Profile for davidnesbit@hotmail.com > Reviews

davidnesbit@hotmail.com (Surabaya, Indonesia)

ALEX FERGUSON My Autobiography
ALEX FERGUSON My Autobiography

2.0 out of 5 stars Alex Ferguson, 22 Feb. 2014
Probably a good book for those who havent read his first autobiography and also somehow manahed to avoid all the spoilers in the media when this one was first released, but not really much good for the rest of us. Fergie seems intent on settling old scores, as others have said, and being controversial for its own sake. He also comes over as being hypocritical with his nonsensical statements regarding 'never holding a grudge' and 'loyalty is the most important thing to me' particularly standing out. i wonder what his former players truly think of this book, knowing now that subsequent to any conversation they had with him he was then rushing off into another room to jot down its details for inclusion in this book. Loyalty, hmmmm.

Managing My Life: My  Autobiography: The Autobiography
Managing My Life: My Autobiography: The Autobiography
by Alex Ferguson

4.0 out of 5 stars Questions unanswered, 27 July 2001
Previous reviewers have praised Ferguson's forthrightness, and yet I can't help but feel he has left one or two unanswered questions. He doesn't touch on the subject of why he stepped down as Scotland team boss after the '86 World Cup, and he nevers really explains United's approach to him, so the reader is left concluding the two must have been linked. He also fails to explain the special pressures he may have felt having his son, Darren, as a player at United at the same time as him or his reasons for selling him.

Jan The Man: From Anfield to Vetch Field
Jan The Man: From Anfield to Vetch Field
by Jan Molby

3.0 out of 5 stars A blunt and refreshing read, 24 May 2001
As a liverpool fan I was interested to read this book about the long serving Dane. As a player he was well liked for his personality as well as his ability.
His book takes us through his career in pretty much the way most football autobiographies do regarding their subject, but deviates in two interesting and unusual ways. Firstly he is very outspoken on things such as his own ability, the way he was treated by others through out his career, and his time in prison for driving offences.
The second deviation of interest is that this book contains whole chapters of other people giving their opinions on Jan, and not all of them are complimentary! Even Kenny Dalglish is somewhat critical of him.
Jan really failed to live up to his potential as a player, and has started his management career with mixed success at Swansea and now Kidderminster and this is readily admitted by Jan himself in his book.
In fairness, this is a book I would recommend Liverpool fans to buy, but supporters of other clubs might be better off trying to cadge a read from their local library

A Matter Of Opinion
A Matter Of Opinion
by Alan Hansen

4.0 out of 5 stars Hansen tells it as he sees it, 13 April 2001
This review is from: A Matter Of Opinion (Paperback)
Never mind if you like the guy or not, this book is a better read than most football books. I'm not sure if it can really be classed as an autobiography, though. Hansen spenda the majority of the book telling us his opinions on football (and, yes, Kenny Dalglish in particular) and not so much on the details of his own career. It should be remembered that this is actually his second stab at an autobiography, and although I haven't read his first book, I can only assume it contained more personal anecdotes and so he wished to avoid repeating himself too much. For me though, Hansen comes over the same as on tv; a little too smug and arrogant for his own good. The one question that keeps coming back to the reader is "If you know it all why did you bottle management?" An interesting but, ultimately, annoying read.

Kenny Dalglish My Autobiography
Kenny Dalglish My Autobiography
by Kenny Dalglish

2.0 out of 5 stars A book which fails to do justice to a legend, 13 April 2001
Although it's somewhat out of date now, this book should be held up as a typical fotballers autobiography.Absolutely dire. Dalglish comes accross in print exactly as he does on tv. He gives the impression that every word is being dragged out of his nose against his will, which is understandable if your team has just been hammered and you're facing the glare of two dozen journalists, but not if you want anyone to dosh out their hard earned on your book. Dalglish takes us through his playing and managing career without really revealing anything the average football fan didn't already know. There are some exceptions, though. He takes us movingly through Hillsborough and its aftermath, and explains fully his reasons for quitting Liverpool, yet barely touches on his reasonsfor stepping down as team boss at Blackburn. An updated edition including the debacles at Newcastle and Celtic might be fun to read, but I'm not holding my breath. The biggest surprise with this book is why Dalglish bothered paying a ghost writer. Henry Winter is a wonderful writer but here his writing comes accross ever bit as bland as Dalglish and one wonders how much say Winter had in deciding the style the book was to be written in. My advice to Dalglish fans is to buy the videos, remember his talent, but definatly forget the book.