Profile for AM > Reviews

Content by AM

AM (UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
How to Deal with Difficult People: Smart Tactics for Overcoming the Problem People in Your Life
by Gill Hasson

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't tell the boss about it, 22 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I half considered having this sitting on my work desk and using it for reference every time someone came to ask me a question but I thought that might be not so subtle ;)

The book is easy to read and split into 3 distinct parts. I think there are a number of good life lessons taught in it as you will come across difficult people your whole life in work and personal life.

The text is quite large which makes it easy to read and the techniques are well laid out. As it is a reference book - of sorts - there's also an index to quickly return to pages of interest.

Capstone seem to specialise in a lot of these self help type books (of which I own several) and so there is always a good standard across them which includes this book.

In summary, I think you'd struggle not to identify with or take something away from this book that would help you in your life.

LEGO 41103 Friends Pop Star Recording Studio
LEGO 41103 Friends Pop Star Recording Studio

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and child friendly., 22 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Good value Lego set predominately aimed at girls in the 6-12 age range although an advanced 4-5yr old would also have no problem, as per our family friend.

Colourful characters and Lego allowing the child to use their imagination or build up one of the Lego inspired designs.

Owing to the nature of this, it allows you to add on to the Friends Pop Star range as you wish.

Fun and child friendly.

Braun Series 9 9095CC Wet/Dry Electric Shaver with Clean and Renew Charger
Braun Series 9 9095CC Wet/Dry Electric Shaver with Clean and Renew Charger

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shaver. Good in wet & dry modes - replaces razors. Very comfortable., 10 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having used this for a week and trying wet (in shower and with foam) and dry shaves, I feel well placed to review.

Background: I hardly ever clean shave, preferring a stubble trimmer. When I do clean shave, it's Wilkinson Sword and shaving foam.

Dry shaves: very comfortable. No nicking or afterburn. Not quite as good as a clean shave with a razor but a very clean and tidy look

Wet shave (shower): not having a shower mirror made this slightly difficult but I percevered nevertheless. I found it to be less effective than the dry shave and actually felt some drag on my skin, leaving it slightly red in the lower neck area afterwards.

Shaving foam shave: wet face, applied shaving foam. Very comfortable shave. I'd say it's as good as a razor shave. Very smooth afterwards.

Cleaning: easy. Take off head, rinse under water, brush out chamber (if dry shave). Other shaves, rinse under water does it. This also has a cleaning unit that takes a lubricating methanol mix which when the shaver is inserted and the cleaning programme activated, pumps the fluid into the chamber, rinses away and drys the shaver head. Pretty neat. It's got 3 cleaning programmes but for whatever reason have only ever had it on the most intense - more research needed there.

It comes with a hard case, lead, cleaning unit, 1* cleaning fluid, brush and shaver.

Downside: none really. Have realised I still look relatively youthful without stubble so maybe that's the way forward. The one thing letting it down is the sides trimmer at the back which is pretty poor compared to the one on my stubble trimmer but that's about it.

TP-LINK RE210 AC750 Universal WiFi Range Extender/Easy WiFi Booster with External Antennas (Wall Plug, WPS function, Gigabit Ethernet port, Easy Configuration, 2.4 GHz 300 Mbps, 5 GHz 433 Mbps)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but expensive, 5 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a bit more "in your face" than my other TP Link WiFI Range Extender but ultimately is more powerful in terms of signal boosting and speed offered.

Setup is easy using WPS and the device has an threaten slot on the bottom. I used this in my garage of all places which my phone doesn't detect the house WIFI signal in but this di and provided full WIFI coverage so very pleased.

It's much more expensive than other TP Link Range extenders (almost 3 times the price of my other) and not sure it is necessarily worth that to provide extension of WIFI for everyday usage.

Apple MacBook Air 11-inch Laptop (Core i5 1.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB HDD, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger)
Offered by BaffzTronics (Same Day Dispatch by Royalmail or Parcleforce Next Day Special delivery/Express 24. T&C Apply)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cool, very functional. Love it., 13 May 2015
Always wanted one of these, not because I'm an Apple fan-boy or anything but because they are super sleek, a brilliant size and overall design is excellent. I love it. I feel good having it.

