Profile for Yeti > Reviews

Content by Yeti

Yeti (Amsterdam, The Netherlands)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Wonder
Wonder
by R J Palacio

3.0 out of 5 stars Too sickly sweet and American (fairy tale happy endings and one-dimensional characters) ..., 20 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Wonder (Paperback)
Too sickly sweet and American (fairy tale happy endings and one-dimensional characters) to my taste. I think it is a children's book and as such it might help make children more aware of how cruel they sometimes can be with eachother.
But it is by no means a grownup sort of novel. Honestly!

Capital
Capital
by John Lanchester

2.0 out of 5 stars like a soap, 21 May 2013
This review is from: Capital (Paperback)
Zadie Smith calls this book "hysterically funny, very moving and soooo elegantly done". Note to self: never read anything by Zadie nor ever pick up another book by mr Lanchester.
Reading this book is like watching a few episodes of a mediocre soap that started long before you started watching it and will continue long after you have stopped watching.
Mr Lanchester has a nice enough writing style, but this book just doesn't go anywhere. The characters are one-dimensional. The story lines are not very exciting. The thing with the postcards makes you think that there will be some brilliant denouement but it fizzles out and that's it.
Why it takes 577 pages to get no message whatsoever across, I will never know. Not worth the effort.

Me Before You
Me Before You

1.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, 5 April 2012
This review is from: Me Before You (Kindle Edition)
This is chicklit, no more no less.
Tedious, predictable, with one-dimensional characters. Unrealistic and ignorant. Bursting with clichés. I have struggled through past the half way mark, but it is not getting any better and I am now giving up.
Why on earth so many people give it 5 stars is beyond me. I have learned my lesson: Don't be taken in by rave reviews, let's face it, lots of people raved about the Da Vinci Code and that was a load of old cobblers too.

Sister
Sister
by Rosamund Lupton

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 11 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
This psychological thriller is a real page turner and I finished it in 2 days' time.
Rosamund Lupton writes well and in a few instances had me in tears (maybe because I am very close with my sister as well)!
Unfortunately, there are annoying medical inaccuracies in this book as in most books that deal with medical issues (sorry, can't help it, I am a medical person myself) but apart from that I liked this book.
The unexpected twist at the end was a good one if you ask me. It added a little bit extra, as it gives a new view on things and keeps you thinking about the story for a while after you have finished reading it.

The Hand That First Held Mine
The Hand That First Held Mine
by Maggie O'Farrell

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, 31 Jan. 2012
It is so nice to find that there are still writers who can write as beautifully as Maggie O'Farrell! This is the first novel by her that I read, but I will certainly read her other books as well. Very vivid, beautiful description of scenes and people. She really makes things come to life! Glad to have stumbled across her book.

Big Bang Theory - Season 1-4 Complete [DVD] [2011]
Big Bang Theory - Season 1-4 Complete [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Johnny Galecki
Offered by mh trading

5.0 out of 5 stars funny funny funny!!!!, 8 Oct. 2011
One of the funniest sitcoms of all time!
Brilliant dialogue, lovable characters. Extremely funny!
I can't get enough of it.

Meglio Morti
Meglio Morti
by Marcello Fois

1.0 out of 5 stars Better not, 8 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Meglio Morti (Paperback)
It is rare to find such a badly written, incomprehensible book.
The plot is totally unclear, the dialogues all over the place. I don't know. I didn't understand what it was all about, but I read it to the end, just in case all would become clear. Well it didn't.
One of the biggest wastes of time.

Three Cups Of Tea
Three Cups Of Tea
by Greg Mortenson

1.0 out of 5 stars An ode to Saint Greg, 1 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Three Cups Of Tea (Paperback)
I do not believe this story. Maybe this guy did some good work in a poor country. But when you read this account, you wonder why this man is not more famous than for instance the Pope or someone, seeing as supposedly EVERYONE who ever comes close to him is immediately mesmerized by his wonderful personality.
YUCK. People like that don't exist, but if they did, they would be modest and not allow such a nauseating book to be written about them
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 7, 2012 1:41 PM BST

The Book of Negroes
The Book of Negroes
by Lawrence Hill

3.0 out of 5 stars wel researched, 25 July 2011
This review is from: The Book of Negroes (Paperback)
I cannot deny that this is a historically important novel about a very black chapter in history. I wanted to know more about the era of the slave trade, and I learned a lot from this novel.
But am I the only one who, towards the end of this book, got more and more irritated by Ms Perfect (Aminata)? She is extremely beautiful, extremely intelligent, practises medicine, is a very good midwife, has a perfect memory, learns new languages in weeks, plays chess really wel, has beautiful handwriting, is adored by everyone, is a gifted storyteller and admired by even the Queen herself. Puh-lease. A little flaw to her character would have made her a lot more likeable!

The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin: Complete Box Set [DVD] [1976]
The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin: Complete Box Set [DVD] [1976]
Dvd ~ Leonard Rossiter
Offered by Bee-Entertained

3.0 out of 5 stars Leonard Rossiter is the best, 12 Mar. 2011
A vintage 70s sitcom, that is, the first 3 disks. I just love to watch Reggie being Reggie.
The 4th is a sequel to this, but was made in the nineties, long after Leonard Rossiter's sad demise. It proves that the whole series was great because of him, and they should have left it at that.
I won't even bother with the 5th disk.
But if you like Leonard Rossiter, than this is definitely worth the money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4