As a biography this is an intriguing, informative and an easy read. There is a well crafted index, an informative notes section, a good select bibliography and a few pictures and diagrams. I would have liked more pictures to illustrate his story, but the ones that appear do show you how one man can have disguised himself so well and taken on the numerous personas needed for his intelligence work.

As a story, it rivals any spy novel out there. Dmitri's career was an impressive one, fuelled by a need to survive, love for his country and misguided loyalty to a regime that would chew him up and spit him out.

I can't recommend this book highly enough.

StreetDance 2 [DVD]
StreetDance 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Falk Hentshel
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars not as good as the first, 30 Nov. 2012
This review is from: StreetDance 2 [DVD] (DVD)
After the brilliant dance scenes and passable story of Streetdance, we bought this hoping for more of the same, Unfortunately StreetDance2 is more of a plod than a dance. While the dance scenes are not bad, being latin rather than ballet there was less of a flow to this one. Ok, so if you are buying this for the dance you dont necessarily need a storyline, but something that gets you from A to B without looking at your watch would be good.
Since we bought SD1 we've watched it loads of times, this one has been watched once. It's a shame as it could have been so much more...its ok, but dont expect too much from it.

The English Monster (Charles Horton 1)
The English Monster (Charles Horton 1)
by Lloyd Shepherd

5.0 out of 5 stars fact and fiction merge, 30 Nov. 2012
The opening pages of this book start in a way that had me scratching my head, but the story moves in such a way that this is exactly what the author intends. Weaving in and out, we have the story of the Ratcliffe Highway murders, and the seafaring life of Billy Ablass. This isn't your usual dual timeline story, and before long I was gripped by the narrative.
The story is clever and confident, it's part horror and part historical novel. The horror part is bloody and vicious; the historical brings you into the world of pirates, slave traders and London life. Shepherd has a way with words that shows he has researched his story and really understands his eras well, bringing the characters to life with ease and compassion.
By the time I'd finished this book I wanted to learn more about the real murders, and with the reference notes given thats exactly what I can do. This is a very well written first novel, I look forward to his next and would recommend this book if you love historical horror novels.

The Ghost Goes West [1935] [DVD]
The Ghost Goes West [1935] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Donat
Offered by claires_media_store

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 7 July 2011
This is the first film I can ever remember seeing, so obviously it holds a certain amount of nostalgia for me, as Im sure it does for many others. However, when I bought the dvd I wasnt sure whether the film would be as good as I remembered, or if it would have been better to have left it alone.

I neednt have worried. This is a classic and it has lost none of its charm. Sure there are a few creaks here and there...the film quality isnt the best and at times the sound could be better, but for a film that is nearly 80 years old I think you can forgive a few wrinkles.

It's a gentle comedy, perhaps not for youngsters who are used to fast paced modern films, but I think that everyone should see this film at least once.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2012 2:18 PM GMT