Profile for Mrs S. Wilby > Reviews

Mrs S. Wilby

Slave to Fortune
Slave to Fortune

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read!, 30 Jan. 2017
This review is from: Slave to Fortune (Kindle Edition)
I couldn't put this book down. Though it's not my usual era or genre of book, once I opened it I was hooked. More of the same please.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 31, 2017 7:05 PM GMT

The Normandy Privateer
The Normandy Privateer

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 5 Dec. 2016
I sincerely hope this book is but the first of a long series. It is well researched and equally well written, in my opinion up there with Alexander Kent et al. Can't wait for more.

HMS Aphrodite (Sea Command Book 1)
HMS Aphrodite (Sea Command Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Tankie, 18 Oct. 2016
Juvenile writing style, implausible storylines,and keeping track of the name changes make this a poor book. I suggest this author does more research on the Royal Navy of the 18th and 19th centuries, then reads C S Forester, Alexander Kent, et al, then tries different career.

It's Not Indigestion, I'll Eat What I Like (Napoleon's Spanish Ulcer Book 3)
It's Not Indigestion, I'll Eat What I Like (Napoleon's Spanish Ulcer Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait to read the next book, 11 Dec. 2013
The Napoleonic wars in Spain and Portugal as we have never seen them before! Joshua Wellbeloved and his "Hornets" cause alarm and despondency to the French with the aid of local Guerilleros. Book 3 in the series, take my tip, start with book 1, "A despite of Hornets", and follow the adventures of Wellbeloved and his Hornets as they increase in number, taking in Spanish, Portuguese and German platoons and training them to the extremely high standards required to become firstly a "Wasp", (fully trained but unblooded), then after seeing action, a fully functioning "Hornet". Well written, brilliant storyline, why have I not heard of this author before now?

Swallowing Portugal Will Settle My Spanish Bellyache (Napoleon's Spanish Ulcer Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Could'nt put it down, 11 Dec. 2013
As per my review of "A mild case of indigestion", We follow Joshua Wellbeloved and his "Hornets". This is book 4 in the series, and I can't wait for the next one. Excellent, excellent, excellent, and I am an avid follower of Napoleonic conflict, so have read all the Hornblower, Oliver Quintrell, Ramage, Aubrey et al. This author has absolute mastery of the written word, I am absolutely smitten, - MORE PLEASE!!!!!

A Mild Case Of Indigestion (Napoleon's Spanish Ulcer Book 2)
A Mild Case Of Indigestion (Napoleon's Spanish Ulcer Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Read!!!, 11 Dec. 2013
I bought this book because it was quite cheap. - Wow! If only all books were as good. I was expecting a run of the mill Naval story, - not a bit of it! I ended up buying all 4 of these volumes purely and simply because I couldn't wait to read the next chapter. The Reader follows the further adventures of Joshua Wellbeloved, American ex-pat who has taken the side of King George instead of the revolutionary movement, and Lieutenant in His Majesty's Royal Navy. Wellbeloved has formed his "Hornets", who are equipped with the Ferguson breech - loading rifle and extremely well-trained. In a nutshell, they are 17th century Commandos. Their exploits reach the ears of Wellington, who takes them under his wing as an entity completely separate from the Admiralty and Horse Guards. I will not spoil the story further, I guarantee that once you start to read, you will be completely hooked.

TASSIMO Suchard Hot Chocolate 16 T DISCs/pods (Pack of 5)
TASSIMO Suchard Hot Chocolate 16 T DISCs/pods (Pack of 5)
Offered by E.U. Xtores

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Cadbury's, 5 April 2013
We have difficulty finding the Suchard's Hot Chocolate in the supermarket and when we do the price is ridiculous.This solves the problem. Delivered to our door, much nicer than the Cadbury's variety which is also available for the Tassimo machine, and reasonably priced. What more can you ask? - Brilliant!

Acre (Sir Sidney Smith Nautical Adventure Series Book 4)
Acre (Sir Sidney Smith Nautical Adventure Series Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars A new rival for the best of seafaring tales., 21 Feb. 2013
I am always glad to see new authors of 18th and 19th century sailing stories, Tom Grundner enters the arena with style and panache, mixing fact and fiction in the best traditions of Alexander Kent, Dudley Pope, etc. An excellent read, I look forward to more of the same.

HMS DIAMOND (Second Book in the Sir Sidney Smith Series)
HMS DIAMOND (Second Book in the Sir Sidney Smith Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent follow - up, 21 Feb. 2013
An excellent continuation of the Sir Sydney Smith series. A worthy rival to Seth Hunter, Alaric Bond, et al. Good storylines well written, I couldn't put it down.

A First Command
A First Command

1.0 out of 5 stars written by a ten year old, 21 Feb. 2013
This review is from: A First Command (Kindle Edition)
As an afficionado of the days of sail I read a lot of this genre. Compared to other authors the writing style is appalling. Whilst the story itself is quite good, the grammar, layout and punctuation, as well as the style of writing, could well have been done by a ten year old, e.g. - Then they went, and they did, and they saw, and then they..... etc., etc.