Profile for AM > Reviews

AmazonBasics Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt) to DVI Adapter
AmazonBasics Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt) to DVI Adapter

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 23 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Works as expected, can't say much more than that. Cable is quite short but can't see why you would need it to be longer.

If you buy an Apple original cable the build quality might be slightly better but this is fine and does the job. If I had the smallest of criticisms it's that the DVI interface is slightly mis-aligned in the casing but it has a bit of wiggle room so no issues and this is bound to be way cheaper than an Apple original cable.

Jobs
Jobs
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 19 July 2015
This review is from: Jobs (Amazon Instant Video)
A bit slow but an interesting watch. Jobs was never an inventor, more of a great salesman and visionary.

pürminerals 4-in-1 Pressed Mineral Makeup Foundation, Light 8 g
pürminerals 4-in-1 Pressed Mineral Makeup Foundation, Light 8 g

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 16 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was impressed with the colour match, coverage and finish of this foundation. It also feels like it is doing good for your skin, with less redness evident after removal. I suffer with acne and sensitive skin and had no irritation with this product. It also covered my less than perfect skin with a natural effect.
I have used mineral foundations before by other brands and think this one most resembles the bare minerals ready range, but with a less orange tone more suitable for pale skin. Overall I was impressed. It lost one star as it does tend to get shiny and rub off at the end of the day and it also didn't come with an applicator.

Braun Silk Epil 5-541 Wet and Dry Cordless Epilator with Shaver Head
Braun Silk Epil 5-541 Wet and Dry Cordless Epilator with Shaver Head

3.0 out of 5 stars Work in progress, 16 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a new user of epilators, so have nothing to compare this particular epilator to. It certainly came with a number of different heads, making it useful for trimming and epilation. I wasn't quite prepared for the pain of epilating for the first time, but the massaging head did help. The more I used it the less painful it became and I did find it useful to be able to hair remove when and where I wanted to, given that it can be used wet or dry and it holds it charge well. It gave a soft finish to legs not achievable with shaving, but I did find it time consuming. I would need to go over the same section several times and still have hairs left, even long noticeable ones. It might be that with prolonged use I will be able to achieve a completely hair free finish, but I'm not there yet. I still feel like I need to shave if my legs are going to be exposed. It might be that epilation is the issue rather than this particular product.

How to Deal with Difficult People: Smart Tactics for Overcoming the Problem People in Your Life
by Gill Hasson

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't tell the boss about it, 22 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I half considered having this sitting on my work desk and using it for reference every time someone came to ask me a question but I thought that might be not so subtle ;)

The book is easy to read and split into 3 distinct parts. I think there are a number of good life lessons taught in it as you will come across difficult people your whole life in work and personal life.

The text is quite large which makes it easy to read and the techniques are well laid out. As it is a reference book - of sorts - there's also an index to quickly return to pages of interest.

Capstone seem to specialise in a lot of these self help type books (of which I own several) and so there is always a good standard across them which includes this book.

In summary, I think you'd struggle not to identify with or take something away from this book that would help you in your life.

LEGO 41103 Friends Pop Star Recording Studio
LEGO 41103 Friends Pop Star Recording Studio

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and child friendly., 22 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Good value Lego set predominately aimed at girls in the 6-12 age range although an advanced 4-5yr old would also have no problem, as per our family friend.

Colourful characters and Lego allowing the child to use their imagination or build up one of the Lego inspired designs.

Owing to the nature of this, it allows you to add on to the Friends Pop Star range as you wish.

Fun and child friendly.

Braun Series 9 9095CC Wet/Dry Electric Shaver with Clean and Renew Charger
Braun Series 9 9095CC Wet/Dry Electric Shaver with Clean and Renew Charger
Offered by Stationeryhut

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shaver. Good in wet & dry modes - replaces razors. Very comfortable., 10 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having used this for a week and trying wet (in shower and with foam) and dry shaves, I feel well placed to review.

Background: I hardly ever clean shave, preferring a stubble trimmer. When I do clean shave, it's Wilkinson Sword and shaving foam.

Dry shaves: very comfortable. No nicking or afterburn. Not quite as good as a clean shave with a razor but a very clean and tidy look

Wet shave (shower): not having a shower mirror made this slightly difficult but I percevered nevertheless. I found it to be less effective than the dry shave and actually felt some drag on my skin, leaving it slightly red in the lower neck area afterwards.

Shaving foam shave: wet face, applied shaving foam. Very comfortable shave. I'd say it's as good as a razor shave. Very smooth afterwards.

Cleaning: easy. Take off head, rinse under water, brush out chamber (if dry shave). Other shaves, rinse under water does it. This also has a cleaning unit that takes a lubricating methanol mix which when the shaver is inserted and the cleaning programme activated, pumps the fluid into the chamber, rinses away and drys the shaver head. Pretty neat. It's got 3 cleaning programmes but for whatever reason have only ever had it on the most intense - more research needed there.

It comes with a hard case, lead, cleaning unit, 1* cleaning fluid, brush and shaver.

Downside: none really. Have realised I still look relatively youthful without stubble so maybe that's the way forward. The one thing letting it down is the sides trimmer at the back which is pretty poor compared to the one on my stubble trimmer but that's about it.

