Profile for Ian Nutshell > Reviews

Content by Ian Nutshell

Ian Nutshell (Sheffield, England)

This Moment
This Moment

4.0 out of 5 stars Just right for this moment, 5 Feb. 2009
This review is from: This Moment (Audio CD)
During a period of major change in my life, with massive uncertainty over the future, the messages of all the songs have been an enormous inspiration to me, and I think that's what matters,and what SCC would aim for. I agree, it's good rather than outsatnding, but it's been outsatnding for me, and I hope to learn and play some of the songs. Interestingly, the "real time" acoustic versions of the songs at the end appeal to me more than the highly produced ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better late than never, 22 Oct. 2008
This review is from: 2 (Audio CD)
Spotted in a bookshop in Bakewell, Derbyshire. There wasn't a "2" was there? So I bought it. And it's hardly been off in the car since. I agree with other reviewers that not every song here is a gem, but the Lucas numbers do have something that stirs the sentiments. (You who said he wasn't a great songwriter, I present exhibit A - "Bring 'em Down" on Fairport 9). It's true though that it's the Denny tracks that really stir the soul. Her remarkable ability to interpret a song never disappoints on this disc.

With all the emotion in the vocals, and all the Telecaster Pyrotechnics of the genius Donahue, it's easy to ignore the superb foundation on which this edifice is built. British folk-rock music has provided some of the best rhythm sections in the world. Conway and Donaldson excel on this album, always supporting, always enhancing, always driving, and never overwhelming. And as to the production values, the three remaining members deserve a medal for obtaining a purity of sound that 21st century ears won't baulk at, while retaining the essential feel and style of a '70's recording.

I doubt you'll be disappointed if you buy it. For me, it's a minor masterpiece.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 17, 2010 7:46 PM BST

Truth
Truth
Offered by Springwood Media

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant but frustrating, 11 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Truth (Audio CD)
Bought in the wake of seeing Ford live at Sheffield's Boardwalk. It's a superb album, showcasing that superb, fluent musicianship. I've listened to it over and over. It's not a problem to me that it's easier on the ear and less edgy than other albums, indeed it means I can put it on in the car when the family is with me. The one factor that really irks me though is this. On the gig, Robben's finishes were sharp, and so imaginative and unexpected as to literally take my breath away. Why then, in the name of Seamus's trousers, does he fade so many of the tracks out in the studio? Pointless, and, for me, cost one star.

Larry Carlton, Robben Ford And Autour Du Blues - Paris Concert [2006] [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Francis Cabrel

2.0 out of 5 stars Euphoria to disappointment, 11 Jun. 2008
I bought this still in a high state of euphoria after seeing Ford live at Sheffield's Boardwalk. I really should learn to wait until I've calmed down. Most of it's been said by the other reviewer, but these are decent sessionists playing standards (better versions of which you can buy on other videos) with two of the world's real greats slotted uncomfortably in.

Bad Faith: A Forgotten History of Family and Fatherland
Bad Faith: A Forgotten History of Family and Fatherland
by Carmen Callil

5.0 out of 5 stars Timely - and a "must read", 20 Sept. 2006
I bought this book a year ago after hearing the author interviewed on the radio, and finally got around to reading it in the last couple of weeks. It's a big book in so many ways. The early chapters are packed with detail and require concentration, but the work is rewarded on so many levels. The intimacy of the story draws the reader in, the portraits of the real life people are absolutely compelling, and the research is minute and painstaking. The tale of how liars and fantasists came to hold high office, how inept collaborationists ran Vichy France through the war, and how the result was death and persecution on an enormous scale, provides a pertinent warning in this age when the far right is re-emerging across Europe and rewriting its past. Finally, this is the best written use of the English language I have read for a long time. Please read it and learn the lessons. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Photographing Wild Birds
Photographing Wild Birds
by Chris Gomersall

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it for the photos, 31 Aug. 2006
I bought this having just started getting interested in birds after years of interest in photography, and certainly don't regret it. Gomersall knows his subject, and happily includes contributions by other excellent photographers. He's also concerned to get across the message that good photography must not come at the expense of the creatures and their habitats. The book is written primarily with film in mind, and I'm now a digital SLR user. Also, while the talent of the photographers is beyond question, the equipment and time at their disposal is greater than most of us amateurs will ever enjoy, so with the best will in the world, we will not become Chris Gomersall. However, it's extremely readable, and there's plenty in here to improve the technique and composition of we mere mortals, and if I never took another photo I'd have paid the money to look at the pictures.

Are Men Necessary?: When Sexes Collide
Are Men Necessary?: When Sexes Collide
by Maureen Dowd

2.0 out of 5 stars Good subject wasted, 14 Aug. 2006
I bought this after hearing the extremely eloquent author interviewed on Radio 4. As a man, I'm appalled by the way that women seem to be reversing away from all the gains they've made over the years, so I thought I would find much here to applaud, and I expected the book to be a fascinating read. Nicely started, Ms Dowd. Your points are valid, which is probably the reason you make them over and over and over.... Also, as a British reader, I was left totally confused by perpetual references to American TV stars, anchor men, journalists and politicians. I know nothing of these people, and therefore have no idea whether they illustrate the point. I forced myself through over two thirds of the book (and give it 2 stars because there are some good points well made), but I'm sorry, I had to give up.

Where In Time Is Carmen Sandiego?
Where In Time Is Carmen Sandiego?

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting Way to Learn, 22 Feb. 2001
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego provided tremendous excitement for my 12 year old daughter, and for the rest of us. It taught a great deal as well. The real pleasure of it is in the interactive messages from the boss, and the ever increasing awards. Can't praise it highly enough.