I'm using this as my portable computer with my primary one being a Windows laptop. I've used Macs on and off but in no great level of depth so a lot was new but easy to pick up. While I'm writing this, I could have bought a 'grey' import which apparently has a US keyboard layout but went for the one direct from Amazon which wasn't as cheap as the others but meant I had Amazon's excellent return policy if I needed it. In any case, the one from Amazon has the @ symbol on key 2 which I think is standard for Macs anyway. Key 3 has the UK pound symbol on it on mine which I presume means it is a UK layout so I think the difference is not the position of the @ symbol but the presence of £ or $ on key 3.

Set up was easy and most of what I use application wise is on the cloud. I did install Office for Mac but never really use it. This has OSX Yosemite which is the latest and is very friendly to use. I initially installed Chrome as the primary browser owing to me using XMarks for my bookmarks and out of sheer familiarity but it crashed so it went. I'm now using Safari which supports XMarks too and is quite nice to use when you get used to it. It also has a smoother pinch-to-zoom reaction than Chrome.

My contacts and mail are all on the apps supplied and connect to Google with no issues. I disabled all Apple iCloud features as I live in a Google world.

Things I love about this:

Size
Style
I close the lid, re-open and it really is INSTANT on
Start-up is amazingly quick from a cold start
Back-lit keyboard
Weight
Battery life (can use for a whole week with light>reasonable use)
Rapid recharging

As a portable laptop it is as quick to open and use as any tablet and that's exactly what I wanted. I could have got similarly sized/better spec'd Windows laptops but they lack the build quality. Although this has a small HD, you really don't need it these days if you live on the 'cloud'.

The spec is down on Windows laptops and I'm paying maybe twice the price - which seems nuts - but I seriously do not notice this lacking performance for everyday tasks (web, email, photos, music, MS Office). I've also got Android Studio on it and that can be a bit slow but it's not too bad. In fact I'd go as far as saying this is faster than my better spec'd Windows laptop. The screen is small and not as sharp as I would like but it's still very good. I like the Launchpad which displays apps in a iOS style. The build quality is excellent.

I was worried about electrical vibrations which I'd felt in the shop which seems to be common to MacBooks but on the whole haven't experienced - I think the newer models have a better charger or something.

My only gripe was during an OS update, it was downloading and I closed the lid. It seemed to continue to download and install and got all muddled to the extent it wouldn't start the next day. Fortunately owing to some online instructions I got it into a recovery mode where it downloaded a fresh OS and it retained all of my settings and apps. Good result for bad situation - would Windows do that? I also called Apple Support and while they only recommended what I'd done, they were helpful.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 4, 2015 7:05 PM BST

Einhell TE-CI 18Li Kit  Power X-Change 18V Lithium Cordless Impact Screwdriver Kit with 30 minute fast charge
Einhell TE-CI 18Li Kit Power X-Change 18V Lithium Cordless Impact Screwdriver Kit with 30 minute fast charge

3.0 out of 5 stars Useless without impact screw bits, 2 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This had such great promise from the product description but is as good as useless without the right screw bits which I was unaware of being a home DIY guy and not a pro.

The primary issue is that the bit holder can't (on its own) hold normal screw bits - they are too small. I then tried extending the bit holder using an additional bit holder to hold my normal screw bit but this was no good - it spins like a Kenwood mixer! If they wanted to, they could easily supply their own bits. A trip to ScrewFix got me a set of impact screw heads and bit holder which made it work just fine.

Other than that, it arrived in an over-sized hard plastic case with a heavy duty lithium ion battery.

Nice features? The LEDs but you can't switch them on or off independent of the motor.

**UPDATE**

Having bought my impact screw bit set with it's own bit holder, I have since discovered that my existing collection of non-impact bits do work fine when combined with the new bit holder extension which itself fits fine in the screw driver. In essence, don't think the screw driver on it's own is any good at holding bits without a suitable bit holder to complement it (apparently my Bosch bit holder wasn't suitable - bizarre!).

