Profile for C. Nobes > Reviews

Hothouse Flower
Hothouse Flower
by Lucinda Riley

2.0 out of 5 stars A very shallow read, 3 May 2013
This review is from: Hothouse Flower (Paperback)
As most others, I liked the premise of the book, stately homes and the Kate Morton style story are my 'easy reading' plots of choice, but I found this book hugely shallow, one-dimensional and didn't get anything out of it at all. The Julia/ Kit love story was sickly sweet, the dialogue, including the constant French utterances from French-speaking characters irritated me (I could probably have coped with Adrienne but Giselle as well??) and it all felt forced from Thailand onwards. It did hold a slight tension that made me continue reading it, and I enjoyed the first half of the Crawford story and the early life of Olivia, but everything turned out predictable (and repetitive). Small things bother me, for example why did it mention adult bones next to the car? It's like she needed to pull out another surprise to keep the story going. A very shallow style of writing without any insights into the real world.

The House at Riverton
The House at Riverton
by Kate Morton

3.0 out of 5 stars For lovers of stately homes and period dramas, 19 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The House at Riverton (Paperback)
This book read very much like a whole series of Downton Abbey or similar Upstairs/Downstairs family epic. I felt like I'd seen it all before. It did just about hold my attention but wasn't quite what I expected. I felt a bit cheated after the intriguing blurb of the book occurred only at the very end, after a whole (slightly slow) lifetime of the sisters who turned out to be quite unlikeable by the end, thus taking away from the anticipated drama/intrigue. It won't stop me looking up other Kate Morton books, as I do enjoy the premise of stately homes, memory and secrets, I just don't think this was her best offering. I much preferred The Distant Hours.

The Age of Miracles
The Age of Miracles
by Karen Thompson Walker

1.0 out of 5 stars How did this ever get published?, 4 Sept. 2012
This review is from: The Age of Miracles (Hardcover)
One of the worst books I've ever read. I was intrigued by the idea of it, and if it had been tackled with just a touch more subtlety or scientific understanding then it would have been vastly improved. Wild claims about gravity sickness and decaying magnetic fields are banded about, character's actions explained by changes in the Earth's atmosphere rather than giving them any responsibility for their actions. A ridiculous read that made me scoff out loud on most if not every page. A good idea that was over-developed to the extreme.

If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things
If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things
by Jon McGregor

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but painful, 13 July 2006
This book has the best opening I have ever read. It sums up perfectly the style of the book, beginning with a poem that never really goes away. McGregor's use of language really appealed to me. Different and lyrical. However, it became too miserable a read for me, despite the perfect opening. It began to make me feel sick to read it, when the worlds of the people of the street revealed to be quite so dark and disasterous. I didn't want to keep reading it, but I was driven on by the mysterious nature of the story, although the ending, with its cliffhanger effect leading up to it didn't seem to standup to the build-up in my opinion. An amazing style, really capturing the poetic nature of language and the beauty that can be found in the urban setting, but it was spoilt for me by the repeated tragedy and bitterness of the book.

Riot on an Empty Street
Riot on an Empty Street

5.0 out of 5 stars 'sheer simplicity', 12 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Riot on an Empty Street (Audio CD)
I found myself listening to this album to begin with, not as a whole, but one song at a time, on repeat, until the next song would capture my mood and become just as addictive. Whilst being a beautiful album, each song retains its own individuality and what's more you can still sing along with them. 'I'd rather dance with you', slightly more upbeat than the rest, has become a huge favourite but I love the sophisticated feel and sheer simplicity of the songs such as know-how, consisting of gorgeous harmony and quiet background accompaniment.
Altogether, this album has become a favourite of mine, perfect for the sleepy or quiet moments whilst still being life-affirming.

Green Wing Series 2 [DVD]
Green Wing Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tamsin Greig

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant comedy, 5 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Green Wing Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
After becoming a huge favourite of mine, it was quite a wait for the second series. However, it was worth it, and Green Wing series two is as funny as the first, whilst developing the characters in all kinds of directions, giving them a greater depth and yet retaining and building on what makes them all so appealing.

Whilst series 2 has more emphasis on the plot-side than series 1, (predominantly the changing relationship of the 3 main characters, which is fascinating, very funny and quite painful at times) it still has its random comedy moments that made the first series for me, mainly courtesy of the fantastic Sue White and the so-cringeworthy-it's-funny Alan. Though Guy and his keyboard will always be my favourite!

Its fair to say that if you liked series 1 you will definately like series 2. If you haven't seen series 1 I'd still recommend getting series 1 first, as it will allow you to fully appreciate the development of the characters, but you will be back for series 2 I'm sure of it.

Green Wing Series 1 [DVD]
Green Wing Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tamsin Greig

5.0 out of 5 stars True brilliance!, 29 May 2006
This review is from: Green Wing Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Green Wing is well worth getting on DVD. Its not one of those programmes where once you have seen an episode you don't want to go back to it, each episode is so beautifully crafted that its difficult not to watch them over and over. Its the only TV programme that can make me laugh out loud on a (very) regular basis, its just so hilarious! Can cheer me up just thinking about it! And there's all kinds of humour it in, whilst retaining a strong plot that will make you fall in love with all the characters. Even Guy!

Although i recognise that it doesn't appeal to some people, (though I can't for the life of me see why anyone wouldn't like it!!) if you do like it, the DVD is worth getting! The commentaries are by the cast, and are therefore hilarious, and there are great deleted scenes.

In my opinion, Green Wing has made the world a better place. Buy it.

Illinoise
Illinoise
Offered by Side Two

5.0 out of 5 stars Mood-affecting music, 29 May 2006
This review is from: Illinoise (Audio CD)
It's rare for music to be able to actually change my mood. But this album is so strong that it can do just that. It truly is amazing. There are some standout tracks that grab you immediately, hugely cheerful ones like Chicago and Come on! Feel the Illinoise and beautiful ones like UFO, but the others slowly takeover, the ones more subtly happy or subtly beautiful. I started with Seven Swans and loved it, but I would say this one has more variation.I've had it for 3 days and my favourite has already changed at least 5 times.

I happened upon Sufjan Stevens by chance, in fact I think Snow Patrol listed Chicago as their favourite song and I thought I would check out a man who could inspire others to huge heights! So glad I did.

Apple iPod 40GB with Click Wheel - 4th Generation [M9268B/A]
Apple iPod 40GB with Click Wheel - 4th Generation [M9268B/A]

2.0 out of 5 stars Very temperamental, 27 Sept. 2005
I've had my 40GB ipod for nearly a year now and i've had to order a replacement 4 times. Although easy-to-use and great when it's working, it's so temperamental - one minute it is working fine, next it is skipping through all my songs refusing to play any of them, and finally turning itself off and refusing to turn on again. My warranty is about to run out, and again the ipod is screwed up. I will not be buying a new warranty or ordering another free replacement - its more trouble than it's worth. I'll be looking for an alternative mp3 player.

The Flower Boy
The Flower Boy
by Karen Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars A touching book, 13 Jun. 2005
This review is from: The Flower Boy (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. Although sad, it had a lightness to it - the viewpoint of an innocent child growing up in a divided country that he doesn't understand. The book remains interesting and varied by introducing the history of the minor characters, and focuses on the difficulties that come with change. It is a touching book, that keeps you captivated without needing an excessive unrealistic plot, merely the changing lives of two very different families.

Page: 1 | 2