TP-LINK RE210 AC750 Universal WiFi Range Extender/Easy WiFi Booster with External Antennas (Wall Plug, WPS function, Gigabit Ethernet port, Easy Configuration, 2.4 GHz 300 Mbps, 5 GHz 433 Mbps)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but expensive, 5 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a bit more "in your face" than my other TP Link WiFI Range Extender but ultimately is more powerful in terms of signal boosting and speed offered.

Setup is easy using WPS and the device has an threaten slot on the bottom. I used this in my garage of all places which my phone doesn't detect the house WIFI signal in but this di and provided full WIFI coverage so very pleased.

It's much more expensive than other TP Link Range extenders (almost 3 times the price of my other) and not sure it is necessarily worth that to provide extension of WIFI for everyday usage.

Apple MacBook Air 11-inch Laptop (Core i5 1.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB HDD, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cool, very functional. Love it., 13 May 2015
Always wanted one of these, not because I'm an Apple fan-boy or anything but because they are super sleek, a brilliant size and overall design is excellent. I love it. I feel good having it.

I'm using this as my portable computer with my primary one being a Windows laptop. I've used Macs on and off but in no great level of depth so a lot was new but easy to pick up. While I'm writing this, I could have bought a 'grey' import which apparently has a US keyboard layout but went for the one direct from Amazon which wasn't as cheap as the others but meant I had Amazon's excellent return policy if I needed it. In any case, the one from Amazon has the @ symbol on key 2 which I think is standard for Macs anyway. Key 3 has the UK pound symbol on it on mine which I presume means it is a UK layout so I think the difference is not the position of the @ symbol but the presence of £ or $ on key 3.

Set up was easy and most of what I use application wise is on the cloud. I did install Office for Mac but never really use it. This has OSX Yosemite which is the latest and is very friendly to use. I initially installed Chrome as the primary browser owing to me using XMarks for my bookmarks and out of sheer familiarity but it crashed so it went. I'm now using Safari which supports XMarks too and is quite nice to use when you get used to it. It also has a smoother pinch-to-zoom reaction than Chrome.

My contacts and mail are all on the apps supplied and connect to Google with no issues. I disabled all Apple iCloud features as I live in a Google world.

Things I love about this:

Size
Style
I close the lid, re-open and it really is INSTANT on
Start-up is amazingly quick from a cold start
Back-lit keyboard
Weight
Battery life (can use for a whole week with light>reasonable use)
Rapid recharging

As a portable laptop it is as quick to open and use as any tablet and that's exactly what I wanted. I could have got similarly sized/better spec'd Windows laptops but they lack the build quality. Although this has a small HD, you really don't need it these days if you live on the 'cloud'.

The spec is down on Windows laptops and I'm paying maybe twice the price - which seems nuts - but I seriously do not notice this lacking performance for everyday tasks (web, email, photos, music, MS Office). I've also got Android Studio on it and that can be a bit slow but it's not too bad. In fact I'd go as far as saying this is faster than my better spec'd Windows laptop. The screen is small and not as sharp as I would like but it's still very good. I like the Launchpad which displays apps in a iOS style. The build quality is excellent.

I was worried about electrical vibrations which I'd felt in the shop which seems to be common to MacBooks but on the whole haven't experienced - I think the newer models have a better charger or something.

My only gripe was during an OS update, it was downloading and I closed the lid. It seemed to continue to download and install and got all muddled to the extent it wouldn't start the next day. Fortunately owing to some online instructions I got it into a recovery mode where it downloaded a fresh OS and it retained all of my settings and apps. Good result for bad situation - would Windows do that? I also called Apple Support and while they only recommended what I'd done, they were helpful.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 4, 2015 7:05 PM BST

Einhell TE-CI 18Li Kit  Power X-Change 18V Lithium Cordless Impact Screwdriver Kit with 30 minute fast charge
Einhell TE-CI 18Li Kit Power X-Change 18V Lithium Cordless Impact Screwdriver Kit with 30 minute fast charge

3.0 out of 5 stars Useless without impact screw bits, 2 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This had such great promise from the product description but is as good as useless without the right screw bits which I was unaware of being a home DIY guy and not a pro.

The primary issue is that the bit holder can't (on its own) hold normal screw bits - they are too small. I then tried extending the bit holder using an additional bit holder to hold my normal screw bit but this was no good - it spins like a Kenwood mixer! If they wanted to, they could easily supply their own bits. A trip to ScrewFix got me a set of impact screw heads and bit holder which made it work just fine.

Other than that, it arrived in an over-sized hard plastic case with a heavy duty lithium ion battery.

Nice features? The LEDs but you can't switch them on or off independent of the motor.

**UPDATE**

Having bought my impact screw bit set with it's own bit holder, I have since discovered that my existing collection of non-impact bits do work fine when combined with the new bit holder extension which itself fits fine in the screw driver. In essence, don't think the screw driver on it's own is any good at holding bits without a suitable bit holder to complement it (apparently my Bosch bit holder wasn't suitable - bizarre!).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20