Clearblue Plus Visual Pregnancy Test Sticks - Pack of 2
Clearblue Plus Visual Pregnancy Test Sticks - Pack of 2

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and interpret results., 26 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We used these during attempts to conceive our second child which doesn't seem to be going to happen given the horizontal line through the stick.

The line is very clear unlike cheaper brands. Results are quick and easy to interpret and it's relatively easy to use.

Fire TV Stick
Fire TV Stick

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 16 April 2015
This review is from: Fire TV Stick (Electronics)
Got this as an experiment to see what it offered over a SONY Smart DVD player and Samsung SMART TV. Obviously it's supplementary to any device you plug it in to but main difference is - as far as I can tell - the app store which let's you download new apps including one that let's you watch live terrestrial TV channels!

It arrived in a nice glossy black box with bright orange inner. You get the TV stick, long USB cable, power adapter, remote (with batteries) and HDMI extender.

There's a brief instruction book but ignored this, plugged it in and hooked up to TV's USB port for power. It starts with getting you to hook it up to WI-FI. There's no WPS button so had to type in password which was a bit of a pain using the remote and on-screen keyboard. There's then an instructional video. You're also asked if you want to use YOUR Amazon account (freaky! - how do they do that?!?).

During setup I was advised that the TV USB wasn't powerful enough for the device (its a 4 year old Samsung LED) but it let me continue in any case. It also looked for updates but none were found.

The remote isn't voice enabled to facilitate voice search but the accompanying Amazon fire TV app is.

Streaming is fast and searching is better than on the Prime Video apps on the SMART devices. Quality is good. The 3rd party live TV app is a bit pixelated when streaming but this probably isn't the fault of the device. Incidentally, Samsung have this listed as a coming soon app on their Smart TV's.

At £19 pre-order price, definitely worth the money. At £35 regular price, still worth the money. You have access to all Amazon's media content, which is even better if you're a Prime customer (free streaming on many items) as well as access to many apps, your Amazon digital music library and any pictures you have stored in the Amazon cloud.

The accompanying app is good on Android devices and, as mentioned, has a voice search facility which is quite good.

Sony BDPS4500 SMART 3D Blu Ray Player with DLNA
Sony BDPS4500 SMART 3D Blu Ray Player with DLNA

3.0 out of 5 stars Set-up needs improved for non techies, 24 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very small - these are constantly getting smaller and smaller.

This is a 'smart' 3-d (does anybody use this) Blu Ray player. It comes in a small box with remote control, batteries, player, power cord and power adapter.

Easy to physically set up, i.e. hook up all cables. To use the 'smart' features, it requires a network cable to your router - not supplied - as it is not wireless. I did this and upon switching on for the first time, went through the setup which was fine. It seemed to connect to my router without issue and then advised there was a software update (around 10Mb) which it downloaded. After this there was another 20Mb update which I also downloaded.

The interface refreshed but no sign of any apps. You had to navigate to the icon which said to go online to get latest apps which I did - this refreshed the screen with a number of different popular apps. You can add additional apps from the full list to your Favourite list but this list of apps seems limited (not sure if you can get further apps e.g. ITV/STV player, etc.).

In any case, it supports Amazon Prime Video which is good and Netflix. It has BBC iPlayer, 5 Demand, SKY News, BBC News, BBS Sport - in other words, the main ones you would use.

Left to my wife (non-techie), I think she would have struggled to get online and get the apps working so taking that into consideration, I've given it a 3. Setup should be much more intuitive, otherwise it's a decent device and loads DVDs without issue.

Gillette Fusion ProGlide Manual Razor Starter Kit with Flexball Technology
Gillette Fusion ProGlide Manual Razor Starter Kit with Flexball Technology

4.0 out of 5 stars Good clean shave, 27 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I tend to let stubble grow and so don't clean shave that often but i always use Gillette Fusion blades when I do. The upside here is that the blades supplied for the fit in previous ProGlide handles and so aren't specific to this. Therefore, the only difference is the pivot head which creates a left-right style movement for the blade in addition to the up down flex of the razor head.

In any case, the shave was nice and comfortable and perhaps this was due to the new pivot action. Other than that, I can't see that there's any difference and I'm not sure how much of a difference this makes anyway.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20