Profile for Nick Craig-Wood > Reviews

Content by Nick Craig-Wood

Nick Craig-Wood (Guildford, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Sabrent USB 3.1 (Type-A) to SSD / 2.5-Inch SATA Hard Drive Adapter [Optimized For SSD, Support UASP SATA III] (EC-SS31)
Offered by Lenox trading

5.0 out of 5 stars I now have a 200 MB/s 180GB memory stick - fantastic!, 29 Jun. 2017
I bought one of these to use with an old 2.5" SSD drive that came out of a server. I now have a 200 MB/s 180GB memory stick - fantastic!

S15 SMD LED Fluorescent Tube Striplight Replacement 284mm LED Striplight Lamp Warm White
Offered by Strictly Lamps

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely bright white light - perfect for close viewing in the mirror., 4 May 2017
I got this as a replacement for the bathroom mirror - the one I use for shaving.

It produces a lovely bright white light - perfect for close viewing in the mirror.

The colour is wrong if you wanted a bedside light but perfect for seeing your face well in the mirror.

The Explorer
The Explorer

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting story; sub-par science, 15 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Explorer (Kindle Edition)
James Smythe is a talented author - "The Machine" was one of my favourite books in 2014 so I was looking forward to reading this book.

Firstly the good parts...

It is an interesting story. I enjoyed the quiet dreamy claustrophobic feel to it, and the twists and turns along the way. It made me think about the ending for some time afterwards so it was successful in that respect.

However...

The science in the book was sub-par. If you can manage to watch Hollywood sci-fi films without cringing then maybe you won't notice, but I expect more from sci-fi books where the author has the time to explain and not take short cuts.

Here is a quote talking about the space craft travelling in vacuum, "The engines have smaller engines facing the opposite direction that fire for a single burst to slow the craft down, otherwise the momentum would be tremendous and we’d never get to leave the ship. After they’ve fired, there’s a fifteen-minute wait for the ship’s hull to cool". I won't pick through that as I don't want to turn this review into a physics lecture, but if that kind of thing bothers you, then there is a lot of it in this book.

I'm going to read the next in the quartet "The Echo" with some trepidation; I'm really hoping James Smythe has had a science advisor look over the text.

Predestination
Predestination
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful time travelling sci-fi - recommended, 14 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Predestination (Amazon Video)
If you like your sci-fi movies to make you think, then you'll enjoy this film. I'm a big fan of time travel stories and this one didn't disappoint. It is a very unusual story, and it is difficult to say anything about it without spoiling the plot.

I read the original story "All you zombies" by Robert Heinlein most recently about 10 years ago, and at that distance the film does a good job with the story. I found the story again after the watching the film, and marveled that it is only about 10 pages long. The film extends the short story continuing after the original ending, but that is done very well and consistently with the original story. It also takes a few liberties here and there in the name of a good cinema experience.

As with all good time travel movies you'll probably want to watch it twice!

Damocles
Damocles

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely done first contact novel, 13 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Damocles (Kindle Edition)
It was refreshing to read this nicely done first contact novel in the classic hard sci-fi style.

It focuses on exactly how difficult it would be to make contact with an alien race, and just how hard exchanging real meaning would be.

I found it very exciting to read and rather hard to put down. I particularly enjoyed the rather temperamental FTL drive and the superstitions and mythologies that had built up around it.

More please!

The Way to Go: A Thorough Introduction to the Go Programming Language
The Way to Go: A Thorough Introduction to the Go Programming Language

4.0 out of 5 stars A thorough introduction indeed, 20 Jan. 2013
After finishing the kindle edition I can say that this book covers Go very fully. It has lots of interesting examples and covers the language, its libraries and useful techniques.

The book isn't perfect though. The English has errors and some of the code hasn't been updated to Go 1.0.

If you like reading long technical books you'll probably enjoy this provided you can see past the errors.

BestDealUK 5-Point Pentalobe Screwdriver for Macbook Air Pro
BestDealUK 5-Point Pentalobe Screwdriver for Macbook Air Pro

4.0 out of 5 stars Did the job!, 28 Nov. 2012
I bought this screwdriver to repair a 2012 Macbook Air.

I used it to disassemble the laptop just fine and the magnetised head was useful with those really tiny screws.

It appears to be made of quite hard metal and the rotating top to place in your palm is helpful.

I've only given it 4 stars because I felt the screwdriver could have engaged more firmly with the screws, but as I said it did the job at a very reasonable price.

It did take quite a long time to arrive though.

The Secret Olympian: The Inside Story of the Olympic Experience
The Secret Olympian: The Inside Story of the Olympic Experience

5.0 out of 5 stars If you enjoyed the Olympics; you'll enjoy this, 28 Oct. 2012
A fascinating insight into what it is like to be an Olympic athlete written by someone who was there. It consists of personal observations by the anonymous athlete interspersed with quotes from interviews with other athletes.

It is mostly set in the Greek Olympics of 2008 but there are stories from earlier Olympics.

I enjoyed the chronological layout, the selection process, the training, the Olympics, the event and what next (a difficult time).

This was an impulse purchase for me but I'm really glad I did buy it; it kept my interest and I learnt lots of interesting things!

Apples
Apples

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating insight into modern teenagers, 26 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Apples (Kindle Edition)
As a parent of teenagers I found this compelling reading; what the children get up to is eye opening!

The author creates arresting characters that you want to understand and that kept me reading.

I didn't like the chapter of backwards writing - it was really hard to read! I guess the point was to make me feel dyslexic which it succeeded at.

I wish the book had been longer and had a bit more plot resolution. It will certainly stick in my mind for a long time.

An Introduction to Programming in Go
An Introduction to Programming in Go

5.0 out of 5 stars A short but useful introduction, 27 Sept. 2012
This book is relatively short but provides a good introduction to go.

The book starts from first principles - how to install go and how to use a text editor. It then runs though go touching on types, variables, control structures, arrays, slices, maps, functions, pointers, struts and interfaces which are the basics of the language. It then goes on to concurrency, packages and testing.

If you read this book you'll have a good grounding in go, especially if you supplement it with the go online docs such as the go tour. It goes quite slowly at the start so hopefully would be accessible to beginners but as an experienced coder I found that easy to skip over.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3